Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Heat moulding Bont shoes

I've just got some Bont A-twos, and have tried the heat moulding process a few times (20 minutes at 70 degrees C), but I can't seem to change the shape of the sole enough to make them comfortable, even doing the screwdriver-handle trick.

When the come out of the oven I'm never sure they've become soft enough - you can squidge them between finger and thumb, but they still feel fairly resilient. The various videos online don't give an idea of how much softer they go when heated so I'm never sure I'm doing it right.

For those of you who have done it, how would you describe the level of flexibility that's allowed you to mould them? I reckon I need about 2-3mm of extra width in the area around the balls of my feet - is this realistic?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

mustard | 11 years ago
0 likes

How accurate is your oven? - I'b be inclined to leave them in a little longer or turn the heat up a degree or two, or even better get an oven thermometer and get it to 70°C accurately. Less than a tenner: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/11235/Oven-Thermometer?src=gfeed&gclid=COiC-s_...

ade replied to mustard | 11 years ago
0 likes

I already thought of that and went out and bought one of those!

I'll try extending the oven time and see if it makes a difference.

Latest Comments