Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Exercise Bike vs Turbo Trainer

I own a exercise bike but I have considered getting a turbo trainer. When I am on my current exercise bike I can still hit the relevant heart rate zones when training. Plus the bike is very quiet, unlike any turbo trainer I have come across.

So the question is what benefit would I actually get out of a turbo trainer? Other than having a actual bike feel and multiple gears. When I am training at 155 bpm does it matter whether it is on a Turbo or exercise bike.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

johnstarc | 7 years ago
0 likes

You won't find a new spin bike of any quality for the price you can buy even a KK road machine. I have a spin bike and I like it, but I will probably get a trainer this year too, at least to use after Xmas.

big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Using your own bike on a turbo sounds on the face of it a good idea but the truth is they flex too much.A good quality exercise bike like a schwinn spin bike £1000 or a Wattbike £2500 are much better.To be honest unless it's peeing down all winter dress up warm and ride out doors.Buy a winter hack (charity shop job) and ride.It's all shite in the winter but it has to be done.Better idea go to Tenerife for the winter 30c ha ha if only!  1 I think your point about hr rate at 150bpm etc is also right.Your heart and lungs get the same work out and don't know if your in or out on your bike.Mind you 2hours on a exercise bike at 150bpm takes some doing.It's like climbing a 1% hill no free wheeling corners etc to take a brake also if thats your chosen route use a cooling fan it's gets hot in the house.

millskid replied to big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes
big mick wrote:

Using your own bike on a turbo sounds on the face of it a good idea but the truth is they flex too much.A good quality exercise bike like a schwinn spin bike £1000 or a Wattbike £2500 are much better.To be honest unless it's peeing down all winter dress up warm and ride out doors.Buy a winter hack (charity shop job) and ride.It's all shite in the winter but it has to be done.Better idea go to Tenerife for the winter 30c ha ha if only!  1 I think your point about hr rate at 150bpm etc is also right.Your heart and lungs get the same work out and don't know if your in or out on your bike.Mind you 2hours on a exercise bike at 150bpm takes some doing.It's like climbing a 1% hill no free wheeling corners etc to take a brake also if thats your chosen route use a cooling fan it's gets hot in the house.

you are right about, having no breaks, stops or freewheeling on a exercise bike. I tend to do 40 minutes between 140 and 153 bpm. There is no way I could do 2 hours at that rate. After 40 min I am very tired.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If all you are worried about it your heart rate, then it doesn't matter.

But for position, cadence, muscle groups....etc, Then you can't beat using your own bike on a trainer

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

No idea. Doesn't feel like it and the OP was more concerned about heart rate stuff.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

You use different muscles on an exercise bike I think, unless its something like a wattbike.

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I still use my ancient old exercise bike. Seems a lot of faff to use a turbo.

Latest Comments