Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Another doper

Just very quickly as i'm not at a computer. Matt White has quit Greenedge after admitting doping while at US Postal, without having USADA or anyone chasing him.

My twitter feed is going mental with the story, I'm sure someone could post a link for me or the team will make a news story here.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes

Purely out of interest, as I have no knowledge of the sport at the time, was Stephen Roche 'clean'?

NeilG83 replied to Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes

He has always denied doping, but according to wikipedia in 2000 an Italian judge release a report that said that Roche took EPO in 1993, his last year as a professional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Roche#Alleged_drug_use

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

It looks like Michael Rogers was named in the USADA report as well, so I guess he'll be on his way from Sky to some other team with no scruples.

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

I wonder if Riis has read Nico's piece. His views are admirable but don't seem very compatible with Saxo. Hopefully USADA or another anti-doping agency will be opening an investigation into Riis's past soon.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I like the Roche has said this, but then he's joining SB-TB, so teaming up with - Alberto Contador, Volodymir Gustov, Benjamín Noval, Sergio Paulinho and of course Bjarne Riis  19

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nicholas Roche is a perfect example of a rider who hovers just outside the top of the peloton because he is often beaten by dopers. He isnt the best cyclist in the world by any means but if you were to strip out the dopers he would be getting on the podium an awful lot more. He must find it very frustrating.

NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm glad that Nicolas Roche has got a strong opinion on the subject and that he is open about his views, but you can understand why some riders don't bother giving their opinion. Yesterday Roche was being slated for an something he said in an interview on Irish telievison and Alex Dowsett and Steve Cummings were stitched up by the media earler in the week.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I remember that incident. Can't say I like him from what I've seen or read of him.

I glanced at my parents' Daily Mail today (yes, I have washed my hands since) and Daley Thompson didn't hold back on slating Armstrong.

Someone else with strong words on the subject is Nicolas Roche:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-if-you-dope-d...
That is my kind of rider opinion - clear and unambiguous.

And if you want a hint of what it must have been like to be in the eye of the storm:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/betsy-andreu-no-longer-a-voice-in-th...
One seriously underrated woman (until now, perhaps).

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

According to Cycling News he sent one of Garmin's riders to Doctor Del Moral when he worked there. Vaughters fired him. Why Green Edge hired him is anybody's guess, but IMHO the sport is much better off without him and his like.

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

This is just getting daft.
Im sure he thinks he is doing the right thing but Matt White need not resign.
He should just fess up and do his best to keep his own team clean from now on.
There is going to be no one left at this rate!
Bygones and all that.

Latest Comments