Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Brisbane in November

Hello all

I'm going on holiday with the missus in three weeks to Brisbane to stay with some friends, none of whom cycle. I was thinking of trying to hire a bike and get out and about between trips and pre-organised outings. The area I'm staying in is Wynnum West. Does anyone know somewhere I can hire a decent bike for a few days in the city and perhaps some nice routes I can get out of town to so I can go exploring? Any advise much appreciated.

Many thanks

Si

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

simonofthepiemans | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the tips folks. Only four sleeps to go. I'll let you know how I get on.

nickobec | 11 years ago
0 likes

Head over to the Bicycling Network Australia Forum Queensland section and ask there, there will be a few people willing to help out.

Wrong side of Australia for me.

mathewshotbolt | 11 years ago
0 likes

i loved living in Brisvegas for the time i did and i lived at the foot of Mt Coot-tha.

There are heaps of great roads in the surrounding areas and lots of rolling (sometimes strenuous) terrain to get out and about both on a road bike and an Mtb.

They have great cycle paths running alongside the river (past the Gabba) and Mt coot-tha has some great riding and spectacular views.

If they are still running, contact the "Gap cycling club" as they were based just down the road from me and might show you the ropes if you ask nicely!

Have a great time out there.

Mat (jealous)

bigant | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi there,
I've lived in Brissie since 2003, it's a great place to cycle with flat bits, hilly bits, bike paths and MTb trails. Not sure where you can hire decent bikes however check out www.roadgrime.com.au and www.mtbdirt.com.au for some local forums that should be able to supply plenty of info/help.

Bear in Mind it's fecking hot in November, it gets very humid so you need to carry plenty of water. I'd also recommend buying sunscreen when you arrive in oz and getting a sport specific 30+ SPF one as the sun is fierce as hell. Most people ride early in the morning before it heats up. As you will be bayside it will be a bit cooler though.

There are always spare city cycle bikes as no one uses them  19 the hire helmets look a bit  31

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Number 1
Take your helmet with you, compulsory helmet laws.

Number 2
They have a city bike hire scheme.

Number 3
You can hire a helmet if using the scheme.

Number 4
If you use the scheme but don't want to bring some of Australia's wildlife home with you, refer to Number 1.

http://road.cc/content/news/53713-brisbane-woman-claims-citys-bike-share...

http://www.citycycle.com.au/

simonofthepiemans replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Simon. Already got my helmet bag ready, waiting and free from insectoids. I want to hire a road bike though if possible, unless there's any good trails round Brisbane. Perhaps both...

Latest Comments