Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

nearly first time roadie

I do currently ride something that resembles a road bike but it has seen better days, used it for commuting about 5 miles to work.I want to start putting in the miles at weekends ( as many as i can before the wife and kids realize i'm missing ).Sadly money is very tight max at a push would be £400, btwin triban 3 has very good reviews for a bike at £299 also Raleigh airlite 100( £330 down from £550 at tredz) , can't decide between the two.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

roly | 11 years ago
0 likes

i bought the btwin in its previous incarnation the sport 1. now the triban 3 has carbon forks, but pretty much the same. i lasted a couple of thousand miles on the wheels then upgraded to mavic open sports on tiagra hubs for £150. Done 8,000 miles in two years and cannot justify upgrading. did 135 miles a couple of sundays ago and other than that use it for the commute three days a week in all weathers. best value bike ever as is all the btwin cycle clothing. it doesnt get as much press as they dont advertise with any if the mags, but its a great bike. only expense is i get it properly serviced by lbs every six months which is worth every penny.

Marauder | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have been looking into buying a new winter bike and was also looking at the TDF at Halfords.

Looking at what is on offer for with the Charge Filter I am going to have a rethink  39 .

I am please by work had put the C2W scheme on hold for the time being otherwise I would have ordered one by now  4 .

Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes

12 months ago I bought a road bike, I last had one about 45 years ago and had rarely cycled since.

Knowing nothing I went to Halfords and bought their most heavily discounted machine, a Carrera TdF at £260 and found it to be a miracle of lightness and speed compared with the bike I rode as a youth.

I've since read on forums like this that Halfords are rubbish and their products not worth looking at.

All I can say is that the bike has been 100% reliable and I've enjoyed riding it.

I guess the moral is, don't believe the hype.

lc1981 replied to Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not everything that Halfords sell is rubbish - the Boardman range being a good example. They do sell some rubbish and reports of their customer service, er, vary, but that's not to say that there's anything wrong with some of their bikes.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Raleigh airlite was good when I got it three years ago.

It was £282, and had carbon forks, full sora groupset, michelin tyres, black spokes and rims (which are THE TASTE), san Marco saddle and the comfiest bars I've ever used (except for Ergonovas).

It has been so far downgraded, that its just not worth it anymore.

An Allez is just a little more expensive than your budget, and then you're getting a real bike with well known quality.

Just tell your wife that its better than spending a fiver on a pack of Ciggarettes every day.

Works on my parents.  4

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

try going going bike for second hand,
though there are a fair number of good sale bikes now

eg http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-filter-mid-2012/ 800->400

daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for the dearest within your budget - or look at second hand - have you checked ebay?

bigdaddibare replied to daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes

I thought that but the btwin triban 3 was recently reviewed by cycling active against gt gtr series 4 (£700) vitus decium (£900) and the pinnacle dolomite 1 (£500) and it came out the better bike.

Latest Comments