Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sunday morning/ all day club run!

I have been out 3 times with my local club (Ribble Valley, which I loved going out with) on a Sunday. I always thought that a Sunday morning club run, would just take up my morning! However, I was often getting back at 2 or 3pm. My weekends are precious and my other half was not exactly happy with getting back late in the afternoon.

Is this the norm for club runs? I personally would love to meet up at 9, have a 2 or 3 hour blast and be back home for 1130 am at the latest. Thus I still have the best part of the day.

Do any clubs have this type of run? am I the only one that thinks a 2-3 hours is enough on a sunday?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

I agree, I sacked of going for club runs due to the extended period of time taken (and I dont eat cakes). 9am start 2pm get home.

I now train alone, but I can leave when I like and get train for as far as I like

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

A club run without a cake stop is...

Disagreeable.

However, why not just set out earlier on your own, and meet the club for an hour or two before turning back with anyone else who wants to.

Or, strike a deal with your 'other half' so that you get cycling every other weekend and she gets you in between.

A bit of pragmatism should prevail here.

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have you thought about putting a ride up in Sky Rides Social Cycling?

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

There may be others locally who would like a 2-3 hour ride. Have you asked the club run group what they think? Could have a 'split' ride with 2 groups. Put the word around the club via forum/meetings or other cyclists, ask in LBS or put something on their noticeboard.

Our club run starts at 9:30 and they're often out until 1-2pm (add half an hour from/to my house). That's not good for me with a young family so I usually get out for 2 or 3 hours solo. I try to get rolling by 8am unless it's a particularly cold morning.

MattT53 | 11 years ago
0 likes

As an alternative philosophy, I'm still looking for a club run that doesn't start before 11 ....

lbuch | 11 years ago
0 likes

Whats wrong with everyone! Cant beat riding all day - returning at tea time feeling that post ride glow - settle down with a drink and put ya feet up - Brill.

notfastenough replied to lbuch | 11 years ago
0 likes
lbuch wrote:

Whats wrong with everyone! Cant beat riding all day - returning at tea time feeling that post ride glow - settle down with a drink and put ya feet up - Brill.

I'd jump at the chance if I was still single!

Millskid, I think that's all anyone starts out with, but it's only short step to naming the group, registering on British Cycling and buying a job lot of kit with your name on.

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Millskid, I'm a bit further north than you and the clubs around Lancaster tend to operate a similar policy of meeting up at 9-9.30 and ride until 1-2pm. That's always put me off as I'm out the door by 7.30am on a weekend and back by 11-12. Can't think of any clubs in Lancashire that do that.

Why are cyclists so bothered by a cake stop anyway? Are there any other sports where participants have a pastry fixation?

millskid replied to arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Millskid, I'm a bit further north than you and the clubs around Lancaster tend to operate a similar policy of meeting up at 9-9.30 and ride until 1-2pm. That's always put me off as I'm out the door by 7.30am on a weekend and back by 11-12. Can't think of any clubs in Lancashire that do that.

Why are cyclists so bothered by a cake stop anyway? Are there any other sports where participants have a pastry fixation?

I have been looking at clubs a bit further out, lancaster, southport etc. You are right all the clubs around here have the same all day ride!

Someone else mentioned setting up your own club. I am not sure if I would do that. However, I would consider trying to get a local ride organised for every sunday.

I could Set up a website or blog and see if I could generate some interest. It would literally be meet up at 8am and go for a 2 hour blast, no coffee or cake stops.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

My lot (Chorlton Velo in Manchester) meet up at 8am and are usually back for 12-ish give or take a bit. No cafe stop (although those in no rush often stop for a brew when we get back), and there's often a couple that say they need to be back for 11 or whatever so turn for home early.

The early start was the main reason I contacted them, my other half wouldn't be chuffed with a 2-3pm arrival.

To be honest, with the conspiring pressures of modern work/family life and an increase in uptake of cycling, I expect the early run to become more popular. If you really can't fit in with the club, set up your own and I don't doubt you'll have a few people before long. Besides, you'll get to design your own kit - what could be cooler than that?!

Farky | 11 years ago
0 likes

I haven't been able to get out with my local club because they start at 7am....7AM on a freckin SUNDAY!

I know it's great to get back at a decent time and all, something I'd prefer but why not give up the cafe stop and just ride for 3 hours! Then cafe afterwards. That's how we used to do it in Ireland.

I'd rather have a decent roast dinner at 1 than a cafe stop at 10.

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can you not just split off at an appropriate time? It does mean a solo ride back but it does solve the time issue.

millskid replied to paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

yeah that might be a good option. Go out with the fast group for 1 and a half hours, then turn back.

handlebarcam | 11 years ago
0 likes

This is a problem for traditional cycling clubs. The demands of modern life mean that to cater for every member's needs or wishes requires a dozen or more different rides, starting at different times, covering different distances, at different speeds, on different days. Trouble is, if you go down that route you end up with groups of about two or three riders, which kind of defeats the point of riding with a club in the first place.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

My club meets at 9, coffee stop for 20 mins at 11 and then back at 1 ish give or take 30 minutes depending on the cafe location/punctures.
This works for me though ideally would rather an 8 start to be back by 12.

Latest Comments