Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lateral play in rear-wheel bearings

I have MicroTech wheels with sealed hub bearings. I noticed some lateral play in my rear bearings recently.

I understand that the correct way to tighten them, is to loosen the small screw, screw the end of the hub tight and then tighten the small screw.

I have done that and made sure my QR is super-tight, but I still have some lateral play (a very small amount, but I am a bit OCD/fussy and it bothers me). I think I haven't tightened them correctly.  39

I have the following questions:
1. Is any amount of lateral play acceptable?
2. What is the best method of tightening these types of bearings? I released the QR, and twisted the end with my hands. I can't think how to get it tighter.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

stefv | 11 years ago
0 likes

Realised I could tighten it with a regular spanner. Worked a treat, though now I am wondering if it's possible to make sealed bearings too tight  39

big mick replied to stefv | 11 years ago
0 likes
mckechan wrote:

Realised I could tighten it with a regular spanner. Worked a treat, though now I am wondering if it's possible to make sealed bearings too tight  39

YES it is just enough so there is no play.Too tight and you will wear the bearing surface out long term and create drag short term

Latest Comments