CX Canti's Brake Set? Help Needed.

by Mostyn   October 8, 2012  

Hi All,

I have a RIDLEY X RIDE with V-Brakes and Ultegra Levers!

I only use the bike on the road, (I've fitted Road Tyres) and find the levers travel too far for my liking, so, I'm thinking of fitting a set of Canti's in-place of the V-Brakes.

Would anyone have a set of Black Canti's they're thinking of selling? Or maybe you can point me towards a bargain set of suitable Canti-Brakes?

Thanks

M

13 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Or you could keep the v's and get a travel agent or similar that will resolve the issue of the excess travel - something link: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/v-daptor-for-front-or-rear-silver-alloy-per-p...

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [810 posts]
8th October 2012 - 19:39

3 Likes

TheHatter wrote:
Or you could keep the v's and get a travel agent or similar that will resolve the issue of the excess travel - something link: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/v-daptor-for-front-or-rear-silver-alloy-per-pair-prod83/

Thanks for the link; but, I would prefer a set of Canti-Brakes to replace the V-Brakes.

posted by Mostyn [407 posts]
8th October 2012 - 23:39

3 Likes

Oh, also, good pads will make a massive difference.

Tektro brakes come with middling, hard compound pads, bin them and get Fibrax X-Treme, Kool Stop Salmon, or Yokozuna pink. The IRD brakes come with really good pads (Yokozuna pink).

Bin link wires (Oryx & IRD come with those) and use an adjustable straddle instead. The CR-720 comes with an EXCELLENT straddle hanger, and you can get those as an aftermarket part;

http://www.zepnat.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.f...

A fork crown mounted hanger is, ime, better than a spacer mounted hanger too - reduces judder and squeal in the brake.

--
"Tant que je respire, j'attaque!"

John_the_Monkey's picture

posted by John_the_Monkey [421 posts]
9th October 2012 - 10:02

6 Likes

I've tried 3 lots of cantis with Tiagra levers, on a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Bear in mind that cantilever power is HUGELY dependent on geometry, so its worth playing with this a little, having keyed in the values for your frame;

http://www.circleacycles.com/cantilevers/

Your results could well be pretty different to the ones I get.

That said:

Tektro Oryx
For: Cheap, Best power, high-ish straddle, narrowest profile of all three brakes

Against: Grabbby, very quick pad wear (meaning frequent adjustments to the brakes required), squeal if not toed in, impossible to get inflated tyre past brake, or unhook straddle, pads must be set v close to rim

Tektro CR-720
For: Cheap, Easy set up, slowest pad wear and least frequent adjustment of all the brakes I tried. Straddle can be unhooked, inflated tyre will go past the pads.

Against: Least power of all three, straddle must be set as low as possible (a problem if you want to mount light to the fork crown, for example), very wide

IRD CAFAM
For: Power somewhere between Oryx & CR-720, not grabby, pad wear quick, but manageable

Against: Most expensive of the three I tried, Hard to find (although Fine ADC will sell to you direct), straddle can't be unhooked, pads must be set pretty close to the rim to be effective (not as close as Oryxes though).

Mini Vs are worth a look too - this thread on Road Bike review has some pretty comprehensive info for pairing them up with road levers.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cyclocross/my-mini-v-setup-146309.html

(I've not tried Mini Vs, btw).

--
"Tant que je respire, j'attaque!"

John_the_Monkey's picture

posted by John_the_Monkey [421 posts]
9th October 2012 - 10:09

5 Likes

John_the_Monkey wrote:
Oh, also, good pads will make a massive difference.

Tektro brakes come with middling, hard compound pads, bin them and get Fibrax X-Treme, Kool Stop Salmon, or Yokozuna pink. The IRD brakes come with really good pads (Yokozuna pink).

Bin link wires (Oryx & IRD come with those) and use an adjustable straddle instead. The CR-720 comes with an EXCELLENT straddle hanger, and you can get those as an aftermarket part;

http://www.zepnat.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.f...

A fork crown mounted hanger is, ime, better than a spacer mounted hanger too - reduces judder and squeal in the brake.

Thanks John,

Both your posts have been really helpful.

M

posted by Mostyn [407 posts]
9th October 2012 - 13:52

2 Likes

Mostyn wrote:

Both your posts have been really helpful.

M


A pleasure - I'd be interested to know what you end up with, and how you find it - I'm still looking for the perfect canti brake Smile

--
"Tant que je respire, j'attaque!"

John_the_Monkey's picture

posted by John_the_Monkey [421 posts]
12th October 2012 - 10:34

1 Like

I'm thinking of getting a set of these >

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektro-CR720-Cyclo-Cross-Bike-Cantilever-Brake...

Think they may be what I need, as I only use the X-Ride on the road.

posted by Mostyn [407 posts]
12th October 2012 - 12:01

3 Likes

If only using the bike on the road, keep the mini-vees or get better ones like Tektro 926 or even TRP 9.0. They're easier to fit and adjust and less likely to experience brake judder problems that is common with cantis. I run cantis and mini-vees on my CX bikes - I keep the cantis on my race bike only because of the extra mud clearance.

Make mine an Italian with Campagnolo on the side

posted by monty dog [365 posts]
13th October 2012 - 21:18

8 Likes

monty dog wrote:
If only using the bike on the road, keep the mini-vees or get better ones like Tektro 926 or even TRP 9.0. They're easier to fit and adjust and less likely to experience brake judder problems that is common with cantis. I run cantis and mini-vees on my CX bikes - I keep the cantis on my race bike only because of the extra mud clearance.

Basically, I'm trying to eliminate some of the excess travel I get on the Ultegra Levers; and I thought Canti's would solve the problem? The brakes work perfectly, but when on the drop's - there's quite a lot of travel on the brake levers. I don't think my V-Brakes are Mini-V's? Can I get a cheap pair of mini-V's to experiment with? Any suggestions?

posted by Mostyn [407 posts]
14th October 2012 - 9:50

4 Likes

Mostyn wrote:
I don't think my V-Brakes are Mini-V's? Can I get a cheap pair of mini-V's to experiment with? Any suggestions?

Me again Smile

Have a look at that road bike review article - you need to be careful about the arm length of the V you choose.

I think my bike came out at 85mm, which means Tektro RX5, or some brands of BMX mini v. I think Tektro list arm length for their Mini Vs.

If you stick with the CR-720, check that the brake shoes holders have the thickest washer on the side of the brake arm furthest from the wheel rim. (they don't always come set up like that, for some reason). IME, the Oryx & Cafam need to be set up with the thinnest washer furthest from the wheel rim.

--
"Tant que je respire, j'attaque!"

John_the_Monkey's picture

posted by John_the_Monkey [421 posts]
15th October 2012 - 11:39

7 Likes

My 4ZA V's measure 8.5cm also, I'm assuming they are Mini V's? I think I'll stick with them for a-while; as they are a really good stopping brake. Can someone recommend a good quality brake-shoe (brake block) to use? the wheels are also 4ZA.

posted by Mostyn [407 posts]
16th October 2012 - 9:39

4 Likes

Mostyn wrote:
My 4ZA V's measure 8.5cm also, I'm assuming they are Mini V's?

Yep - a full size v brake will be closer to 110mm arm length.

Quote:
I think I'll stick with them for a-while; as they are a really good stopping brake. Can someone recommend a good quality brake-shoe (brake block) to use? the wheels are also 4ZA.

For alloy rims, definitely Fibrax X-Treme (reviewed on road.cc http://road.cc/content/review/59782-fibrax-road-caliper-xtreme-compound-... - you can get the pads only), Koolstop Salmon, Yokozuna pink or if you've won the lottery, Swiss Stop Green (http://road.cc/content/review/53826-swissstop-ghp2-full-rxplus-brake-pads ).

--
"Tant que je respire, j'attaque!"

John_the_Monkey's picture

posted by John_the_Monkey [421 posts]
16th October 2012 - 13:00

3 Likes

Bought a set of Fibrax-X-Treme brake shoes on eBay. for £10

Less than half price for two sets, or £6.50 for a single set.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=fibrax+extreme+brake+pads&_sacat=0...

posted by Mostyn [407 posts]
18th October 2012 - 11:23

3 Likes