Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paul Kimmage on Twitter

Anyone else following Paul Kimmage on Twitter?
He is currently revealing some very 'interesting' stuff about Team Sky and making some pretty strong implications.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

41 comments

Sam1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

In terms of the present, Kimmage ONLY talks about Sky. Whilst all around we have Schleck failing a dope test during the Tour - no word from Kimmage about that. Di Gregorio still suspended by Cofidis - nada. Contador and Valverde both riding and winning immediately on their returns from bans - nothing to say, Paul? How about Gabrovski testing positive 2 months ago - no view on this? And now Vino taking up a management position at Astana, and Ekimov, ex USPS team mate of Armstrong's,replacing Holczer at Katusha, the same team where Galimzyanov tested positive a few months ago - no views on this, Paul?

Doesnt it strike you as odd that the ONLY team Kimmage wants to constantly question and infer are up to something, is Sky? I have read not one thing from him on any of these riders or teams concerning real, sanctioned riders and teams. If the chip on Kimmage's shoulder about Sky and Wiggins was any bigger, it would feed a host of nations. Perhaps he's upset by Wiggins saying at a press conference during the Tour that he certainly woulnt want Kimmage living with him night and day - cant say I blame him!

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Some of the comments previously made by Brailsford and others do put this into a bit of context.

http://road.cc/content/news/61543-dave-brailsford-defends-team-skys-empl...

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

I like Paul Kimmage - if the sport had more like him it would be in much better shape than it is.
He may have a bit of a chip on his shoulder but it far preferable to the media complacancy that existed in the Armstrong years.

Simon E replied to TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

I like Paul Kimmage - if the sport had more like him it would be in much better shape than it is.
He may have a bit of a chip on his shoulder but it far preferable to the media complacancy that existed in the Armstrong years.

That's how I see it. He is passionate and may not be exactly right every time but, like Greg LeMond, he knows more about this sh*t than most of us.

PK can't hold every team to account via Twitter. He wrote favourably of Garmin one year after spending some time with the team. While Vaughters might be "good at PR" he also appears to me to be trying very hard to be honest and open about his team.

Sometimes I think the suspicion about Sky is because people don't like Dave Brailsford's way of saying things. Wiggins' mid-Tour outburst didn't help. I can't imagine why he thought that slagging anonymous tweeters and swearing profusely during a press conference while wearing the maillot jaune in the biggest race on the planet was a good idea. I thought it was disrespectful and out of order. And yes, I'd say that to his face. When riders get defensive it arouses suspicion.

As for Sean Yates, I certainly don't want to give ex-dopers and easy ride but a positive in 1989 is not the same as taking on a dodgy medic who worked with the Chicken and Dekker shortly before leaving in 2009.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sky haven't been very transparent, but I don't think thats about doping, more about their "marginal gains".....

But if he wanted a story, he picked on the right person in my eyes, Michael Barry was US postal with certain riders. Then onto T-Mobile.....

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

He has just claimed he is leaving twitter now anyway. Lit the blue touchpaper and retired to an unsafe distance.
Im not judging him, Brailsford or Sky any which way - just thought what he is saying is interesting and shows the complex nature of the pro peleton.
Like rats in London - it seems no matter how clean you claim to be you are never far from a doper.
Its just all a little disappointing more than anything.

Sam1 replied to Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes
Some Fella wrote:

He has just claimed he is leaving twitter now anyway. Lit the blue touchpaper and retired to an unsafe distance.
Im not judging him, Brailsford or Sky any which way - just thought what he is saying is interesting and shows the complex nature of the pro peleton.
Like rats in London - it seems no matter how clean you claim to be you are never far from a doper.
Its just all a little disappointing more than anything.

Some Fella: its a fact of life at this stage in pro cycling. Forget about the riders alone for a moment: the sport's going to have to go through a couple of generations before it has riders who are riding clean now, stepping up to become DS's. Its only at that point when you'll have DSs, as well as experienced doctors employed by teams, with no legacy attached to them through teams they were with in the 90s and 00s. Look around at the teams in the ProTour and their DSs - there can be very few DSs who arent on record with sanctions, or who rode alongside dopers (and so are getting tagged by implication).

NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Paul J, Sky haven't been as transparent as I would like, but it often seems as if they are being demonised just because they are successful, where as Garmin are heralded as a clean and transparent team simply because Vaughters is good at PR. There is little evidence that any Sky rider has ever doped, whereas half the Garmin team has been involved in doping and apart from David Millar they aren't transparent and open about the past.
Kimmage and his followers applaud Garmin, but accuse Sky. Why?

Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes

FWIW, he's implying Brailsford claims that Team Sky are transparent on doping are hollow. Not necessarily more than that.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

19 ......Is a pain in the arse and very hard to follow it all

......Publish it all in one story, because reading posts backwards.......

He needs to learn to use something like this http://notepub.com/ .......

NeilG83 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do follow him, but I'm just about to unfollow him, he is starting to annoy me, although he is only repeating what he has said before. He seems to think that just because Team Sky don't do exactly what he tells them to do that it is ok to imply that they are doping.
Ok, we still haven't had a full explanation on how much Sky knew of Geert Lienders' past before they hired him, but just because Bradley Wiggins didn't want a journalist following him around whilst he was trying to win the Tour de France does not make him a drugs cheat.

Pages

Latest Comments