Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thomson stems

Hello
I don't normally lurk around here normally found in singletrackworld, but I am now in the process of building my first road bike  4
I have purchased a cinelli experience frame and fork and I am was wondering about stem choice, I have thomson on all other bikes, is this that way to go for road bikes or should I be looking elsewhere?
Please be kind, thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

nunuboogie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes it is a complete mind field!
Is the general rule, bars should be the same width as shoulders? I don't think I will need much reach as only small so thinking 90mm stem with 10 degree rise?

big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes

It makes no difference what make the stem is.The thing that is more important is having the right length/height.That is what to look out for.Not as easy to get right as you think.Also make sure the bars are the correct width.Makes of part's do not matter though marketing men would not agree:

robert.brady | 11 years ago
0 likes

It was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek but I don't think that a Thomson stem would suit that frame from an aesthetic point of view. Each to their own.

Rob

vw_mtbiker | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nothing wrong with a Thomson stem on an Italian road bike...it's your bike!

nunuboogie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Rob I will look at Cinelli

robert.brady | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thomson stems are very nice but on an Italian bike you've got to go Italian and on a Cinelli, I'd go for Cinelli finishing kit.

Rob

Latest Comments