Thomson stems

by nunuboogie   October 5, 2012  

Hello
I don't normally lurk around here normally found in singletrackworld, but I am now in the process of building my first road bike Big Grin
I have purchased a cinelli experience frame and fork and I am was wondering about stem choice, I have thomson on all other bikes, is this that way to go for road bikes or should I be looking elsewhere?
Please be kind, thanks

6 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Thomson stems are very nice but on an Italian bike you've got to go Italian and on a Cinelli, I'd go for Cinelli finishing kit.

Rob

posted by robert.brady [146 posts]
5th October 2012 - 21:38

like this
Like (0)

Thanks Rob I will look at Cinelli

posted by nunuboogie [5 posts]
6th October 2012 - 9:57

like this
Like (0)

Nothing wrong with a Thomson stem on an Italian road bike...it's your bike!

posted by vw_mtbiker [35 posts]
6th October 2012 - 11:43

like this
Like (0)

It was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek but I don't think that a Thomson stem would suit that frame from an aesthetic point of view. Each to their own.

Rob

posted by robert.brady [146 posts]
7th October 2012 - 12:19

like this
Like (0)

It makes no difference what make the stem is.The thing that is more important is having the right length/height.That is what to look out for.Not as easy to get right as you think.Also make sure the bars are the correct width.Makes of part's do not matter though marketing men would not agree:

big mick

posted by big mick [172 posts]
7th October 2012 - 21:15

like this
Like (0)

Yes it is a complete mind field!
Is the general rule, bars should be the same width as shoulders? I don't think I will need much reach as only small so thinking 90mm stem with 10 degree rise?

posted by nunuboogie [5 posts]
7th October 2012 - 22:20

like this
Like (0)