Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road Disc Brake Wheels

Hi
I've converted a Hybrid into a road, bike with Avid BB5 discs. What i'm needing help with is wheels!
Can someone please recommend a wheel build?
Need rims- but dont want the rim braking surface, light.
Hubs- Light, disc and shimano compataible
I'm a heavier chap (200lbs) and commute every day, but do a group ride on the weekend and looking at doing more sportives next year. Needs to fit tyres 23 - 32.

Currently got alex rims on Deore mntn hubs.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both. I'll speak to Gordy or Ally next time I'm in Bilslands, although from memory they used to prefer repairing to building. Might just have to jump in the car and drive to Clachan of Campsie though.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If looking at a wheel build there's wheelsmith.co.uk. Can't remember what the costs are as I only looked into it. He's based out Falkirk direction. There's also Dooley's Cycles in Paisley

Swami Dave | 11 years ago
0 likes

I got them built by Bicycle Works in Edinburgh, which may be even less convenient...!

http://www.thebicycleworks.co.uk/wheel-building/

£24.99 per wheel and from memory £1 a spoke for DT Swiss butted in black. They were way cheaper than anywhere else and could build in two days rather than the weeks I was being quoted by everywhere else. Very impressed and would recommend. Haven't used any Glasgow builders but Bilslands did some wheel repairs on another set and were very good - quick, cheap and great service.

Swami Dave | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had the exact same problem with my Whyte Stirling. Had a blowout on my front wheel and shredded the rim. Trying to find a narrow disc compatible wheel was near impossible so I ended up getting a new one built using Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs with a 28h Velocity Deep V aero rim to take my weight (196 lbs) and handle the crap roads in Glasgow. The Deep Vs are 14 mm or 17mm (can't remember) internal width so will fit your tyre widths although 32mm might be pushing it.

The wheels are bomb-proof and the weight's not bad either. They've been on my bike for over a year now and haven't had to be trued once.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Swami Dave | 11 years ago
0 likes

Who built them for you Dave? I'm looking for a good wheelbuilder other than Big Al (who's too far away)

matty c | 11 years ago
0 likes

Forgot budget - £500ish

Latest Comments