Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

German bikes

Following on from my previous post asking about Cube Agree frames I have more questions relating to german bikes. I quiet like the look of Ghost bikes and Canyon Ultimate cf or al, but don't know much about them. Anyone got any experience? My concern with buying from the internet is that I am new to road bikes and don't want to make a stupid and expensive mistake going for one of them when I could just go the easy route and buy a Specialized or Cannondale?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

My wife has a Focus mtb and it rides very well. Its very xc but that fits the bill for her riding.

It is a few years old now 2008 model bought in 2009 but no problems and it was well specced for the money too.

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just to add to mattyb95: If you know at point of ordering that you require a different stem length, they'll do it free of charge.

mattyb95 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just posted this on my club's forum in response to a similar question. As background to the below, if you were considering a frame only, Canyon do a "sponsorship" price so if you hold a British Racing license you can save €200 or so on the price. Even if you don't plan to race, think it's cheaper that way as a license for a year is less than the discount offered. It's a one off per customer and frame's only.

"Bought myself an Ultimate CF frame in their sale not long ago which was €100 cheaper than their sponsorship discount so worked out about £750 with postage. Not had it long but so far love it, much stiffer and responsive than my old Planet X and seems a better fit.

Watch out for their online fitter as it seems to only take in to account leg length. It suggested a 56 for me, but having had a bike fit earlier in the year, looking at the geometry specs, the 58 was more suitable because of the top tube length I needed and I wouldn't say I have odd body proportions. I also think the geometry on the new SLX range has changed for 2013 as it's a re-designed frame but the standard CF looks the same frame for next year. Worth comparing with your current bike to get a better idea of size.

Stem choice can be a faff as it's an odd size, 1,1/4 rather than the standard 1,1/8 but Canyon offer an exchange for a small fee in case the standard one supplied isn't right. I think Syntace also make after market ones but they aren't that cheap. Luckily the supplied stem worked for me."

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have had two Canyons CF SLX and wife's Step-dad has a Speedmax CF. Absolutely superb machines - they get the best reviews wherever you look. Frame is stiff enough that Andre Greipel couldn't bend one out of shape but also very comfortable (Canyon use the term Vertically complient, laterally stiff). Customer service and back up super and second-hand value is not far off new ones. Specialized 50% over priced compared to similar Canyon models .... I think I know where an "expensive mistake" may be hiding!  39

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I asked Canyon about test rides etc, and received the following response:

"Many thanks for your e-mail.

Canyon doesn't have a showroom in the UK. Canyon has a showroom at the factory in Koblenz, Germany. Koblenz is an hour from Frankfurt airport on the train.

Canyon’s 30 day money back guarantee means that, providing the bike has not been used for more than a test ride on a clean, dry surface, we can offer an exchange or full refund anytime during the first 30 days after delivery of the goods. Full right of revocation terms are available on the following page: http://www.canyon.com/_uk/terms_conditions.html

Sincerely,

Cullen Ward - Canyon UK"

Sounds pretty good, anyway.

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't think I've heard a bad word about Canyons. I think there's a UK rep now to help with ordering and the website is pretty good re sizing too. If/when I'm in the market for a new bike, Canyon will be high up on the list

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got a couple of friends with Canyons - they absolutely love them. Think they've both got the Ultimate CF frameset. And they've both said that Canyon are great to deal with. I'd certainly consider shopping there if I was buying a new bike (but I love shopping second hand, so many bargains to be had).

Latest Comments