Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

MY Chinarillo, ive been been upgrading.

Hi all,

Yep its still rolling along quite nicely thankyou. THe SRam Rivals been shifting great, ive had no frame issues, the paints ok too. Its done well, over 2250 miles and its just fine.
Infact its been such a shit year personally i thought i`de treat myself to a Chineese take-away again.

I ordered/bought some carbon deep rims!!  4

Yep, to yet again annoy those who think im mad, they arrived within 16 days.  26

They are light, well made and they are (British cycling) round......  39

Ive also converted to conti gp4000s` and so far they`ve been great.

And here it is in all its Eastern beauty

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

wheelz | 11 years ago
0 likes

The bearings are ok,novotec hubs are a bit on the noisey side, but on my mtb`s i run hope hubs! comared to those they are silent  41

As for bike building, its been put on hold for the foreseeeeeable future, i got made redundant, so no new toys for me. great timing eh?  102

Now wheres the jobs vacant section on this site?  45

HarveyMorcombe | 11 years ago
0 likes

What are the bearings like on your wheels  39

Seoige | 11 years ago
0 likes

Your an inspiration Wheelz. The new 2013 assymetric design is pretty cool and the manufacturers have not rested on the laurels. The new frames are made from T1000 carbon fiber as opposed to T700. The result is 25% lighter and 30% stiffer and stronger. And they have new subtle changes to paint designs. They look awesome.

I really like the most intergrated handlebars and I think the 2012 curved design compliments the frame better then the traditional angular one.

I have researched the shit out of 50mm carbon bike wheels. The Levi Grand fondo in the States have effectively banned carbon clinchers due to blow outs in the descents. Tubulars are by their nature a better proposition but they are hardly practical and costs of tyres prohibitive Puncture repairs are awkward and necessitate either a spare tube or foam OK if you are pottering about locally but not 100km from home. I certainly would not entertain a company that at least did not at least address the heat issue and I notice quite a few in fact, do not! When it comes to clinchers higher temp resins and basalt braking surfaces are the way to go with cadence/modulating braking and no long twisty descents. Always keep a set of alu’s for the rare occasions. Aso those Novatec hubs are seriously noisy. I prfer stealth mode and sneek up on peeps. There is an interesting article on Carbon wheels where steep descents are concerned.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2012/07/carbon-clinchers-are-they-ready-for-pri...

By the way well done on the update  1

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

7mm?! I don't think I'd be riding those.

wheelz | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Doug,

Glad to see you too have had good results from our chinese friends.
As for the wheels, i had to have them trued by a local expert, they were 7mm out of true!  39
Not sure if it was the plane ride, or just the way they built the rims!! But they are nice and cetainly improve the straightline speed, my climbing has imprved slightly too, but am unsure if thats the wheels or the amount of time ive been in the gym lately!  7
Just remeber they are expensive, but wheels are the easiest way to gain speed through weight loss.

Doug.F. | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wheelz.
Splendid looking machine.
I also own a "Chinarello" and I am delighted with it.
Assembled with the carbon fibre components sourced from China,no problem with the quality or speed of delivery.
Group set bought from Merlin Cycles (U.K.)good people to deal with.
Funds would only extend to a Shimano Tiagra compact,however pleased with it,seems as good as the 105 on my other cycle.
Easton wheels (already had).
Tempted to fit at a later date carbon wheels,any reader has experience of such and are they worth fitting ? what are the advantages ? if any.
Yours
Doug.F.

ragtag | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you put stickers on anything doesn't make it illegal under the trade descriptions act, unless you are going to sell it. Even then if you offer full disclosure and the buyer is fully aware what they are buying there is no offence as far as I can see.

You have simply decorated your bike as a reproduction. Whether that is right or wrong is probably a moral issue and one of taste.

Spooks | 11 years ago
0 likes

Great looking bike, would love to hear how it rides/compares from someone impartial but I suspect that it maybe difficult to find someone with no prejudice against chinese frames or likes the fact it's so much cheaper.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can take my hat off to the OP for his honesty about the bike, although not something I would. (edit to clarify - buy that type of bike)

Also fair play to Dave as there is no need to get road.cc in any strife.

Would love to see a real v 'fake' (maybe copy sounds more polite) test though. I guess that is one for a private test then but not sure where the results could be posted? Any neutral fan site?

Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes

wheelz: I find it very hard to square "not trying to kid anyone" with the fake branding decals. If you were not trying to kid anyone, you'd have put the name of the Chinese supplier on it.

(And again, there's nothing wrong with the Chinese stuff itself).

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I would assume that buying a blank frame from a chinese supplier and selling that on as a blank frame would be fine though? The fact that it's marked up as a Pinarello is really the only issue right?

If the frame was just being produced without the Pina stickers/colours would there be an issue?

I understand that most of these frames are either a) made using the same moulds as the legit bikes but with lower quality materials, b) just left overs from large production runs or c) made by newer carbon frame manufacturers as examples of quality that they're using to convince the likes of Spesh, Trek and the rest that they are good enough to take on the business of making branded frames.

So buying a blank frame, building up and seeling it on surely wouldn't be a problem?

dave atkinson replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I would assume that buying a blank frame from a chinese supplier and selling that on as a blank frame would be fine though? The fact that it's marked up as a Pinarello is really the only issue right?

If the frame was just being produced without the Pina stickers/colours would there be an issue?

If the frame was simply a chinese made, unbranded frame from an open mould design then no, no problem at all. If it's a chinese-made unbranded frame that's a direct copy of a manufacturer's frame then it would still be considered counterfeit as it would be breaching the manufacturer's copyright on the design. That would be my take, anyway.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

hello everyone. you'll note that i've removed the link in the above comment. not to do so could make us complicit in the trade of counterfeit goods, which is an offence under uk law. as such i'd be grateful if you didn't post any more on this forum. thanks.

legally, you're not committing an offence by buying counterfeit goods - it's the sale of them that is prohibited. If, however, you decide to sell it on you'll be breaking the law, as velodromerocket says above.

James Warrener replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

hello everyone. you'll note that i've removed the link in the above comment.

Trader names are still in an earlier post though Dave... not sure if that's ok.

velodromerocket | 11 years ago
0 likes

Asking for trouble putting this on here. Mate of mine just had his fake confiscated by trading standards because he had it on eBay. The Zipps and Super Record were genuine but they took the lot.

wheelz | 11 years ago
0 likes

Heres the link for the wheels.

[link removed by admin]

I wont give you the frame link as they now have the 2013 frame! its on dhgate if you want a look.

As for the decals, same as the frame, if anyone asks i tell them the truth!!

i think it looks great! In the end all that matters is i ride it and enjoy doing it. As ive said, i go to work and earn it! Im not trying to kid anyone. Have a look on bike radar, theres an S-works Venge thats a Chinese copy thats been built up, its in the "my road bikes" forum.

mpt68 | 11 years ago
0 likes

have you got a link for where you got the wheels please

Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for chinese stuff. I have carbon wheels from there.

-1 for putting rip-off decals on it.

fisherman | 11 years ago
0 likes

As much as a magazine/web site review would be lovely i can't really see it happening from a commercial point of view. The advertisers of this site or magazines would go absolutely nuts if anything like this was even officially acknowledged to exist, never mind that it would prove to be a viable alternative.

russyparkin replied to fisherman | 11 years ago
0 likes
fisherman wrote:

As much as a magazine/web site review would be lovely i can't really see it happening from a commercial point of view. The advertisers of this site or magazines would go absolutely nuts if anything like this was even officially acknowledged to exist, never mind that it would prove to be a viable alternative.

yes i think road.cc in their hearts would love to do this.

@wheelz your a top man for documenting everything. on several occasions whilst on the ciders i have hovered over the buy it now button for one of these frame sets

im sure it will happen.....

wheelz | 11 years ago
0 likes

If Road.cc want to do an article on my Chinarillo ive no problem with it!

In fact me and fisherman have spoke on this very subject, it might put a few misconceptions to bed!!

In fact if magazines want to try as well, be my guess.

They have my contact details.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Raleigh +1. It'd be great to see comparisons with genuine Boras for example. Can't you let Road.cc have it for a day, just for curiousity's sake?!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

So.

Is it the same?

fisherman | 11 years ago
0 likes

being wheelz "technical/engineering consultant" in this build i can honestly say it has gone together as well as anything we have built with normal propriety components.

and whats more it look even better in the flesh. Trouble is now all i'm going to see is the rear end disappearing up the road.

wheelz | 11 years ago
0 likes

As for a lovely bright green and purple bike, sounds lovely.
I might order a custard yellow and purple one!! No one would nick it........  31

wheelz | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi,
The total cost is now at;

Frame Chinarillo Dogma £380
Groupset Sram Rival £490
Saddle Pinarillo/Most £35
Stem Deda £30
Handlebars FSA £25
Pedals Shimano £25
Wheels Chineese Carbon Boras £380
Tyres Conti gp4000s £55
Bottle cages £5
Bar tape £5
Total £1430.

It weighs in at 16.2 lbs with pedals.

For those that are interested i got the frame & wheels from DHgate. The frame came from Chinesswalton, wheels from Joshan1923, they are the same company just different compartments. Easy to deal with and never had a problem.

I know some of you dont agree with what im doing, but its my hard earned money and i can spend it where i like. I do spend a lot of money at several local bike shopsa as well, i own a Giant anthem X1 & a Kinesis XC2 built from bits all of which i bought at a LBS or Ebay of local riders.

Would i buy another Chinarillo? Yep, all day long.  4

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I would ride the everliving fuck out of a luminous green and purple bike. But then I'm a unique and precious thing.

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not flash enough for me. Do they do it in luminous green and purple stripes?  4

growbotham | 11 years ago
0 likes

That looks absolutely fantastic!

Forgive me if you posted this before but do you have the link of where you imported the frame and rims from?

Very tempted....

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

What's the total cost now?

Latest Comments