Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How many base miles?

Well. My off season pretty much starts on Monday, and I'm really excited for getting stuck into some winter training!

Next year is my first as a junior, so that means longer races at a faster pace.

The question is, how many miles?

Or is it just a case of "Pedalare! Pedalare!"?

Is there anything I should work into my training routine?

My sprinting's pretty poor.

There are wattbikes at my school which I can use in the week, but other than that I only have weekends and holidays (before March I have a two week half term and then a month of Christmas and another week of half term) to play with.

I was thinking try and get 2000 miles in before 1st of March.

Anyone have any better ideas?

UPDATE [16/10/12]

So, I've done 400k in 16 days. Feeling pretty buzz, and I'm going out this afternoon.

I've got two weeks holiday now, time to get down to some proper training.

I spoke to a cycling friend, who said that 500m TT's are perfect for building top end speed and the ability to jump off a group without taking anyone with you. He also recommended hill reps, but I'm in Suffolk, and I can't find any.

The ToB pros took all my strava KoM's, so first things first I'm going to have to go and get those back!

Yep; Wattbiking ROCKS! I was a little surprised to find that my left leg produces 51% of my power every time, I would've thought it would be the other way around.

So yeah, if anyone has found a secret mountain range in Eastern Suffolk, let me know!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Updated.

It's SO windy today, s'gonna be a solo EPIC.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well I had no idea what Paleo was- I was envisioning you just eating a particular sub-species of mung beans or something from Monday to Friday!  31  4

Anyway, I googled it- sounds healthy, not sure I could be bothered sticking to it when I'm cooking, but assuming it's someone else in the kitchen, knock yourself out!

Just found this weights programme online:

http://coach.dancoy.com/archive/Strength_Training_for_Cyclist.pdf

Now, don't take this the wrong way (!) but when on the wattbike, have you got 'the sausage'?! I'm referring of course to the optimum pedaling technique as shown on the power curve screen. It would be well worth working on this if not.

For the periods at home, you could, if you're feeling sufficiently enthusiastic (!), treat them like training camps. This : http://www.cptips.com/onlnch.htm provides a guide to designing your own traing blocks.

Finally, what's the score on gearing with moving out of the youth cat? If you're allowed a bigger chainring or something then efforts to adjust to this would be good.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys, I only eat paleo during the week, and even on the weekends I eat pretty well.

The wattbikes are amazing, when they're not covered in sweaty rowers that is...

I've tried training with an HRM, but I don't have onethat plugs into my Garmin, and I get really bored looking at my watch the whole time.

I'm thinking of doing a lot of Track work over the winter at Herne Hill, just things like back to back 4k efforts with some flying laps to finish.

I don't really go midweek for road rides, rather my parents don't let me because of all the scary north London traffic, but Ive got those three big windows of training over my holidays (can't wait).

Trouble is, Ive got to go and do all that training now...

I'm thinking about doing three hour-long Wattbike sessions midweek, and then doing around 100km over the weekend of more steady stuff, but like you said with some efforts in there.

My school just got loads of new gym equipment as well. I've been shown how to use the weights, and passed it with my Chiro, any reccommendations on sessions that I could do there, or is this more the kind of stuff that you pay a coach for?

Your reward can be knowing that you've ensured a buzzing season for me next year!

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think Simon's hogged all the answers, nothing else to add other than "Good God - wattbikes at school?! Ace!" I'm in a posh gym but they won't get them in.

Simon's suggestions pretty much reflect my training overall.

Oh and maybe work on flexibility/core strength if you're not great in that area.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Think quality more than quantity. You do need to do miles but it's more important to do useful, productive miles than junk miles.

You won't generally be racing for 5 or 6 hours so, while knowing you can do large distances is good psychologically, I've heard too many accounts of people feeling burnt out mid-season after a winter of long rides.

The traditional 4 hour steady ride or long club run is considered a bit outdated. More and more riders are finding that mixing that kind of training with shorter, higher intensity workouts pays off. That's not to say base mileage isn't useful. Having a good 'mileage bank' is never going to hurt but don't rely on it alone to launch you into a stellar season for next year.

So by all means do some longer rides but perhaps make them 2 or 3 hours with 2x20mins (10mins easy between) at or just below your 1-hour pace. If your sprints are a weakness then work on those with the gym bikes twice a week, gradually increasing the effort/resistance steadily over the winter.

Another factor to bear in mind is the seasons. Listen to your body. It may be sensible to have more time off the bike when it's cold and the days are short. Equally, don't be afraid to do a little extra when you're feeling good; if it coincides with a good weather window then get some miles in then you can rest happily/ride the turbo when there is horizontal rain or a week of icy roads outside.

How's your diet? More fresh veg and fruit, less junk. The more processed it is the less nutritional benefit it will be. Choose items with little or no processing and a short ingredient list with nothing artificial. Quality, simple food, quality sleep and adequate recovery between sessions will all help.

Sorry, I went on a bit. Are you still awake at the back?  3

Latest Comments