Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cube Agree GTC frame problems

I am looking for my first road bike and was interested in the Cube Agree GTC. My local(ish) bike shop told me not to, because the frame design was out of date and anyhow they had had a number of problems with the frame. Another lbs didn't know of any problems. Is there a problem with Cube frames or was the bloke trying to sell me something else instead for his benefit? I am still deciding what to get, but I don't want to rule out the Cube if I don't have to. That leads on to many other questions that I will save for another day...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Some interesting feedback here. Especially as Cube have done well in many bike tests.
At least they seem to act correctly if a problem does arise.

dukeofessex | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just had my 2011 Agree GTC SL frame replaced due to crack around the BB. Originally I had noticed the slightest mark on the frame the first time I cleaned the bike when it was new but assumed it was a paint defect. After a year and doing nearly 4500 miles on it, during a trip to the Alps last summer the bike developed a loud click from the BB caused by the crack having grown to about 20mm in a line around the bearing.
Dealer "lifecycle" was really helpful. Frame was changed to 2013 model so have fingers crossed that any design issues with this model frame have been fixed or more likely it was a manufacturing defect (dealer assured me that mine was the only road bike they'd had issues with and crack grew from mark that was present when bike was new).
Still love it.

Kpr | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm researching buying a road bike for first time, cube agree looks a great package.
Had a conversation with a guy from a LBS and he said avoid cube - when asked why, he said they are seeing a lot of cube bikes with cracked frames around bottom bracket - bikes are about 3 years old. Someone above has suggested something similar, and most of other comments are regard newer bikes.
Hope no one experiences any issues, but I'm steering clear, as so many other options at competitive prices and specs.

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds as if you've been unlucky as I've never heard of Cube having general frame problems and I've had mine for over a year. You should be well inside the warranty period - have you contacted Cube?

gazq replied to Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

just had a full refund looking for something else now

gazq | 11 years ago
0 likes

bought a cube agree 5 months ago and the frame has just cracked gone chain side near the sprocket brilliant bike up until that point friend has the same bime and nothing wrong with his bike had never heard that there were problems with the frames or may have looked elsewhere

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bought a Cube Agree GTC at the start of the summer. It's taken a bit of getting used to after riding a hybrid for years but it's a lovely bike and I've had no problems at all.

tc01947 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi I had a cube agree 2008 version(i think) the frame cracked at the bottom bracket, It was just out of the 2 year warranty by 1 month. They wouldn't do anything. Riding a scott now.

Mostyn replied to tc01947 | 11 years ago
0 likes
tc01947 wrote:

Hi I had a cube agree 2008 version(i think) the frame cracked at the bottom bracket, It was just out of the 2 year warranty by 1 month. They wouldn't do anything. Riding a scott now.

You Think? I suspect!

Only one I've ever heard of.

RobeH | 11 years ago
0 likes

i have the GTC race 2012 and is a fantastic piece of kit, and i would highly recommend it you get a lot of bike for the money...
steer of that LBS they are talking out off their backside  23

leveller | 11 years ago
0 likes

I ride a Cube Agree GTC. Im 15 stone plus and can say for sure there are no frame problems. The frame sizes do come up a little small though. I usually ride 58cm bikes (Specialized) but had to get a 60cm with Cube to get the same ride. Great bike though, loving every minute on it  4

BobE | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have looked at Canyon, but as it is buying from the internet only I do not want to take the risk as it will be my first road bike. To be honest there are not many bikes I have completely discounted.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

GET A CANYON INSTEAD! Cheaper and better.

www.canyon.com

mathewshotbolt | 11 years ago
0 likes

they'll make a good bit more margin out of a specialized or cannondale.

Winstan88 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am a 15 stone lump and I have riden an Agree for 6 months, no problems to report!

BobE | 11 years ago
0 likes

The odd thing is they do sell Cube, but seem to want to push either a Cannondale or Specialized. Do shops get a better margin on them? Though in his defence he did say these two brands provided lifetime guarantee on the frame compared to two years with Cube.

Mostyn replied to BobE | 11 years ago
0 likes
BobE wrote:

The odd thing is they do sell Cube, but seem to want to push either a Cannondale or Specialized. Do shops get a better margin on them? Though in his defence he did say these two brands provided lifetime guarantee on the frame compared to two years with Cube.

This guy in your LBS is trying to sell you something he can get hold of quickly (a bike in your size) because Cube Have Become so Popular, the Dealers are having problems getting them from Cube.

I have a Cube Agree GTC Pro 2011, model - I absolutely love it; and if I were going to buy another Bike? I'd choose a Cube again. They are in a different class to many of the usual named brands.

Searched all reviews of Cube Bikes; and every one of them has praised the Cube - Cannot find a bad word about them! Your LBS guy has a gripe for some reason or he's a true numpty.

Chuck | 11 years ago
0 likes

Although I don't think I've ever seen a Cube in the flesh, I don't buy the idea that frames from a particular brand are any more problematic than from any others. That's assuming that you're talking about the prominent/reputable brands, and obviously there's no accounting for the odd duff one- something all brands have- but they're all pretty much made in the same small set of factories, and have the same parts bolted on to them. You're essentially buying on personal preference and price/spec rather than any of them being `better' than the others IMO.

So, I reckon your LBS is talking rubbish and wants you to buy something he has (duh!). Dunno what he means by frames being 'out of date', although obviously some do remain unchanged for a few years- again for all brands.

That said, if you're not necessarily that up on bikes there might be something to be said for getting something from your LBS rather than somewhere online or further away. Depends on the shop though, personally I've always found the benefits of LBSs to be vastly overstated.

mustard | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm going to guess the shop that told you not to don't sell Cube? I would have just lost all faith in that shop's opinions.

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've never heard of Cube frame problems. I ride an Agree GTC SL and it's a great bike. The only thing I have heard of is that some riders have experienced brake cable rattling in the top tube, but this is easily resolved and is nothing to do with the frame. Hope that helps.

partsandlabour | 11 years ago
0 likes

A guy in our club has a GTC and loves it. He's had it 2 years - no problems. He's a big guy and gives the bike some 'stick'. He's even won a few races on it. They are well rated bikes - I've never heard of any problems. Good value bikes IMHO.

Latest Comments