Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The day Paul Smith came to play.

Had lunch with Sir Paul Smith at school.

I asked him to have a quick go with a sharpie.

Very happy bunny.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Will do  1

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

4 Small world, no?!

Tell him Jenny's friends Dan and Charlotte said hello.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes. Absolute legend!  13

I play the French Horn and he conducts loads of bands that I'm in.

0 likes

Whoa, now I'm really looking forward to seeing the new sky kit! Thanks for sharing.

So anyway, Westminster School. Do you know Dan Swana?

Mat Brett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nice! Thanks for that, Raleigh. Sounds like a great day.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

He came to the lunchtime lecture series at my

Quote:

independent boarding and day school in the heart of Central London next to Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament.

and I signed up to have Lunch with him, which involved getting up very early on a Monday morning.

Anyway, when I asked my question at lunch, which was basically:

I know that you've designed for Rapha, and that SKY have them next year. Have you been approached to do any designing?

He replied saying that yes, he'd done the kit, which I thought was pretty amazing. I'm not joking, but his eyes literally lit up when I asked this. The other questions were all about fashion and very dull.

More amazing though, was just after that when he said that he turned down the Team GB job, because h e hates doing uniforms.

He's really amazing, and soo nice to talk to. Just as he was leaving, I whipped out my sharpie and asked if he'd do a quick round with a pen. Everyone else was thinking it, I just said it.

I offered up my Rapha cap, and he said that it was "one of his", designed from his first ever cycling cap, which I thought was pretty cool.

The best thing is that everyone wo was at the lunch (25 people) is going to have the opportunity to visit his covent garden studio, which I should imagine is the coolest place on earth.

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, here's my favourite video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmUvEKUlhps

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've met him a couple of times when I'm doing work at Fashion week - he's so obviously overjoyed to have a few moments to talk bikes in the midst of all the fashionistas. Such a lovely man.
I also met Victoria Pendleton the same day I last met PS. I was pretty much the happiest man in the world.

0 likes

Both v cool. Raleigh, how come PS was visiting? That sounds like a posh school for sure!

Was he there to talk about clothes/design, and was he then surprised to be grabbed by a cyclist instead?!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nice, while I was busy seeing the woman who gave him his knighthood.  3

Don't know how well this photo will come up (it didn't come out well) Here's a link http://imageshack.us/a/img717/563/file1199.jpg

Latest Comments