Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gran Fondo di Roma

I have literally just got back on my bike after breaking my left femur at the end of March.

I'm subscribed to do the (first) Gran Fondo di Roma on the 14/10, 145Km (90 miles).

Anyone any training suggestions - what's best to do so I can participate? I don't care what time I finish in, I just want to get round if I can, and 2.5 weeks isn't long to get ready.

If anyone else is participating let me know - I live in Rome, so for me this is on my doorstep.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Polocini | 11 years ago
0 likes

I ended up bailing out and not going at all due to injury/work. The five weeks off the bike turned into ten and I only started riding again last week.

Good effort Sean. I'm gutted I couldn't do it.

The doping controls are in place because of the prizes on offer. The event is linked to the Gran Fondo New York which had a rider on EPO.

AL

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well done Sean, funnily enough just this second I was reading the paragraph about it in today's Gazzetta dello Sport and wondered how you'd got on.

(According to the Gazzetta there were targeted doping controls carried out on certain amateurs on the request of judicial authorities...?!)

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Great stuff, and not a bad time either. Did you guys meet up? Who dropped who?!  4

NiceGuySean | 11 years ago
0 likes

Al

Would love to meet up, although I suspect you'll be dropping me on the climbs rather than the other way round.

Drop me an email on sperry [@] tiscali.it and we can arrange how to meet. Probably best to meet Sat at some point, as Sunday morning will be chaotic in true Roman style.

Weather forecast for Sunday is currently low of 15˚C, high of 25˚, slightly cloudy. Lets hope it stays that way.

Sean

Polocini | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I'm also doing the gf Roma. I haven't ridden for five weeks due to work and then an injury getting in the way. I'm back on the bike from Monday and are planning to get in as many long steady rides in as I can. The gf is going to end up being a steady ride as without any training what else will your body be able to do??

Let me know if you want to meet up in Rome and we could always ride together until you drop me on the climbs!!!

Good luck
AL

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a great ride. I reckon if you can build up to maybe 60 miles, you'll probably manage it on the day, pacing yourself with breaks and a sensible speed. So with a 60 mile target and a presumed lower-than-you're-used-to level of fitness, plan a ride every other day, starting at 20 miles and increasing in 5-mile increments. If you start tomorrow (28-09), that would put you in a position to ride 60 miles on the 14-10. Obviously, if you can start with higher mileage, or increase the mileage at a slightly quicker rate, all the better.

The other thing is that, having just got back on the bike myself after an injury, I'm finding the flexibility and core strength to be more of a problem than actual bike fitness, to the point that my position on the bike has changed. So check you're still comfortable, and maybe do some stretching and core strength work while you're in front of the TV.

If you happen to get to a point where you're happy with your stamina with a few days to spare, do a couple of shorter high intensity rides to get some of the spark back in your legs.

I'm quite jealous - have fun!

NiceGuySean replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Glad to say I got round the 95Km route in 03:43:19, so am very pleased. Thanks for the tips, although I'll confess I only managed half of what you suggested, but it helped non the less.

Latest Comments