Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Oh bugger, it's Halfords

My company has finally signed up for the bike to work scheme, but with Halfords, which has scuppered my Trek Portland idea  2

I'm thinking of either a Kona Dr Dew or a Merida S-presso I-D8 for my ten mile commute. I like the idea of low maintenance offered by the Nexus hub. Does anyone have any experience or opinions of either bike as a year-round commuter ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Patrick1964 | 14 years ago
0 likes

Because we have less than 1000 employees we're restricted to the brands listed.

aspinall | 14 years ago
0 likes

I got a Trek Soho through the Halfords scheme a few months ago. You might have to travel to collect the bike because Trek won't let Halfords assemble them(!) but other than that, it wasn't a problem!

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

I know someone who managed to get a planet x stealth pro frameset through the halfords scheme...they may well be able to get hold of what you want.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

i've had a spin round the car park (literally) on the S-Presso at the Merida launch last year. It's a well put together bike, couldn't really comment on its year round performance  1

I've tried other Alfine bikes too (Cube Hooper, Ridgeback Flight 04, a Marin that I can't remember the name of right now) and the Alfine system is very good. It's hardy too: Genesis 2010 mountain bikes include a couple of Alfine-equipped hardtails. If you're planning to do ten miles a day, every day i reckon you'd notice the extra wheel weight over a derailleur system though.

markygee | 14 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried contacting the Halfords Team to see if they can source the Trek for you. I know that they won't deal with all makes (I was after a Ribble Sportive) but they deal with Specialized and others so they may do Trek.

I settled for their Boardman Urban Pro Ltd and it is excellent for commuting across town and fast enough to deal with the 10 miles home in the countryside too.

Worth asking anyway.

Cheers

Mark

Patrick1964 | 14 years ago
0 likes

I should add that I'm 6ft 3in, and the Halfords Hybrid is too short in the top tube for me.

stevester replied to Patrick1964 | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'd echo Dave's comment about weight. I have the Nexus on an Edinburgh Courier and the back wheel weighs a ton. It's good if you want a simple tough city bike, but on a 10 mile commute I'd think the Boardman bikes would be a good bet.

Latest Comments