Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Helmet company says dangerising cycling is good for business

A helmet company is pushing retailers to warn about the dangers of cycling as, guess what, it helps to sell helmets. Rudy Project communications director Amanda Grant published a piece in "Bicycle Dealer", a US trade mag. It includes some lovely advice to retailers on using anecdotal, emotional manipulation to sell helmets:

"Keep a helmet in shambles from a crash on display and include a testimony about the life it saved, or show a disturbing photograph or video"

Carlton Reid covers it on BikeBiz, and has a link to the article there: https://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/helmet-company-is-misrepresenting-dang...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Viro Indovina | 11 years ago
0 likes

file under: can (of worms) opener.

Selling IS manipulative. But as Mr Moss (the lawyer in the Bike Biz article) pointed out, there is a line beyond which the consumer is being lied to.

I don't think that Ms Grant is suggesting floor staff lie to the consumer. But her scare mongering advice and especially the shambolic-helmet-display idea doesn't sound too clever. Especially in America, where the "slip and fall" legal machine gets up to speed like a Tour breakaway.

Otherwise, it all looked like solid marketing tactics: refuting various consumer objections like "hot headedness" and "looks dorky" are basic skills of any self respecting retail worker.

fictional wilson | 11 years ago
0 likes

"dangerising"? who came up with this word? ( I realise I'm missing the point of the article, but really.... dangerising?)  39

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

I went into a shop some time ago (in Hereford) where there was a helmet which had obviously been vandalised as opposed to crashed; there was even a bike chain mark on it! Complete with an emotional message. If anyone was wearing this helmet when this damage was done it would be soaked in blood. Obviously a load of crap..to me; to others maybe not so obvious. Cycling can be dangerous but this sort of thing is silly. BUT I always wear a helmet and encourage others to do so.

Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ms Grant is head of marketing for Rudy Project in the US though, where the laws, retail environment and attitude to risk are slightly different to over here. I wonder how many other helmet companies offer much the same advice to their US dealers except more discretely?

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

And that's Rudy Project scratched off my list of companies I'll buy from.

SevenHills replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

And that's Rudy Project scratched off my list of companies I'll buy from.

+1
One can only hope after that crass marketing effort Ms Grant will be looking for a new job.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

IMO: Cycling is inherently dangerous, BUT:

You are more likely to have a car crash, and in that instance, more likely to undergo fatal damage to your head.

Wearing a helmet while you're driving would seem to be safer than when cycling, but you just don't.

ANOTHER BUT,

Just do [wear one].

It's totally wrong to latch on to this for marketing, absolute shocker from Rudy.

Latest Comments