Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paul Kimmage Defense Fund

I see a fund has opened to help Kimmage defend himself against the UCI:

http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2012/paul-kimmage-defense-fund

He's also started tweeting as @PaulKimmage

I think this may now go somewhere the UCI had no intention of it going. Let's hope so!

NB the Chipin widget doesn't appear on Apple devices as it's a Flash button.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

Comments from contributors here:
http://cyclismas.chipin.com/contributors/public/id/4db2e4ecaa6ad4fd

Some funny, some…er… strange but by and large a very positive reaction.

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

@GregLeMond has now shown support for this via twitter:

"This is an unjust action against a great person and one of the best journalists in the world. Let's support Paul.http://t.co/upZ813tv"

The snowball keeps rolling.

I think the odds that the UCI suddenly drop this might be shortening.
This could be the story that the media start focusing on - more than USADA v UCI.
There's a lot more human interest here and a ton of history.

The fund currently stands at $36,000 with just over 1000 contributors.

Blackhound | 11 years ago
0 likes

How much is needed? I know legal rep is expensive and Switzerland(?) maybe even more so.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Kimmage tweeted a photo of himself with McQuaid at the 1985 amateur Worlds. His subsequent tweet provided the caption: "Paul Kimmage (spitter in the soup) on the left. Pat McQuaid (saviour of the soup) on the right."

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

Both the Kimmage family and the McQuaid family were from Dublin. Both families were entrenched in cycling. Fathers, brothers and cousins would have raced against each other. Pretty small world back then I imagine. Not sure if Kimmage and McQuaid actually raced against each other (Kimmage's father might have) but McQuaid would have been director of the Irish squad when Kimmage was cycling, so their histories go way, way back.

To say there's 'a bit of history' would be an understatement.

SevenHills | 11 years ago
0 likes

If i am not mistaken there is a bit of history between Kimmage and McQuaid which might explain the fact that they are only going after him rather than both the author and the publication.
Does seem to be vindictive.

The Rumpo Kid replied to SevenHills | 11 years ago
0 likes
SevenHills wrote:

If i am not mistaken there is a bit of history between Kimmage and McQuaid which might explain the fact that they are only going after him rather than both the author and the publication.
Does seem to be vindictive.

A simpler explanation is that the publishers would have the funds to hand with which to mount a defence.

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

David Walsh of the Sunday Times has tweeted tha Tyler Hamilton has agreed to auctio memoribelia to help the Paul Kimmage Defence Fund.

The snowball keeps rolling.

_SiD_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

He's tweeting like there's no tomorrow.
Irreverent as hell and very entertaining.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do not want to make the news-hounds at Road cc feel bad or anything, but; I had to look this up on Velonation.com! Apparently Paul is accused of making false allegations about people in the UCI. I thought that if a journalist makes an allegation then the publication is jointly and separately liable? Seems a bit s**t that the UCI should target Paul personally when they must know that the publication is more likely to have the money to pay a penalty? Journalists do get a bit of leeway in the name of freedom of speech, but, surely if you make allegations that you cannot back up with evidence then more fool you? But having said that I may chip in in the name of access to justice!

notfastenough replied to SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

I do not want to make the news-hounds at Road cc feel bad or anything, but; I had to look this up on Velonation.com!

It's a fair point though - I had no idea this was happening.

Pages

Latest Comments