Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Petition: For Pat McQuaid to resign & UCI Cleaned Up

If you agree with it, could you all try to sign the petition here:

"World Cycling Organization UCI: For president Pat McQuaid to resign and cycling to be cleaned up"

http://tinyurl.com/PatMusgGoPetition

and pass on to as many people as you know - tweet, facebook, the lot! Thanks - Oh and once you've signed could you mention you've done so here to keep this post high / sticky on the board?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

The Rumpo Kid replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

... if the UCI controlled the revenue the three grand tours and other major races generated they could reinvest it into cycling.

PLEASE tell me this is the British sense of irony I've heard so much about.

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

ha ha funny, if you remove the shit a turd will replace it.

no hope

Sylvanus Urban | 11 years ago
0 likes

OK - Why not start that petition - I'll sign it although the chances of success seem much lower. Deposing McQuaid is a simple vote of the cycling associations. Asking the IOC to unrecognise the UCI seems like asking Assad to denounce Ahmadinejad.

The Rumpo Kid | 11 years ago
0 likes

Would the UCI be any better if Pat McQuaid were to resign? Hein Verbruggen's tenure as President saw numerous "donations" made to the UCI from people he asked us to believe got nothing in return.
The problem is not that Pat McQuaid is the unfit head of the UCI. It is that he is the head of the unfit UCI.
A better petition, and one just as unlikely to succeed, would be to request that the IOC cease to recognise the UCI as a credible, legitimate, governing body in sport.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

See, you're completely missing the point. We as cycling fans do not get to vote on who runs cycling!. We do however get to vote on who governs us and I quite happily vote in local, general and european elections for who I think the best candidate is. I get to voice my opinion on the ballot paper and I get a say in who runs the country. At no point do I get to choose the head of the UCI, the UCI chooses the next head of the UCI. What happens if you don't like the next one? Another petition...?

I've seen elsewhere (where you were subject to similar responses, so it's not just this forum who finds this idea pointless) that you suggested David Millar as a suitable replacement, on what basis is Millar qualified to run the entirety of competitive cycling? Do you even know what is required to be a good head of the UCI? Or are you just a bandwagon jumping fool who likes to think that a) getting highest profile member of an organisation fired will fix all it's problems and b) you can acheive this through fist shaking, tutting loudly and organising a petition and maybe a few placards?

The misconception that you, as a pleb on the internet, can exert any influence on an organisation such as the UCI is laughable and that you think that the rest of us, those who are realists and recognise the situation for what it is, are oafs suggests you are more misguided than the rest of us.

Sylvanus Urban replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

OK - So lets assume you're correct and public pressure will do nothing, which I very much doubt but let's assume.

What's your suggested course of action? How would it help?

0 likes

That really is unbelievably silly cynicism. Here's a suggestion:

In a democracy you can choose to vote for the least worst candidate or you can stand yourself. If you honestly believe that every politician is corrupt then your candidature would be a sweeping success.

If as, I suspect, your cynicism is actually a defensive cover for your own failure-ridden spotty existence then do buck up and sort yourself out. Being a get-up-and-go type, I sometimes go out canvassing and sentiments like yours are what I hear from the oafs with a mattress in the front garden and a fag hanging out of the corner of their mouth - always hard to know how they can think more of themselves than the average politician.

Any one go on and sign or watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fqjw2J1vI

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I mean, your tiny.url says 'Pat Musg Go' rather than 'Pat Must Go', just a small thing but it's a bit sloppy.

And it's pointless because this is a large, multi-national governing body we're talking about, not a local council. McQuaid has been under fire, over doping amongst other issues, for years and is still there. If he was going to be pressured out he'd have gone by now. Also, I don't see how McQuaid, who has only been head of the UCI since 2006, can be blamed for drugs in cycling, it's an age old problem and if anything McQuaid has governed the UCI in the period where it's done most to clean up sport (or where the sport has cleaned itself up the most, not sure the UCI have been too instrumental).

The real question is why do you think an internet petition will change anything?

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its like saying Cameron resign and the houses of parliament to be cleaned up. It will never happen.

drheaton replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Its like saying Cameron resign and the houses of parliament to be cleaned up. It will never happen.

Agreed, it's not going to happen therefore signing your petition is pointless.

Also, chopping off the head won't do anything. If Cameron did quit as PM because you (and the internet) signed a petition to clean up politics you've still got hundred of politicians who won't change at all.

Doping is/was the culture in cycling. It's changing but change is slow. Having the head of the UCI quit because you're not happy that change is happening quick enough when it's really down to teams and riders to push through that change, is daft.

0 likes

Works for me - what are you getting? How is it pointless?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Your tiny.url is misspelled.

Oh, and this is completely pointless.

Pages

Latest Comments