Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

is it worth considering a genesis equilibrium as a bike for upgrading?

apologies for asking another bike question.

i had been thinking of getting a tarmac sport bike as my first proper road bike,but i have also been thinking about an equilibrium if my local shop can get them (probably the 20) as i have always loved classic steel road bikes.

i would like to really upgrade the parts on it (funds allowing) to really pimp it up eventually (will take quite a while though).

would you say it would be worth it?

i know it's down to personal preference at the end of the day,but would be interested in what you thought?thanks  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes

thanks a lot for your replies  4
i must admit to being very impressed by the bike when i saw the red equilibrium 20 in john's bikes in bath (it looked lovely).
i must admit to having a big soft spot for the classic steel road bikes (i think it comes from watching greg lemond era tour de france/looking through those freewheel catalogues from the late 80's) and the genesis bike looks bang on the money tbh for me.
i really hope my local shop can order them (as i have p'xed another bike towards the road bike.whatever that may end up being  3

jengy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Also yes.
You can buy the frame and fork and build as you see fit.
I built mine with veloce group and bracciano wheels and its great. (thanks to Dave's review!)
Shop around and it might be cheaper than a built one.
It isnt the lightest of frames but doesnt seem any slower than my plastic bikes.. and my build is about the same weight as the new Ti version at half the price.

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

The 2013 is due any day so im hoping that 2012 full bikes may start appearing with good savings. The 2012 frameset is impossible to find now (ive tried)
I currently have a Aether and want to upgrade to the Equilibrium.
If i dont see a too-good-to-miss 2012 full bike i will probably buy the 2013 frame and build it up myself (my budget isnt to the same level as Dave though !)
Ive really looked hard to find a frame/ bike that looks as good as Genesis in that price range and nothing compares (in my opinion)

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

maybe i should elaborate  4

it's a brilliant frame. mine's currently running sram apex and some fairly low-end ritchey wheels and it's lovely. it's had full ultegra 6700 and a £1k wheelset on it in the past and it never felt like mutton dressed as lamb.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

yes

Latest Comments