Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aldi cycling offers

I know a few of you don't wear expensive kit all of the time  3 but Aldi have their usual Autumn offerings coming up soon....  4

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/25481.htm

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got a hi-viz waterproof jacket. By the time I got there , lunchtime in Cambridge, only small was left but got it for my daughter and I can just squeeze into it if I have cycling gear on but not over normal clothes.

Got a winter jacket, medium, today, which must have come in late as there were still plenty left. Have an XL from last year but the zip is a little dodgy but I'll keep it as a spare. New one has much better pockets, zip seems ok and it's also supposed to be waterproof.

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

My ALDI was teeming with cyclists this morning.

Got a merino top which is really really nice. Nice enough to wear off the bike in my opinion. Sizing a bit on the large size. I got a large and im often an XL and even the L is too big for on the bike - i reckon a M will be right nice and snug so may have to go and see if i can get another one. Something to consider.
Socks as top class as ever.
Got some overshoes. Didnt understand the sizing. Got what said were 8/9 presuming that was shoe size but seem a bit baggy. They will do for 6.99 though.

Update on my 9.99 long bibs from Lidl. Pretty rubbish. The pad is all over the place - i think the person who designed them needs a crash course in male anatomy.
Beside that i got knocked off today by a non indicating, non mirror checking half wit and ripped them so now have an excuse to ditch them and buy a decent pair!

petescales replied to Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes
Some Fella wrote:

My ALDI was teeming with cyclists this morning.

Got a merino top which is really really nice. Nice enough to wear off the bike in my opinion. Sizing a bit on the large size. I got a large and im often an XL and even the L is too big for on the bike - i reckon a M will be right nice and snug so may have to go and see if i can get another one. Something to consider.
Socks as top class as ever.
Got some overshoes. Didnt understand the sizing. Got what said were 8/9 presuming that was shoe size but seem a bit baggy. They will do for 6.99 though.

Update on my 9.99 long bibs from Lidl. Pretty rubbish. The pad is all over the place - i think the person who designed them needs a crash course in male anatomy.
Beside that i got knocked off today by a non indicating, non mirror checking half wit and ripped them so now have an excuse to ditch them and buy a decent pair!

Interesting, i'm an XL got an XL and it's a great fit, must agree it looks good enough to wear sans velo!

petescales | 11 years ago
0 likes

My Aldi sells papers so for a 45p outlay!!!!

Only today though.

Got there at opening time and the bikers had already stormed the gates.

Got shoes a merino top and some socks and at the size 10 shoes fit fine.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Still have the lights and LED straps from last year, I might nip in for another set of lights.

farrell | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bugger, saw a link to the Mirror voucher and forgot to click it.

I've gone for some gloves and tights on the clothes front and a rear pannier rack.

I've also picked up one of those Hi-Viz/led strap things, I cant for the life of me think why I bought it, i think I may have got a bit giddy.

colhum1 replied to farrell | 11 years ago
0 likes

I got those HiViz led straps last year...clipped them on to my rucksack.
Great for the dark early morning ride to work.

Saint Mikie 41 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Been in there this morning and picked up some gloves and leg and arm warmers. They all seem okay, going to look a bit odd later mixing and matching Aldi/Crane kit with Rapha and Specialized. But if it does the job and I get one winter's wear out of them , then job done in my book.

Also have a Lidl's work stand , cracking bit of kit for the price done me proud for 6 months now!

petescales | 11 years ago
0 likes

Tomorrows Daily Mirror has a £5 off voucher for Aldi when you spend over £35 and tomorrow is when the cycling gear is available from!

colhum1 replied to petescales | 11 years ago
0 likes
petescales wrote:

Tomorrows Daily Mirror has a £5 off voucher for Aldi when you spend over £35 and tomorrow is when the cycling gear is available from!

Used the Mirror coupon  4

Picked up a pair of the winter trousers....fit well...no pad issue and seem to be of a good quality, water and wind repellent...do me for commuting
a soft shell winter jacket again water and wind repellent...good fit
And a few pairs of the socks that others have +1 on......

All in large too....

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

rapha or nothing for me...

Joselito | 11 years ago
0 likes

Some fella,
Landed Decathlon's Merino base layers over last 2 winters. Well worth the sub £20 cost.
I found them in the hiking section rather than cycling though.
The second one I bought had quite wide wrists though which is a bit annoying.

0 likes

Mixed reviews on the toolkit eh?

Agree with John the Monkey about the pad position in the bib shorts. Very odd.

Everyone agrees on the socks though!

I believe Decathlon do a very cheap merino top too - although they are always sold out when ever i go in.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for decathlon. Going there this week!

Gkam84 replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

+1 for decathlon. Going there this week!

Is Sohrabi a Decathlon man??

On a serious note, Would you look at the price of compression top and bottom's in size large? I don't have a store anywhere near me. There doesn't seem to be much of it on their site. Apart from this bargain I was going to order, but they don't deliver to my area  20 .

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/long-sleeved-compression-top-id_8201257.html

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the socks. I have a number of pairs of varying thickness and all are great value.

It looks like they have redesigned the winter gloves. Will pop in to try a pair as I've been using the previous long finger gloves for several winters now. They're not warm enough for sub-zero rides but fine above, and they cost a pittance. Crane mitts are excellent value too.

The long sleeve jersey I bought went on ebay as it didn't fit me. I've tried other garments on in the shop and the same applies.

I think I saw some favourable reviews of the 30% merino base layer so might try one, though am inclined to think that the higher the proportion of wool the better it works so may just stick with my current favourites - Howies NBL and Endura BaaBaa.

The seat pack with allen multitool is fine but the track pump was junk. For other tools I'd buy branded gear.

John_the_Monkey | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oddly, we were talking about this elsewhere today. IME, it;s a bit of a gamble - I've had great Aldi stuff (the 2009 training jacket, although the stitching is going on that now) and less great stuff (the bib shorts with the bizarrely positioned pad, the jacket designed for barrel chested men with pipe cleaner arms).

My Lidl toolkit and workstand have been superb, fwiw.

The socks are consistently good though (so far).

nellybuck@msn.com replied to John_the_Monkey | 11 years ago
0 likes
John_the_Monkey wrote:

Oddly, we were talking about this elsewhere today. IME, it;s a bit of a gamble - I've had great Aldi stuff (the 2009 training jacket, although the stitching is going on that now) and less great stuff (the bib shorts with the bizarrely positioned pad, the jacket designed for barrel chested men with pipe cleaner arms).

My Lidl toolkit and workstand have been superb, fwiw.

The socks are consistently good though (so far).

I am that man with the barrel chest and skinny arms!

+1 for the toolkit, no problems with mine for general maintenance and tinkering.

also agree about the seat pads, feels very cumbersome, hence rarely used. Worth the gamble for £10 or whatever it was though.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've looked at the Aldi stuff last time they did a promotion. I personally think that the Decathlon kit is a heck of a lot better and of a similar price. well worth the trip if you don't live near one.

Decathlon London do mail order - a well kept secret!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

That tool kit I have seen.....DONT buy it, its very poor construction.

If you want a cheap kit, I can recommend one on ebay that I used to have. But Aldi's isn't great. I used a mates to repair a couple of things on his bike, snapped the chainwhip on the first using.

Gonna try to get some of the compression stuff as I'm currently using cheapo (free) NHS compression socks. Just need to find someone with an Aldi near them  39  19

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have the lights from last winter- think I might double up on them. Tool kit looks handy too.
Thanks for the post.

0 likes

Love a bit of Aldi (and Lidl).
Today on my ride i wore ALDI 'compression' socks - LIDL bib longs and an ALDI windproof. All the Rapha boys look at me in envy i can tell you!
The socks are ace but the rest of the stuff is as you would imagine for such prices. Perfectly adequate for plodders like me though.

The ALDI stuff is made by Crane though which is very respectable brand.
The tool kit looks pretty good too.

Thanks for the 'heads up' - as im sure young people dont say anymore.

Latest Comments