Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Yesterday I was hit by a car....do I bother claiming?

Yesterday I was hit by a car as I rode into Bristol. I was riding on the A37 through a residential area and approaching a set of traffic lights.

At this particular point, the road has three sections from the curb to the centre line. Parking out side houses, a cycle path (3' wide, and a red tarmac surface), and the main part of the road.

As I approached the traffic lights which were turning from red to green, I filtered up the cycle path along side the traffic. When was approximately within 4 cars of the lights the car on my right came across the cycle path heading to a parking space. I had no where to go, catching his wing mirror with my handlebars, specifically my shifter hood, and subsequently with my hip. Somehow I managed to stay upright and not go straight over his bonnet, nor carrying straight on and into the curb.

A little shaken up, as this is the first time I've been hit, I composed myself and took the driver's details (admittedly with an occasional expletive chucked in). The drive of course blamed me for riding up the cycle lane and getting in the way of him parking.

As a result of the collision the bike appears to have come away unscathed, other than needing to straighten the shifter my a couple of mm. My injuries total a bruised hip, bruised shin and a little lost skin on my hand, and a sore shoulder (similar feeling to a muscle strain but no sign of bruising).

Question is do I claim? The injuries are I admit minor and the damage to the bike nil. There is however the principle of the matter and the fact he pulled across cycle lane and took me out.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You can see the cosmetic damage to you and your bike but you should get both checked out properly.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Definitely inform the police:

1. You aren't feeling injured YET. That shoulder might make itself a bit more distracting at some point, and it's important you can trace any pains back to the incident.

2. You dont know that the other driver isn't going to inform the Police with some half-baked story about a cyclist damaging his car.

Grizzerly | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you are injured, the police should be informed. If the motorist hasn't done so, I'm pretty sure that is another offence.

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

You could inform the police, it is an rta after all, but as it is superficial injuries i'm not sure they will follow it up although the driver is definetly at fault for changing lane without checking it was clear.

chris4567 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You have not had any loss, so you cannot really make a claim. It sounds more like driving without due care and attention, so a crime, rather than an insurance issue.

londonplayer replied to chris4567 | 11 years ago
0 likes
chris4567 wrote:

You have not had any loss, so you cannot really make a claim. It sounds more like driving without due care and attention, so a crime, rather than an insurance issue.

I couldn't disagree more. This cyclist has been injured. As commenters later have said, these minor injuries may become bothersome in the future. DEFINITELY report it to the police because if they do charge the guy and he is prosecuted, it will make it a lot easier for him to dispute the claim. Once there is a "criminal" conviction, it is virtually impossible for the driver to argue that the incident was not his fault.

On the other hand, if you feel that the driver is reasonable guy and you don't want him to suffer any consequences, maybe have a chat with him and try and sort the whole thing out with a handshake.

Latest Comments