Building my own bike.

by stumps   September 13, 2012  

Now that my daughter has decided that my Rockhopper looks quite cool she has decided its hers.

So instead of buying a new bike "off the shelf" i think i will try and build my own MTB.

Been looking at the Planet X website and some of the hardtail frames look really nice, just the colour to decide.

As for the rest going to shop around and see what i can pick up without breaking the bank.

My bro suggested SRAM Red, what are peoples opinions.

Any ideas or if someone has done something similar any advice would be appreciated

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Build it from SCRATCH.......Go out and learn to braze. Its not hard.....start with a small solder kit and work your way up. Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8858 posts]
13th September 2012 - 23:11

1 Like

I thought SRAM Red was only a road groupset?

Regardless, SRAM kit is good, it's light, and cheapest of the big boys.

Sounds like a great project! I built a maintenance workstand using steel tubing and brazing when I was in 6th form (long time ago...) - think it would be a big step up to build a frame though!

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3193 posts]
14th September 2012 - 9:20

1 Like

The SRAM kit on my Specialized mtb does the job nicely Smile (And I also think SRAM Red is their top-end road groupset offering.)

A pal built-up his bike from a Planet X carbon cross frame, and is well chuffed with the result (& faster sportive times..!)

I built-up my new road bike this year, and the process of choosing each component is.. well.. a process. I wouldn't go back from here though.

Let us know how you get on - great project Smile

blue's picture

posted by blue [15 posts]
14th September 2012 - 17:42

0 Likes

Gonna take my time, write ideas down and see what the costing is like.

Once i realise i have spent to much i will no doubt have to sell my soul on ebay and everything else i own Crying

‘It is useless to meet revenge with revenge: it will heal nothing.’

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2755 posts]
14th September 2012 - 19:15

1 Like

Stick me down for first dips on your soul......could do with a spare Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8858 posts]
14th September 2012 - 19:32

1 Like