Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Building my own bike.

Now that my daughter has decided that my Rockhopper looks quite cool she has decided its hers.

So instead of buying a new bike "off the shelf" i think i will try and build my own MTB.

Been looking at the Planet X website and some of the hardtail frames look really nice, just the colour to decide.

As for the rest going to shop around and see what i can pick up without breaking the bank.

My bro suggested SRAM Red, what are peoples opinions.

Any ideas or if someone has done something similar any advice would be appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Stick me down for first dips on your soul......could do with a spare  3

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gonna take my time, write ideas down and see what the costing is like.

Once i realise i have spent to much i will no doubt have to sell my soul on ebay and everything else i own  20

blue | 11 years ago
0 likes

The SRAM kit on my Specialized mtb does the job nicely  1 (And I also think SRAM Red is their top-end road groupset offering.)

A pal built-up his bike from a Planet X carbon cross frame, and is well chuffed with the result (& faster sportive times..!)

I built-up my new road bike this year, and the process of choosing each component is.. well.. a process. I wouldn't go back from here though.

Let us know how you get on - great project  1

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I thought SRAM Red was only a road groupset?

Regardless, SRAM kit is good, it's light, and cheapest of the big boys.

Sounds like a great project! I built a maintenance workstand using steel tubing and brazing when I was in 6th form (long time ago...) - think it would be a big step up to build a frame though!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Build it from SCRATCH.......Go out and learn to braze. Its not hard.....start with a small solder kit and work your way up.  3

Latest Comments