Halfords Ride to work scheme

by petescales   September 13, 2012  

It looks like my work will be signing up to the above. I am wondering what my likely options are for a "sportive" style bike? Apparently you can get any make but get better discounts on instore/partner brands. I would like something with "better than Sora level" kit if possible. Reviews suggest Boardmans are race geometry and I am currently on a Carrera TDF

11 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

You get £1000 still or has the scheme changed ? You used to get a voucher you could use at any place that accepted them , if thats still the case look here http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes better(as good as at least)than Boardman , damn site better customer service than Halfords and DOLAN is cool

posted by ratattat [51 posts]
13th September 2012 - 18:39

1 Like

You don't have to buy from Halfords. They make every effort to imply that you have to, but you don't. If your local LBS supports the halfords scheme, you can get your bike from them.

Avoid Halfords like the plague, or if you do get a bike from them, tell them to leave it in the box and get your LBS to assemble it. Their 'mechanics' are actively dangerous in their ignorance.

posted by localsurfer [187 posts]
14th September 2012 - 7:30

1 Like

The 1st time my company ventured into Cycle to Work schemes it was with Halfords own scheme which had the same £1000 limit as the other schemes available.You weren't limited to Halfords own bikes,they had a team of people who could basically get you any bike through the major importers. I bought a Specialized Tricross for commuting, the only warning I would give is that, as with any retailer, the sizes can start to run out depending on the time of year so think of a couple of options.The service was great & I had no issues.The Boardman Teamm has 105 & is under a grand along with the Giant Defy & both get great reviews.

posted by GodleySpinner [21 posts]
14th September 2012 - 21:34

1 Like

The £1000 C2W 'limit' is only for companies which don't hold a Consumer Credit License. So if you're working for a company which offers finance to customers, you earn enough and they're happy paying out the money then you can get as much money as you like to play with.

Municipal Waste's picture

posted by Municipal Waste [237 posts]
14th September 2012 - 22:16

1 Like

Localsurfer - I am really interested in your comment that you don't have to buy from Halfords. All the literature on the CTW scheme at work is adamant that you need to go through Halfords but if that is not true I am keen to go through my LBS.

Do you know where I can get some info to back up the argument I fear I am undoubdetly about to enter into? Big Grin

Skardy's picture

posted by Skardy [98 posts]
15th September 2012 - 15:34

1 Like

Localsurfer - Forget that last comment, I have just had a closer look at the scheme and my employer uses the cycle2work scheme which is run by Halfords. Sad

Skardy's picture

posted by Skardy [98 posts]
15th September 2012 - 15:43


I've had a chris boardman team carbon for 2 years now, it's mint and only cost £1000.

Go get it, now.

posted by SammyG [295 posts]
15th September 2012 - 16:07

1 Like

There's a section on their website with all the bike brands they can get plus the phone number if you want something else:


posted by unsafeatanyspeed75 [4 posts]
16th September 2012 - 8:09

1 Like

Thanks Guys, we will exactly whats available soon, my preference is a Defy but am open to other suggestions, we dont have a credit licence so its £1000 max!

posted by petescales [32 posts]
16th September 2012 - 17:27

1 Like

Is there anything to stop you supplementing the voucher with some of your own cash?

posted by paulfg42 [395 posts]
16th September 2012 - 22:05

1 Like

i got a ridley orion thro' my works cyclescheme in the sale at my lbs price £1499 and i just paid the extra £499 when i went to pick up the bike. most bike shops let you pay the extra cash if it is over the £1000 limit.

posted by mpt68 [107 posts]
17th September 2012 - 14:35

1 Like