Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2012 Worlds

Whilst its still a week away from the TT just wondering what peoples thoughts are about the races and can Cav defend his road race title  39

Its a big ask but you never know !

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I may put JTL in based on price alone!

Stumps replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

I may put JTL in based on price alone!

Good call, he'll certainly have the confidence to go for it. Might be to soon after ToB though.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just saw it here

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/534807/froome-withdraws-from-...

There is a plan on hand I think to keep the rainbow jersey in British hands. For once British cycling is keeping its cards close to its chest, unlike the Olympic's mess.

Quote:

Tour of Britain winner Jonathan Tiernan-Locke is also part of Britain's nine-man road race team alongside 2011 champion Mark Cavendish, Wiggins, Froome, Dowsett, Ben Swift, Vuelta stage winner Steve Cummings, Tour of Britain stage winner Luke Rowe and British national champion Ian Stannard.
The gruelling 261-kilometre World Championship road race takes place on undulating course. Cavendish is not expected to be in contention to defend his rainbow jersey, but no clear plan has been suggested by British Cycling as to who the squad's team leader will be. At least, not out in the open...

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Froome out of the ITT

livestrongnick replied to ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Froome out of the ITT

Just seen it on twitter.......time for a re-think  39

TERatcliffe26 replied to livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

Froome out of the ITT

Just seen it on twitter.......time for a re-think  39

Froome never even entered the equation for me!

I cant even afford to get Martin in my team, not without completely compromising my DS's

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just did a trial of my prospected stars to see how many credits i would have left for DS's, thought I had it sorted....however I completely forgot about Sagan  39

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ha, class mate  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Mehdi Sohrabi would not need a team. He is a team within one body. He embraces team spirit as a concept and accepts that every individual bone is part of his team. Going well above the 10 riders limit. He removed all bones from his body leaving as follows.

1 finger bone for gear changing
2 feet without toes or connection to ankle to power pedals
1 pelvis to balance on the saddle
1 ear bone thingy to hear his own voice and Jens Voigt's thoughts
2 shoulders for aerodynamics

Everything else has been replaced by titanium rods for weight saving with carbon joints.

I was just hit by some sort of psychic fit in which he spoke to me......

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah you might aswell just have the individual TT and then add their times together.....

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Money - thats what the TTT is all about. My tip for the road race is Nordhaug. Going to put £20.00 on him at the bookies.

Hmm better check he is racing first though.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Under UCI TTT rules, for the world champs they would need 5 or 6 riders.

Quote:

TEAM TIME TRIAL:

The principle is the same as for the individual time trial but this event is raced by teams of a minimum of 2 riders and a maximum of 10 riders.
The team time trial will be on the programme at the UCI Road World Championships as from 2012, (5 to 6 riders per team). All the UCI Teams will be able to participate (UCI ProTeams, UCI Professional Continental Teams, UCI Continental Teams, UCI Women’s Teams).

I think this is why most TTT's if any are at the start of any stage race, To make sure there are enough riders for the "normal" 5th man over the line time set up.

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

To make sure there are enough riders for the "normal" 5th man over the line time set up.

You know, if it was up to me there'd be no 5th man 'over-the-line' rule. It would be every man gets the time over the line. If Cancellara wants to power his away alone at the end of a TTT, let him!  1

Stumps replied to enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

To make sure there are enough riders for the "normal" 5th man over the line time set up.

You know, if it was up to me there'd be no 5th man 'over-the-line' rule. It would be every man gets the time over the line. If Cancellara wants to power his away alone at the end of a TTT, let him!  1

It's not really a Team TT then though, its more of a pace your best rider and then drop off to let him get the best time. Start as a team, end as a team in my opinion.

enrique replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

... its more of a pace your best rider and then drop off to let him get the best time. Start as a team, end as a team in my opinion.

I'd be ok with that... If your aim is the GC, do that!.... If your aim is the Team Standings, then you can all arive together!... I just wish the teams would ahev the discretion, so that Cancellara or Evans wouldn't be at the mercy of the 5th man over the line rule if they wanted to get the yeloow jersey in a Tour sooner, rather than later....

TERatcliffe26 replied to enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
stumps wrote:

... its more of a pace your best rider and then drop off to let him get the best time. Start as a team, end as a team in my opinion.

I'd be ok with that... If your aim is the GC, do that!.... If your aim is the Team Standings, then you can all arive together!... I just wish the teams would ahev the discretion, so that Cancellara or Evans wouldn't be at the mercy of the 5th man over the line rule if they wanted to get the yeloow jersey in a Tour sooner, rather than later....

I disagree, Its a team time trial for the a reason, so your best rider shouldnt be allowed to go off, its tough if the rest of the team is not up to scratch. In fact i think it should be all 9 men to cross the line not just 5 (unless they retire from the race on that stage)

Stumps replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Under UCI TTT rules, for the world champs they would need 5 or 6 riders.

Quote:

TEAM TIME TRIAL:

The principle is the same as for the individual time trial but this event is raced by teams of a minimum of 2 riders and a maximum of 10 riders.
The team time trial will be on the programme at the UCI Road World Championships as from 2012, (5 to 6 riders per team). All the UCI Teams will be able to participate (UCI ProTeams, UCI Professional Continental Teams, UCI Continental Teams, UCI Women’s Teams).

I think this is why most TTT's if any are at the start of any stage race, To make sure there are enough riders for the "normal" 5th man over the line time set up.

Some countries would only be able to have one person in their team, it's a good job Raleigh's not on at the mo, could you imagine having 5 or 6 Mehdi Sohrabi's, he would explode with joy  24

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't think its a cope out by the UCI. How many national teams would put in a team for the time trial?

Th UK might at a push be able. But then it would be detrimental to the RR. The smaller nation's would be at a massive disadvantage. If they could even muster a team.

Look at someone like Peter Sagan. He might be a world champion one day. He's not really a TT guy....YET. That might come. But there is only him and his brother really. Thats not to say there are not others who could make up a team. But not to that standard.

Where are running it as trade teams. They are going to put in strong teams just for the fact its something to win and secondly to please sponsors. Finally, it might be some of their riders only chance.  3

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

How many national teams would put in a team for the time trial?

Hell, I'd be ok with them doing 2 man teams!

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Are there more than 9 teams competing? Not really looked into it, still think its a cop out on behalf of the UCI to let trade teams in so they can get their sponsors on show. Why not just run the road race in trade teams too? Total cop out by a weak governing body scared of the trade teams and their threats to break away.

enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes

How about we run it here on the forum? Just choose 9 teams, not riders, you get 10 points for 1st, 9 for 2nd, etc...?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah the TTT is for trade teams and its not going to be interesting or worthwhile putting into the game

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm not overly fussed to be honest, can't see how it'd be that interesting, especially under the usual TTT rules. Lots of teams with two lots of 10 points, two lots of 9 points etc etc plus with it not being part of a larger race there'd be no GC points or anything else. Pretty dull fantasy wise.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

yeah, it could if people want it.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

The TTT would be a separate event and it's not listed under the 'stages' page so I assume the fantasy game won't be running for that. Of course, it could still be added...

leortp | 11 years ago
0 likes

so there are no team trial points awarded?

Debarrio | 11 years ago
0 likes

No, definitely not. Not that much cobbles left in Holland...

Anyway, not sure if this works, but here is where they finish (it's about 1,200 mtr further up the road from the Amstel Gold Race's finish line):

http://maps.google.nl/?ll=50.856893,5.815115&spn=0.012733,0.077162&t=m&z...

James Warrener | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dont think so...

silas chime | 11 years ago
0 likes

Isn't the last climb cobbles?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was thinking Rodriguez but not sure it's a long enough last climb for him to not be out muscled at the finish by a Gilbert type ride.

I'd like to pick a combo maybe 5 or 6 'cheap' (15-30 credits) stars then fill in the blanks with in-form DSs. If it's 4/5 then I'll probably end up picking a Gilbert or Rodriguez cost rider just to use up my credits.

Pages

Latest Comments