Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wired article: "The Olympics would be better if athletes were allowed to take drugs"

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/07/olympics-with-drugs

Any article that starts with "Poor old Lance Armstrong" is bound to stir up a few emotional responses...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Why go down the technology/drug route? If on the 100m sprint you let a hungry lion go a split second after the starting signal! Faster times, happy crowd, a win win situation  19 For the road race an Addison Lee taxi driver let go after a set time  39

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was just looking for a new book, and think I'll buy this - rather topicl for this discussion I thought:

Amped, by Daniel H Wilson

"Technology makes them superhuman. But mere mortals want them kept in their place. Enter a stunning world where technology and humanity clash in terrifying and surprising ways. Some people are implanted with upgrades that make them capable of superhuman feats. The powerful technology has profound consequences for society, and soon a set of laws is passed that restricts the abilities - and rights - of 'amplified' humans. On the day that the Supreme Court passes the first of these laws, 29-year-old Owen Gray discovers that his seizure-supressing medical implant is actually a powerful upgrade. Owen joins the ranks of a new persecuted underclass known as 'amps' and is forced to go on the run, desperate to reach an outpost in Oklahoma where, it is rumoured, a group of the most enhanced amps are about to change the world - or destroy it."

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think the really important issue in the article concerns gene therapy and the fact that we'll be able to change our basic genetic nature in the future. Then there will be no 'true' human nature to test in sport regardless of whether drugs can be discovered or not.

Not sure I agree with allowing oxygen tents as well as drugs as they advantage the rich nations too much. In fact a lot of success in sport is down to money and opportunity as much as talent. Look at Mo Farah's twin brother who didn't come to the UK and is just a normal guy but was equal to Mo as a child.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

What a great idea! But... anyone who thinks that drugs are a good idea should read this first http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/26/sports/drug-testing-east-german-steroi... Plus too many red blood cells = blood clots which can cause strokes, heart attacks, thrombosis. Just to please the crowd. Like I said; what a great idea  39

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah thats true. I should have noted that. I just put up their averages. I'd still struggle to beat Bolt on my bike though

0 likes

Since mach 1 at sea level is 330 m/s (IIRC), 0.3 sec would mean running at mach 0.1 - that would be bonkers.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

7 seconds would suit me fine. 3 seconds would be scary, plus you'd hardly see them. Thats 33m per second

So 3 second for 100m would be around 74mph  19

7 seconds is around 32mph

The current world record 9.58 for Bolt works out at 23.3mph

Thats quicker than I'd do 100m on my bike from a track start I think

drheaton replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

So 3 second for 100m would be around 74mph  19

Don't forget that from a stationary start that'd be their average over the 100m, if over the 3 seconds they have constant acceleration they'd actually be going around 150mph at the end. More likely though they'd get up to a speed of around 100mph in the first second then hold that for the last two.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

"Do you want to see someone run the 100m in ten seconds, or three?"

FB

19  19  19

0 likes

I'd like to see someone go up Alpe D'huez in 38 minutes... oh wait...

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think I read this the other day, But i'd like to see.....

Anyone banned for doping, banned for life, but included in the "Hyper Olympics" as I would call it.

Like a Olympics for dopers. Lets see how much can actually be gained by doping. Get all the dopers together and then doper the "nearly" men.....Have a bit of fun with it, Like human guinea pigs. Then see the results on the body. BUT also a very important thing. See how different types of doping can be found in testing.

Use things that all the top guys "might" be using and figure out ways of catching them.

I'd love to see a guy run the 100m in 7 seconds  19

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm, i dont like the idea of making it all legal. Where would it end ? you would get smack heads complaining to the human rights courts that "ATHLETES TAKE DRUGS - NOW LEGALISED - SO WHY CANT I?".

A bit cynical i know but honestly where would it all end.  39

Latest Comments