Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Are you a Mamil?

Just been reading the BBC's latest incite into cycling....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608

Quote:

Given the number of men aged 35-44 who are buying fancy-pants road racing machines, is this a 21st Century mid-life crisis? Has the silence of skinny tyres and carbon fibre framesets replaced the thunderous noise of motorbikes?

I'm only 28.....So I can relax  19

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oi stumps leave us shorter uns alone mate. Caav's a gigantor when I'm stood next to him.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think real munchkins might find that comment offensive, stumps

At 5'6" he's two inches taller than me but hardly something to brag about.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cav isnt very tall but he still stands taller than Sugar, the man must be a munchkin if those photos are anything to go by  7

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Who's riding his PPP (Prized Pinarello Prince) in those photo's?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd post it again but. I can't be bothered so I'll describe it to you:

Alan Sugar in complete garmin kit.
Helmet with a peak, and socks extended well beyond the furthest extent of varicose.
He stands abreast a pinarello Paris with super record and 404s.

Never.
Never.
Go there.

#5, htfu etc.

Simon E replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think über-Mamil Alan Sugar's choice of clothing is entirely up to him, though I'd not wish to look the same. But then he surely doesn't give a s**t what we think (and surely wouldn't want to dress like you or me either).

More recently he was featured in Cycling Weekly riding with Mark Cavendish; that time he was wearing rather less garish Assos and riding a white Pinarello (photos here).

Comrade | 11 years ago
0 likes

Spooky. This must have resurfaced somewhere, some one at work e-mailed me the same article this week! I did laugh as I'm 46...Simone the E and I are not twins yet I feel like I stole his identity!!! Sorry !

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Should point out the term MAMIL was coined by consumer research group Mintel (whose report is referenced in the BBC report)  3

_Karlos_ | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'll treat this media borne descriptive genius with the contempt it deserves.
Makes me want to kill.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm 46 and wear lycra but my wife insists I'm not a Mamil. I think it's a compliment rather than an indication that I don't quite make the grade. I ride a cheap aluminium bike; my cycling drawer contains Aldi, not Assos or Rapha; and the only sportive I've entered was a road.cc scwhag grab. I took my two young kids and we rode the shortest loop at a leisurely pace.

A sports car used to be the classic mid-life crisis purchase. Perhaps nowadays a Dogma (with Zipps) on the roof of the X5 sends the same kind of message.

The spectacular growth in the number of Mamils has prompted the comment that "cycling is the new golf" (example). That sends a shiver down my spine!

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm 40, I wear lycra and also don't give a stuff. However, I have been cycling since 1975 so why should I stop now?

Gkam84 replied to londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

I'm 40, I wear lycra and also don't give a stuff. However, I have been cycling since 1975 so why should I stop now?

Were you wearing Lycra in 75  19

I've been going since 86. When I reach "middle" age, I'll invest in a wardrobe of new lyrca.....but it might be out of fashion by then with some super dooper new material  19

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm a big fat mamil.

OldRidgeback | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm 50 and wear lycra and don't have any saggy overhang. I've got the motorbike as well, but then I've had motorcycles continuously since I was in my 20s.

RobeH | 11 years ago
0 likes

im 47 and i wear lycra and guess what i dont give a *uck what i look like  33

ploughclose | 11 years ago
0 likes

This was a brilliant piece. I first started road biking aged 58 (I'm now 62) so I'm an OAMIL and very proud of it!  16 (I've also done Ventoux as per the article....)  4

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm 45 now so i was a mamil back in 2010, but does that make me one now  39

Hope so cos i still love riding me bike  4

James Warrener | 11 years ago
0 likes

http://road.cc/content/blog/46858-my-sunday-rogues

I blogged this on here a little while back (kind of)...

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well I was about to admit to being a mamil, since I'm 36, BUT when that was published, I was only 34, so therefore I'm not a mamil!

Still, f*** it, at least the author was writing it having tried riding, (and enjoyed it).

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh frug. I didn't even see that, It was under their "Most Popular" top 10 stories.....Why does it keep doing that to me.  19

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

"14 August 2010"

welcome to the internetz

Latest Comments