Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hoods, bars, drops?

I went out for the 1st time today on a road bike and my hands spent most of the time on the hoods. I got a bit of soreness on the base of my thumbs - is that normal to start or might my hands be positioned poorly?

It also got me to thinking about when you should use the drops, hoods or bars when out on a ride. Any comments?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hoods generally for me with tops when climbing. I use the drops if the road is flat and/or if there is a head or side wind and when descending; I'd use them more if I shed a bit of upholstery too.

As others have said, a decent pair of gloves should help. Are you leaning heavily on your arms/hands?

paulfg42 replied to Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Quite possibly. My mitts are quite worn too so maybe I'll try some with a bit more padding.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

You'll get used to it. Good mitts will help if you weren't wearing any. After a few rides you'll find the best position for your hands on the hoods and the hoods are where most people ride most of the time.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Here I am (lol)  4

Tend to agree, never venture out of the drops.

The only exceptions? An alp. Or perhaps if you have sora (or other campagnolo imitates).

captain_slog | 11 years ago
0 likes

Where's Raleigh? Has term started already? Is he in the library? I'll say it then:

DROPS DROPS DROPS

Or wherever you feel most comfortable. Cycling mitts will help: they should have padding at the base of the thumb.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hoods for normal riding and climbing and drops for descending or anything fast. Rarely use tops at all.

ALIHISGREAT | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hoods most of the time.

Tops for climbing as it opens your chest for breathing.

Drops for descending, fast cornering, sprinting, wind etc.

Psycling | 11 years ago
0 likes

I ride hoods most of the time. Tops for climbing seated and drops for descending.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

i use the hoods most of the time too but switching positions to the tops or drops every now and then definitely helps to prevent your hands getting sore/numb

Latest Comments