Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hub Query

I am about to get a 10spd hub and have a 9spd cassette so will this fit ok or will I need a spacer or new cassette?

Thanks Steve

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

just for reference a Campagnolo hub that takes a 10 speed cassette will also take a 9 (and an 11 for that matter).

cat1commuter | 11 years ago
0 likes

You'd only need a spacer for a 7 speed cassette. 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes all fit on the same freehub because they progressively narrower chains and spacing between sprockets.

Nevetsyarg | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. It's shimano as from a friend so reliable source. Good I only need a spacer.

cat1commuter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Who says it is 10 speed?

Shimano used to make 10 speed hubs (2004 - 2007) with taller splines to prevent steel cogs biting into aluminium freehub bodies. It didn't catch on, and they reverted to the shallower splines. So all Shimano / SRAM freehub bodies are now the same. (Unless you go to 11 speed Dura Ace, which, I think, just needs a spacer to be compatible with 8/9/10 speed cassettes.)

So, no problem (unless your hub or cassette is Campagnolo, which is another story).

Latest Comments