Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Reflectors for clipless pedals

Does anyone know where I can get a set of reflectors for my Ultegra PD-6700-C carbon pedals? Just bought a Merida Scultura Comp 905e-Di2 and want to stay legal now the nights are closing in without the faff of swapping to standard pedals. Done a lot of searching on the web and can't find anything. Not even on eBay. The only place that seems to mention them is the Shimano website.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

jayme | 11 years ago
0 likes

Time to pull up a chair and get the pop corn out as this will "Probably" go on for a while now.  1

Stumps replied to jayme | 11 years ago
0 likes
jayme wrote:

Time to pull up a chair and get the pop corn out as this will "Probably" go on for a while now.  1

Haha, lush quote mate, at least someone has a sense of humour.  41 .

Lets move onto something vaguely approaching sensible.

The Rumpo Kid replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:
jayme wrote:

Haha, lush quote mate, at least someone has a sense of humour.  41 .

Lets move onto something vaguely approaching sensible.

Dammit Stumpy, I was going to say exactly the same thing and you beat me to it! This now means, of course, that your name is even higher on my list of mortal enemies!

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

The rumpo kid - does it actually matter that i added probably. Or is it just a case that since you came onto the forum you have constantly tried to find fault with certain members ?????????.

No doubt you will deny it.  21

0 likes
stumps wrote:

The rumpo kid - does it actually matter that i added probably. Or is it just a case that since you came onto the forum you have constantly tried to find fault with certain members ?????????.

No doubt you will deny it.  21

Well yes the word "probably" is relevant. On the other matter, yes I will deny it. Who have I tried to "find fault" with? Obviously I agree with some comments and disagree with others, but I thought that was the point of a forum. It would be a pretty dull place if we all agreed.

Nick Luff | 11 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for all the replies guys. I never thought my little question would generate such a discussion! I'm aware of the legalities and such like. I just wanted to know if anyone new where I could buy them from. According to the Ultegra section of the Shimano website they do supply a reflector attachment for my SPDs, (I assume they clip into the little red hole on the back of the pedal under the spring clip), but that's the only reference I can find. I can't seem to find any where that actually sells them. Other than contacting Shimano directly I think I may just buy a cheap set of pedals and swap them over. On a related matter, anyone know of anyone looking for a set of Shimano SPD-SL R106 shoes? White/Red, size 44, worn twice indoors on a turbo trainer. Due to the weird sizing Shimano use size 8s & 9s (42 & 43) are too small for my left foot (bracing for the Daniel Day-Lewis references!) but the 10s (44) are perfect on my left and too big for my right. Ended up buying a set of Specialized road shoes instead. Cost £99.99 new but willing to accept £75 or £70 if collected or postage paid by the buyer. Went on Gumtree with no interest though so not holding out much hope.

The Rumpo Kid | 11 years ago
0 likes

And I'm just the wise arse to do it! The original poster wanted to stay legal at night. All I did was point out what the the legal requirement was, and that contributory negligence could (not would) be cited by the type of sharp Lawyer who enjoys that sort of thing.

Stumps replied to The Rumpo Kid | 11 years ago
0 likes
The Rumpo Kid wrote:

And I'm just the wise arse to do it! The original poster wanted to stay legal at night. All I did was point out what the the legal requirement was, and that contributory negligence could (not would) be cited by the type of sharp Lawyer who enjoys that sort of thing.

Get off your high horse, i never mentioned you but if the boot fits as they say.

I pointed out that unless you are a complete arse then you will probably never get stopped by the cops. We are to busy dealing with would be lawyers (ie the general public who think they know best).

0 likes
stumps wrote:
The Rumpo Kid wrote:

Get off your high horse, i never mentioned you but if the boot fits as they say.

I pointed out that unless you are a complete arse then you will probably never get stopped by the cops. We are to busy dealing with would be lawyers (ie the general public who think they know best).

I see you have amended your original statement by adding the word "probably". And I don't ride a high horse. (Is that anything like a "Rode bike"?)

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Seriously pedal reflectors or the lack of them will never get you a ticket or a summons from the Police unless when you are stopped you are a complete arse with them.

However if you have lights on and are cycling correctly - ie - not bouncing up and down the pavements and in and out of traffic - then you wont get stopped.

No doubt so wise arse will come back at me with some comment.  13

PaulVWatts | 11 years ago
0 likes

Pedal reflectors the regulations

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/18/made

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/1/made

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/20/made

You need to read all three for the whole story.

You need to read the referenced British Standard to find out information like size etc.

The exceptions here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/4/made

Say that the the regulations concerning reflectors and lamps do NOT apply apply to pedal cycles between sunrise and sunset.

A more readable recent guide from the Department of transport can be found here

assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/pedal-cycles-lighting.pdf

Its worth reading if only for the the caveat at the end of the document.

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shimano do make a reflector which attaches to the underside of a spd-sl pedal, I got a pair with my 105 pedals from Merlin. They came trade packed in bags with the reflectors. I've not fitted them, as they go under the pedal and they seem just odd.
The SM PD58 Reflectors are what you want, various sellers in Germany and on ebay from a recent search. Failing that try Merlin or Ribble by email or on the phone, I think they might not be listed as an item, but they'll have them from the trade packs, if my experience holds true.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Found it! According to Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations SI 2010/198 Section 4(12) A pedal cycle "MUST" be "SOLD" with pedal reflectors. Unless Section 3(1)(d) it is sold for or intended for competitive events.... So as long as you intend to race no problem! Or if the bike is not used between sunrise and sunset. Cannot find anything that says you must have them fitted; the Highway Code is guidance only!

The Rumpo Kid replied to SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

Cannot find anything that says you must have them fitted; the Highway Code is guidance only!

Google "pedal reflectors legal" and see what you get. They are a legal requirement (at night, but I thought that went without saying).
The pedal bicycle safety regs are conditions imposed on retailers. They also say that every bicycle has to be sold with a bell!

andyp replied to SideBurn | 9 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

Found it! According to Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations SI 2010/198 Section 4(12) A pedal cycle "MUST" be "SOLD" with pedal reflectors. Unless Section 3(1)(d) it is sold for or intended for competitive events.... So as long as you intend to race no problem! Or if the bike is not used between sunrise and sunset. Cannot find anything that says you must have them fitted; the Highway Code is guidance only!

I wonder where, again, reality fits here. Most decent bikes are sold *without* pedals, hence without pedal reflectors...!

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am going to have to look this up, but, are there not exemptions for 'racing' bikes as regards reflectors etc? And my bike was built before 1985, but the only bit that is still the same is the handlebars? Might sound pedantic but have you ever heard 'legal' arguement?

Bob's Bikes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Now that we been informed that flouro yellow is (back) in fashion how soon before a pair of pedals comes out made entirely of reflector yellow. Thanks to The Rumpo Kid, I assumed the reflectors were only for viewing from behind

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

for the record:

highway code wrote:

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

so pedal reflectors are a legal requirement. although the highway code doesn't specify the positioning the law to which it refers (Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations) does:

RVLR wrote:

Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

So in the eyes of the law only four BS approved reflectors attached directly to the pedals is good enough. I've never heard of a defendant or insurer trying to claim contributory negligence because of a lack of pedal reflectors.

The Rumpo Kid replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

I've never heard of a defendant or insurer trying to claim contributory negligence because of a lack of pedal reflectors.

Nor have I. But I have heard of a defendant successfully claiming contributory negligence because a cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet. And that isn't a legal requirement at all. It's just that a good lawyer will try to shift the blame.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

As a cop i personally would never stop you for not having reflectors on your pedals, i'm not that sad  4

Thanks Gkam for finding that article, my brain is not yet grey matter if i could remember the article.

Jaltham | 11 years ago
0 likes

Personally I feel that because my pedals are clipless they are incomplete without the shoes attached, my shoes have reflective strips on them and so I feel that as a complete unit they are adequate!
Not sure what the legal perspective on that would be!

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

the new shimano light action SPDs have reflectors front and rear. granted that's no use if you're on SPD-SLs, but maybe more will follow

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not difficult if you use the search bar  3

http://road.cc/content/forum/44028-surrey-police-cyclists

I did remember something about it. But not where I had posted it.

But they are only useful for SPD double sided  3

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-adapter-with-reflector-sm-pd-...

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

There was a topic on the forum sometime ago about cops not having reflectors on their bike pedals. If i remember correctly someone stated where you could find them.

I appreciate its a needle in a haystack job but if you desperatley want them on your pedals its worth checking.

Comrade | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have some el-chepo road shoes, and decided to glue some reflective tape to the aft heel and toe part of each shoe. I use white ankle banks in the early morning/ dark. Simple and cheap. It works for me!

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I would go the way of the anklets, or stick scotchlite to you shoes or back of your tights. Reflectors tend to be difficult to see unless you pedal with your heels!!

Bob's Bikes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Take the reflector from a ordinary pedal and cut to fit, then superglue it to the back of the sprung clip part of pedal that will cover the legal aspect of a pedal reflector, but saying that it is not all that visible from the rear (assuming the car driver behind you is even looking) like others here have suggested reflective anklets are best (not cool but better than KSI)

The Rumpo Kid replied to Bob's Bikes | 11 years ago
0 likes
FATBEGGARONABIKE wrote:

Take the reflector from a ordinary pedal and cut to fit, then superglue it to the back of the sprung clip part of pedal that will cover the legal aspect of a pedal reflector, but saying that it is not all that visible from the rear (assuming the car driver behind you is even looking) like others here have suggested reflective anklets are best (not cool but better than KSI)

To be legal, pedals have to have reflectors fitted FRONT AND BACK. The DoT say that riders using reflective anklets instead would be "Unlikely" to be prosecuted.

Of course if you were in a collision, the other party might try "Contributory negligence"

Pages

Latest Comments