Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Bike - Bianchi/Cube/Scott/Ribble?

Hi,

Im looking at upgrading my bike in the next few months and I know a lot of people will ask the same question ‘What bike should I go for?’. Im just looking to see if anyone has experience of these bikes and any feedback.

I currently ride a Claud Butler Regent 2011 that has served me well and we have covered a few thousand miles together. Last weekend it did come off the car rack at 50mph and is in the shop having a check over. As yet not too sure if there is any geometry/frame issues. Anyway, Im pretty keen to keep onroad and do some tours/sportives with my new bike. I would like to do LEJOG or London to Paris in 24 hours, those kinds of events along with the usual one day events. It will also be used for the weekly club runs etc. I will use my Claud Bulter for commuting etc. My budget is between £1000 / £1500, maybe more if I can justify it but tops about £1.800.

Im pretty keen on getting a Bianchi, either the Via Nirone or Sempra, they look pretty cool and seem to have some pretty good components. However reading some reviews about it they were scoring 7/10. Other bikes on my radar are Ribble, Cube or Scott

Anyone any advice or other bikes to look at?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

AJWatson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well I have been out on a few of them and at the moment im waiting on the Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Xenon to arrive in my LBS. Only major difference from my current bike is the carbon forks and the campag gearing.

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

caad10. lighter than carbon, 1150g frame 410g fork (verified)

fast fun comfortable, buy the 2011 or 2012 model for a whopping discount. job done.

or giant defy again in 2011 / 2012 trim.

buuuut test ride! i had 2.5k budget, test rode loads of stunning expensive bikes,

ended up paying £899 for the 2011 105 version, put all the bits i wanted on, sold the stuff i removed. its now 7.2kg

Simon E replied to russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes
russyparkin wrote:

i had 2.5k budget, test rode loads of stunning expensive bikes,

ended up paying £899 for the 2011 105 version, put all the bits i wanted on, sold the stuff i removed. its now 7.2kg

Good value and impressively light! Nice one.

But that's enough teasing! I've seen the little photos in the pictures thread. We require detailed specs now please  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do believe Mr Fortsermann might just be able to flex the frame  3

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

LOL.

Absolutely love the 'photoshop'.

Still won't be swayed that aero bikes are just for pros.

It will increase your speed by whatever statistic you believe and more. They corner better, and are noticeably easier to push into a block headwind of anything over a force 2.

Not forgetting, the cervelo S1 is well renowned for its stiffness. I think someone once said that you'd need the quads of a shire horse to get any flex out of it.

I'd like to see the quads of the man who thinks its not stiff.

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes
"Raleigh" wrote:

Yep, in the same way that Anish Kapoor's orbit sculpture in the Olympic park is ugly

//www.peterjinman.com/images/orbit.jpg)

Doesn't really do it for me, although there is a touch of Moulton in there.

//road.cc/sites/default/files/Screen%20shot%202012-09-04%20at%2020.21.41.png)

Now add a slightly overweight middle-aged man riding in a distinctly un-aerodynamic position and re-run the wind-tunnel tests  1

p.s. I have a Ribble Sportive Bianco and it's a very nice bike for the money.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Andrew, there's no harm in checking out stock in both shops.

Hope you find something you like... no, something you love riding  1

AJWatson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys,

I have a good relationship with my LBS and they have said I can take some bikes out for some test rides, just let them know what Saturday and they will let me take them out. They have a good range of Bianchi, Trek and Giant. There is another one in town that does Scotts, Focus and Cube. Might try them at different shops then go back to the LBS and see what they can do and give them the business.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will let you know in a few weeks what I decide.

Andrew

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah.

Go to an independent bike shop, ask loads of long and annoying questions expecting them to give full answers, try every bike they have in there and drink some of their coffee which the offer you. Proceed to buy the bike online.

(don't actually do this)

Gkam84 replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Yeah.

Go to an independent bike shop, ask loads of long and annoying questions expecting them to give full answers, try every bike they have in there and drink some of their coffee which the offer you. Proceed to buy the bike online.

(don't actually do this)

DO IT

Its what I do, I normally buy some brake pads and inner tubes though.....

BUT, alot of independents will now try and match or at least help you out with the price of bikes if you can find it cheaper online. As long as they are making money off it. They will do their best to match the prices.

They know that if you buy a bike from them, you are more likely to buy parts and services from them in the future.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

And upload a picture to the Pictures of your Bike thread  4

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

There are no duff bikes these days, we are truly spoilt for choice. I'd take reviews with a pinch of salt. As regards brands, it doesn't matter what I think, what he/she thinks and what Fred from Outer Mongolia thinks. Here's what to do:

1. Visit some shops, have a look at a variety of makes & models.

2. Buy the one that fits you, and that you like best (ideally from a shop that also provides good customer service).

3. Ride your new bike with a big smile on your face, then log on and tell us about it - more than once if you're so inclined  3

Gkam84 replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

There are no duff bikes these days, we are truly spoilt for choice. I'd take reviews with a pinch of salt. As regards brands, it doesn't matter what I think, what he/she thinks and what Fred from Outer Mongolia thinks. Here's what to do:

1. Visit some shops, have a look at a variety of makes & models.

2. Buy the one that fits you, and that you like best (ideally from a shop that also provides good customer service).

3. Ride your new bike with a big smile on your face, then log on and tell us about it - more than once if you're so inclined  3

I do agree with that, Get out there and try them, Don't just buy from behind a computer screen.

BUT, What does Fred from Outer Mongolia actually think about this one?

I took his advice once and traded a bike for a Yak......Didn't help my training. But I sold it to Contador a couple of years ago  19  19

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and to get rid of road buzz, you could double up your bar tape.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just because the pro's use full carbon, does it mean its makes a normal cyclist ride like them? Its the same as going out and buying pro kit......

This is awesome nonsense, I love it!

But there's logic in going for alu if you're buying new at your price point. If you're going second hand though... the world is your oyster. You'll get a very decent carbon frame with at least ultegra and a decent set of wheels for the mid/top end of your budget.

What size are you after? I'm selling a Condor Baracchi at the moment, 58cm.

Ultimateweevil | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well AJ I have a Ribble New Sportive Racing and I've had her just over a year now and is my first road bike. I've probably done almost 1500 miles on her with a good mix of short 30 odd mile rides to longer 90 odd mile ones in both dry and wet conditions and I love it to a point!

I like the bike on the longer rides thanks to the slightly taller head tube giving you that little bit of comfort over more race orientated frames and it's a pretty decent climber with a compact group set on it. However my only gripe is on rough roads you can get a fair bit of road buzz through the frame (could be my tyres and/or pressures).

I have a full Campag Veloce group set on her plus Campag Khamsin wheels as these looked the best on a couple of other bikes I test rode before deciding on the Ribble since it was great value for money at my price range. I found similarly priced alu bikes from my two LBS's were pretty awful as you got a lot of road buzz through the frame regardless of the condition of the road.

I'd highly recommend it over a cheaper alu frame but I can totally see where a good high end alu frame would have it's merits over a lower grade carbon frame.

If you can get to test ride any of the ones your considering then I think that will help make up your mind as it will come down to how the bike feels for you rather than someone else's opinion as it's based on their experience of it.

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure the S1 is a good frame, but it's pretty ugly isn't it? Plus, I don't think an aero frame makes a blind bit of difference to the average amateur rider.

The OP mentions 'tours', so I'm guessing he wants something that can take a rack and panniers. What about a steel Condor Fratello? Could be specced with SRAM Apex, rack and mudguards for around £1400, then maybe purchase a lighter set of wheels for faster rides.

AJWatson replied to pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Pjay,

Not too fussed about it for Touring as I have my Claud Butler for that. Should I take this one on any toures it would be fully supported as most road bikes probably wouldnt take much weight on them for a long trip.

Raleigh replied to pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes
pjay wrote:

I'm sure the S1 is a good frame, but it's pretty ugly isn't it?

Yep, in the same way that Anish Kapoor's orbit sculpture in the Olympic park is ugly, or a Ferrari Enzo.

What a silly comment

Quote:

Plus, I don't think an aero frame makes a blind bit of difference to the average amateur rider.

Aerodynamics affect all cyclists the same, its not like the pros have much more or much less air resistance at different speeds.

It is at 15mph when over half of your energy is spent on beating air resistance, and as the formula for calculating air resistance has some squared in it (^2) that increases exponentially.

Don't get much clearer than this:

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Correct.

You have to buy it from an alternative dealer.

Elmy cycles of Ipswich do a deal, as do totalcycling.com and tri store.

Adey | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can vouch for the Via Nirone
Had mine just over a year now and still brings a smile to my face
Replaced the Vittoro's with Gators - the only thing that ive read about is other owners replacing the Mach 1 rims as they claim they are too heavy!!
I dunno - i can't really complain (they seem ok to me)
I also had the Campag geared model (my dad taught me well!!)  3
The geo could be so different to what you are used to though - try one first
They are also a beautiful looking bike!!  16
Good luck

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

For once, I agree in part with Raleigh. Go for top end aluminium over cheap carbon, Something with carbon forks. I don't like carbon stays though.

I have 9 upright bikes. None of which are all carbon, I believe the value is in the top alu with carbon forks.

Just because the pro's use full carbon, does it mean its makes a normal cyclist ride like them? Its the same as going out and buying pro kit......

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh yep, Canyon Ultimate AL.

Best value ones are with force or Ui2.

What fun you'll have trawling the internet.

Before you realise that there is only one bike you need/want.

S1

AJWatson replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Maybe im looking in the wrong place but I cant see they are still doing the S1?

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

Or buy a Stealth

Or a Sportive Bianco

Or a Grand Fondo

Choose between the Big Three, but if you want something classy, go for Campag (as I did)

My R872 (as the Stealth is now called) was faultless on the Exmouth Exodus - climbs and descends beautifully.

Or if you want to go high tech, Canyon are doing their excellent AL9 with Ultegra Di2 for around £1500

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

CERVELO CERVELO CERVELO

Why get rubbbbish carbon when you can get pro grade aluminium?

The S1 was used up until 2004 in the Pro Peleton, winning races like Paris Nice and Liege, whilst also being ridden over cobbles.

Frame - 799.99
Groupset - Sram starting from 350 off ribble
Wheels - Palnet X carbon R50's from 349.99
Finishing kit - 3T Arx Pro, Ergonova pro and Fizik Arione widely available for c. 120
Tyres - Schwalbe Ultremos starting from 20

Do it.

The slight weight penalty of the Aluminium will more than be made up for by the MASSIVE aerodynamic benefits.

Its THE cheapest way to get a bike properly developed in a wind tunnel and subsequently used by the pros.

Don't listen to what people say about comfort, tyre pressure, bar tape, saddle choice and short preference can make any bike much more comfortable.

Don't be blinded by carbon fibre, sure its great, but the Alu used in the Cervelo is a lot different to the stuff used in cheaper frames, this is the smartwall, true aero BIZ.

Also, the satisfaction of building your own bike is unmatched by anything else.

All aero bikes, Alu. and CF call the S1 'The Daddy.'

Bite the bullet.

Latest Comments