Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Emma Pooley Article in Telegraph

Spot on if you ask me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9515276/Emma-Pooley...

I went to the National RR this year and the start of the womens race was a shambles, the guy from BC Yorkshire saying "Hurry up girls, get organised" when he was at fault for making them wait at the wrong area etc.

Then during the RR the commentry was poor due to the location (The monks apparently wouldnt allow it during mass) but the knowledge of the riders was worse. Nikki Harris CX rider, based in Belgium most of the season spent most of the laps with Pooley, Armitstead and Laws. Commentator on one lap said "Nikki Harris is doing really well for a Cat 3 rider staying with the Elites"

Show these women some respect they bloody deserve it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know who she is and about her. But going from one type of racing to another. You normally get a lower Cat. So thats why I was asking if she was Cat 3 at the time.

The commentator must have done a little research  19 i.e looked at the start list, lol

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good interview by Pooley.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ok noted. I was going to ask how big the field was. But it was only 25 riders.

No real excuses. Wikipedia some noted the night before....Thats what I would have done.

After looking for the results, Good to see Sarah Storey finishing 5th  4

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

She was a Cat 3 rider at the time of the race yes, she isnt any more, she is now Cat 1 due to several decent finishes in some Premier Calender races she has done whilst over here. She is also National MTB XC Champion.

What is wrong with the commentry is the guy obviously hadnt done his homework and didnt know she was an Elite CX rider based in Belgium and pretty good and not just a Cat 3 rider getting a tow for a lap.

She had been on the front for 4 or 5 laps with the AA Drink girls, now, call me stupid, but what Cat 3 rider would do that after the 4 of them had dropped most of the main bunch within the first lap and a half and put minutes into them.

No doubt if it had been the Mens RR he would have, thus showing little respect for the Womens RR IMO.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is Nikki Harris not a Cat 3 rider?

You get that in mixed men's races aswell. So whats the problem with that kinda of commentary?  39

I like the article though.

Simon E replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Is Nikki Harris not a Cat 3 rider?

Not really. She's a top cyclo-cross racer, as already pointed out, riding for Telenet Fidea, one of the big teams in Belgian cyclo-cross (the epicentre of the sport). See http://www.nikkiharris.co.uk/

Here's Nikki, racing in West Midlands cyclo-cross league in 2011:

Nikki Harris

She finished 9th overall in the junior/vets/women's race that day, 17 places above the next best woman, Louise Robinson (herself no slouch). Unlike most of the others who had raced full tilt through the woods and up & down the grass banking for 40mins, she looked as fresh as a daisy afterwards. Lots more pics from the day here.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agreed

Latest Comments