Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Suggestions for the 2013 season

It's early, I know, but with the revival of the old suggestion thread it seems people are full of ideas on how they'd like the game to be "improved" next year!

Obviously, this is all stuff that we'd like to see, wishful thinking really, but road.cc and Dave have always listened to what people think and have implemented good suggestions in the past (regional leagues, premium membership, the removal of the varying player values etc) so if you've got an idea post it below. Think of this as the place to make your request/suggestion so that Dave can see it easily. Also, tell everyone what you think works too rather than just complaining!

Firstly off, I'd like to thank Dave for the game and strides they've made over the last few years to improve it into what is an excellent competition. I think that this years game is the best yet, the 4/5 split is a massive improvement over the old 1 GC, 1 AR ,1 KM, 1 PC and 5 DS split and allows for much more interesting team selections, likewise I think the constant rider values is something that should be kept next year as I haven't missed the old system at all.

My suggestions? Nothing major...

1) Remove the 4/5 split altogether - I'd be happy if the current system was kept but would like to see complete flexibility, the limited budgets will restrict players from having a particularly unbalanced team and it will allow for even more creative team selections, especially where there are lots of cheap stars in a race (like this years classics). For example, pretty much all the top Vuelta teams will still have 3 of Contador, Rodriguez, Froome and Valverde so the 150 credit cap will restrict the makeup of the rest of their team. However, I guess the 4/5 split does give structure and makes the game easier to get your head around when starting out (my dad really struggled when he joined for the TdF but the 4/5 split made things easier).

2) Expand on the premium membership with extra features such as combined purist team on the same account and stuff like that. I will probably pay for premium membership next year but I'd like to see some extra features being included for my money, not just extra races (which have been a bit shambolic this year and are very hard to follow).

3) Teams of teams - another possible premium feature, 9 players band together into one team of players, their scores are combined in some way (straight sum of scores, average of all 9 or maybe lose the highest and lowest and sum/average what's left) and they compete against other teams for a prize (Grand tours only maybe?). Should be fun and unpredictable, also, good for getting people to get involved on the forum.

4) Fantasy jersey competitions - another thing to aim for when playing the grand tours, a selection of jerseys awarded to winners of particular comps:
- a GC jersey awarded for whoever finishes 1st overall along with the bike, a black jersey possibly something road.cc themed.
- a points jersey based on sprint stages or combined sprint points, either whichever teams gets the most intermediate sprint and flat finish line points over a race or maybe whoever scores highest just on flat stages, based on intermediate sprints would keep it interesting throughout though as you have to keep up with breaks in the mountains.
- a mountains jersey like the points but for KoM points/mountain stages

ideally these would be biased to make it very difficult to win them whilst still playing for overall placing, ie base it heavily on breakaway points (the KoM in particular) so that you need to pick the breaks and possibly suffer in the overall as a result, that'd make it something entirely separate to aim for like the riders aim for the KoM comp sacrificing their overall standings. Moreover, these aren't big cost prizes and are just for fun/pride.

5) Reduce the penalty for making additional transfers. I like the fact that there is a penalty but 20 points is very heavy, you basically need to place in the top 4 to overcome that. 10 points might bring in more tactical use of this facility and not be so penal if someone cocks up their team and needs to sort it out.

That's mine, just to be going on with. Also, a booby prize for whoever first mentions the 'reset button'.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

198 comments

STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes

From reading the posts in this topic,my personal conclusion is this.....Some people have really sad lives...
This is a game that we all enjoy playing,so lets just play it....Its a work in progress game that doesnt have much wrong with it...Some people seem to want to make it easier all the time by changing the number of star riders etc....That will not change anything as the players who do their homework more thoroughly will still be at the top more often than not...Lady luck will always play its part in the game as the riders have to stay upright and have legs on the day...
Dave and co invented the game,so in my opinion its their right to tweek it how they want...It seems that some people want Dave and co to forget everything else in their working lives and just spend 24/7 on updating and changing the game...Personally I dont think this year has been any better than last year,if Im honest I think technical hitches mid-season have made it much worse...That said I will still be here next season,whatever the changes...After all we all play by the same rules,whatever they may be...Just enjoy it people and be thankful that we have it....

Stumps replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

From reading the posts in this topic,my personal conclusion is this.....Some people have really sad lives...
This is a game that we all enjoy playing,so lets just play it....Its a work in progress game that doesnt have much wrong with it...Some people seem to want to make it easier all the time by changing the number of star riders etc....That will not change anything as the players who do their homework more thoroughly will still be at the top more often than not...Lady luck will always play its part in the game as the riders have to stay upright and have legs on the day...
Dave and co invented the game,so in my opinion its their right to tweek it how they want...It seems that some people want Dave and co to forget everything else in their working lives and just spend 24/7 on updating and changing the game...Personally I dont think this year has been any better than last year,if Im honest I think technical hitches mid-season have made it much worse...That said I will still be here next season,whatever the changes...After all we all play by the same rules,whatever they may be...Just enjoy it people and be thankful that we have it....

Hear hear  41  41

I said this not long ago "if it aint broke dont try and fix it".

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think someone needs to go make their own game rather than trying to shape this one....to lets face it....their own ideas, which very few have agreed with  26

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

enrique - i think your slightly missing the point, its the same for everyone regardless of + 3 or - 3. We all have to pick our teams from the 150 points so you just have to do your maths and a little bit of homework on who is riding to get your best team, its as simple as that and if your relying on .3 or .4 for your team then you go back to the drawing board and start again.

enrique replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

... Some people seem to want to make it easier all the time by changing the number of star riders etc....That will not change anything as the players who do their homework more thoroughly will still be at the top more often than not...

Man, you're right...

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

... Dave and co invented the game,so in my opinion its their right to tweek it how they want......Just enjoy it people and be thankful that we have it....

I am thankful. I'm also obsessed about it... And I know people may not like my ideas, but I love how responsive Dave and company are... So I keep throwing out ideas I think of just to make it more fun, and sometimes more challenging. for me, not to make it easier per se...

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

... I dont think this year has been any better than last year...

I don't agree. I loved the new interface, the ease of transfers, the flexibility of not having to pick GC, KM, PC and AR's... I think it's much! much! better! Thanks, Dave!....

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

...Some people have really sad lives...

Man, you're right... No point hiding it...  1

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I think someone needs to go make their own game rather than trying to shape this one....

I wish I had the skills to do it!  1

enrique replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

enrique - i think your slightly missing the point, its the same for everyone regardless of + 3 or - 3. We all have to pick our teams from the 150 points so you just have to do your maths and a little bit of homework on... if your relying on .3 or .4 for your team then you go back to the drawing board and start again.

I get it, Stumpy, I do... I realize it'll be the same for everyone... It's just that having those riders below 3 points was something I really liked about last season... We had, if I counted right, 16 riders in the Giro below below 3 points, 8 in the Tour and 18 in the Vuelta, and I think it was fun having a bunch of no-namers, obscure riders that might get you breakaway points but also let you fit in bigger stars... I might miss it next year... But I can see your point...

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

... not sure i understand. the point of the 3 credit minimum is that there'll be no point picking greyed-out riders as there won't be any cheaper riders not participating. it could easily be 2.5, or 2, or whatever

What I mean is having riders at less than 3 sometimes lets you cram in another star... It was wonderful this year to have M. Astarloza and J. Moreno at 2.5 points , G. Izaguirre for 2.7, J. Barta and N. Quintana for 2.9 and so on, which let you fit in higher priced riders, so I'd like it if we had a few riders below 3 points in each competition...  1 Thanks!...

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Enrique, its simple though.

Say all 16 riders from the Giro were bumped to values of 3.

There will also be cheaper stars. There will be the few high stars at 40, but more lower priced stars and higher DS's. So if you can pick 5 x 3 it still leaves you an average of 33.75 for each star.

Take the top star at 40, still leaves you with 31.6 for each of the remaining 3 spots.

Plenty of room for all your riders within the 150 budget and to get the team you want. If you want the top guys, you have to sacrifice your DS chances  3

cgipryan replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

i don't think you're quite understanding how it would work. for a start the values will be based on a year of form to the date of the race, not just last year's race. And although the prices will be weighted according to what kind of stages are in the race, neither that nor the year's form will be a perfect indicator of race form. there'll still be bargains, and expensive flops.

Also, i'm not sure why you think that the riders most likely to win shouldn't be the most expensive? yes you could do okay just picking favourites, but it's not going to get you the win, and anyway you won't be able to just pick all the favourites because you'll run out of cash. the four most expensive stars for a race would likely use up all your budget.

I think I finally get your point. So, a question just to see if I did get it right. For example, Cav will have a value of 40 in the Tour of Quatar next year (based on a year of form and on the profile of ToQ). But afterwards, when we move to the classics, his value will drop on account of him only having realistic chances in say 2 classics (say Milan-San Remo, and maybe one of the smaller early races in Belgium). But, because he still retains pretty much the same one year of form that was used as a base in ToQ, his value will not drop for the classics from 40 credits to 5 or 7 credits, but will only drop, let's say, to 30 credits. Let me know if I got it right this time. Because if this is how you intend to change things, then I think it's ok.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

yeah, more or less like that i think  39

nickobec | 11 years ago
0 likes

Another question will the value be based on who else is in the race?

For example if Degenkolb was in the TdF this year facing Cav, Goss, Griepel, Sagan etc his value of 25 was fair

But in the Vuelta were the 2nd best sprinter was Bennati his value should of been close to 35, even given the sprint unfriendly parcours.

Liam Cahill replied to Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes
Wig_Billy wrote:

Everybody could have a 'palmarès' page, were any wins/podiums (stage or overall) are recorded for posterity.

Loving this idea  1

dave atkinson replied to nickobec | 11 years ago
0 likes
nickobec wrote:

Another question will the value be based on who else is in the race?

no. the values will be set for all riders. we'll be setting the values a month or so out, and we won't know who's riding. so it'll be the full roster of all the teams. do it any other way and you end up with changing values and that's a nightmare.

should mean there's a few bargains across the season for those in the know though, eh  39  3

STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The palmares idea would be a great addition....Not sure how much work that it would involve though....

0 likes
nickobec wrote:

Another question will the value be based on who else is in the race?... For example [,] if Degenkolb was in the TdF this year... his value of 25 was fair...

Good question!  1

Dave Atkinson wrote:

...no. the values will be set for all riders. we'll be setting the values a month or so out... it'll be the full roster of all the teams... should mean there's a few bargains across the season...

Ok, so the values will be set about a month out and, once they're posted, they won't change?... That's pretty cool!... We'll have a month to decide who to pick for a race with set values? That's pretty nice!...

Out of curiousity, will values be set by a computer? Meaning you'll have a database of last year's points and the points a rider gets next year and have a formula set up to spit out a number or will you guys be assigning rider values one by one each month?... Just curious...

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

No, you won't have a month to decide who to pick for your team.

The races wont open until near the race and once startlists have been confirmed, save changing around all the time.  3

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

... if you can pick 5 x 3 it still leaves you... [p]lenty of room for all your riders...

Yeah, you're right... I guess I'm maikng a fuss over 2.5 points... I used to think of 5 X 2.5 (12.5) when I wanted a lot of space for my Stars, but I guess the difference between 12.5 and 15 isn't all that much...  7

enrique replied to enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

... We'll have a month... with set values?...

Dave, what I mean is, hope I read right, that you're saying you'll post values - in the Riders section of a competition? or in the Pick Team section of a competition? - about a month out from a race and those values won't change, right? So even if there are roster changes for a race, once a rider's value is published for that race, it won't change, right?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You know when you quote someone, Its just rude to change what they wrote  26

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure Dave will clear it up, but they way I read it, we wont see any riders until that race has been opened to the players. So you won't be able to look at anything or pick a team until the race is opened. Maybe a few days before the race

Stumps replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I'm sure Dave will clear it up, but they way I read it, we wont see any riders until that race has been opened to the players. So you won't be able to look at anything or pick a team until the race is opened. Maybe a few days before the race

Or a few hours if the Tour Of Beijing was anything to go by  13

Only joking Dave, we know it wasn't your fault.  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah thats the race hosts fault. But most large tours/races in "civilised" countries have them sorted far sooner  3

0 likes

the races will open when we know which teams are participating and we have the stage information.

we'll aim to get them open four weeks or so before they start. that'll be with the full roster of participating teams, then we'll narrow it down. it won't always be possible to open them that early.

enrique wrote:

Out of curiousity, will values be set by a computer? Meaning you'll have a database of last year's points and the points a rider gets next year and have a formula set up to spit out a number or will you guys be assigning rider values one by one each month?... Just curious...

the values will be generated automatically based on a year's worth of historical data.

dave atkinson replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 11 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

The palmares idea would be a great addition....Not sure how much work that it would involve though....

that'll be happening for sure

0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

...the races will open when we know which teams are participating and we have the stage information... we'll aim to get them open four weeks or so before they start...

That's pretty cool, Dave...

Dave Atkinson wrote:

... the values will be generated automatically based on a year's worth of historical data.

That's pretty cool, too... Dave, so come December, we can take a peek at the rider values for the TDU? Is the formula(s?) you'll be using for the values something we can take a look at, too?...

cgipryan replied to enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes

21 Enrique wants to turn mathematical mastermind on us... I think he wants to check if we'll be able to buy Andy Schleck and Hushovd for 3 credits at the beginning of next year, based on their inexistent results this year...Oh my, will they be popular come spring time!

0 likes

certainly andy and thor aren't going to be super expensive...

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

On a different note Dave, when is a race calender likely to be released, on which races will be standard and which will be premium? leading to when will premium membership be due for the first premium race.

On another note also, has anything happened regarding the possibility of integrating having a standard team and a purist team under the same account, or was that ruled out?

dave atkinson replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

On a different note Dave, when is a race calender likely to be released, on which races will be standard and which will be premium? leading to when will premium membership be due for the first premium race.

On another note also, has anything happened regarding the possibility of integrating having a standard team and a purist team under the same account, or was that ruled out?

there's a lot of i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed in terms of calendar and premium  39

we're looking into the standard/purist thing but the main sticking point is not making the game overly complicated for people who just want to play one team. a work in progress.

Pages

Latest Comments