Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

sram and Shimano compatability

I have a sram apex 10 speed drive train on my road bike but need a new large 50T ring. Are chain rings from other drive train manufacturers compatible. There seem to be independents like FSA that are. The chains seem to be interchangable but I am not sure about the gear rings.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

peajaybee | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the help guys. Makes choosing a lot clearer.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

FSA make a lot of SRAM's chainsets anyway including the Apex one, so you're safe with them. any ten-speed ring should be fine, they all use the same tooth pitch

bigant | 11 years ago
0 likes

As far as I know Shimano and SRAM use same width chain so shimano compatible 10spd rings should be OK. Happily run FSA rings in the past, just got some TA industries ones which seem OK too.

If memory serves me correctly (but its a bit fuzzy due to mis-spent youth) Campy 10 speed chains are a bit narrower and hence so are the chainrings, also I think their standard rings are 135mm BCD rather than 130 of SRAM/Shimano. I assume as you are after a 50T ring yours are 110mm compact ones.

Disclaimer I may be spouting total b******t,  1

Latest Comments