Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacing a helmet after a crash

Hi people, apologies for not having done a google search but don't have time at the moment. It may be a stupid question but my wife was run down by a driver on her velo last week (still in Hospital with a nasty wound but miraculously nothing broken).

Is there advice from helmet manufacturers that following a crash where the head has hit the floor then the helmet should be replaced? Her head seems to have only lightly hit the floor as there is only a small mark but better to be safe than sorry. I know the motorcycle helmet manufacturers recomend that helmets are replaced after a crash so why not bicycle?

Need to know so I can claim on the house contents insurance and get her all sorted with new kit - thankfully she has not been put off by this despite only having had the bike 6 weeks which I bought for her 40th Birthday and which is now completely destroyed due to driver carrying on driving with the bike underneath the car for 12mtrs!!!! Reported for due care and careless with a recommendation from the police who attended that she is took on for dangerous driving once all witness statements have been taken....

Phew....time it took me to type that I could have probably answered my own question but hey ho  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

charlie bravo | 11 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks - again, very sensible answer and much as I thought

cannondalekid | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi everyone. I'm new to your forum. Found the link off Twitter and the helmet replacement question caught my eye. I agree that replacing it after a crash is good practice. In the US, the League of American Bicyclists recommends replacing helmets every 3 to 5 years depending on the use/abuse it receives. UV rays, hair products and sweat deteriorate the Styrofoam interior and can make it brittle and therefore subject to failure in minor bumps. I know that there are testing standards for helmets and each country has them I'm sure, so check for guides. In the US the Consumer Product Safety Council recommends and sets the standards for helmet tests. If your helmet has a dent in it however small, it might be compromised. Cheers to all and ride safe.

0 likes

I know, I tried one on and bought it immediately. Very good venting and like you say comfortable

onlyonediane | 11 years ago
0 likes

The mojito is comfortable and very light, would be a good choice.

0 likes

cheers guys - much as I thought. It's a Giro Monza but is a few years old now so don't expect they will do a reduced price. She likes the look of my Kask mojito so guess I will get her one of those - she likes the soft leatherette strap

Re claiming off house, I make the claim through contents, they then claim off other driver so there is no claim against my policy - if that makes sense

thanks again

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, general consensus from the manufacturer is that you replace a helmet after a crash. Regards getting your money back you should be able to get your money back from the driver's insurance rather than your house insurance. You may be able to get compensation as well. Hope you get everything sorted and more importantly your wife heals up quickly and is back on the road soon.

harvey1-8 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know some manufacturers do crash replacement.

I broke my Giro helmet last year in a crash and Madison (the distributor) replaced it for me at a reduced price: http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/

Might be worth checking out.

Latest Comments