Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2010 Litespeed Archon C3 Seatmast Cutting

Hi All,

This is my first post about my first road bike.....

I have just taken ownership of a very mint Litespeed Archon C3. It's the 2010 model that has an integrated seatmast and the FSA K-Wing clamp.

I need to shave 5mm off of the seat mast, but I can't get the alloy FSA clamp out of the seatmast in order to proceed with the cutting. I think it's seized in there....

I've called Evans who couldn't really help over the phone, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how I can get the clamp out of the mast. I've gently knocking it with a tea towel covered rubber hammer but I'm not having any luck.

Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

inkfingers | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

The magical penetrating oil that is Effetto Carbo Move is what saved my frame. Incredible stuff. It took nearly 24 hours to do the business but the clamp is out. It's not cheap, but worth it. I didn't need to take the bottom bracket out in the end. Just a few squirts down one of the bottle cage bolt holes with the bike upside down.

Anyone who finds themselves in a similar predicament with seized carbon components should look no further than Carbo Move. I was on the verge of binning the frame until someone brought the CM to my attention (thanks google).

Now, shall I tell the bike shop who advised me to pour cheap cola down the seat tube. Mugs.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Firstly: take it to a good local bike shop that you trust. better to spend some money getting them to free it than wreck the frame...

if you're determined to do it yourself there's lots of advice here:

www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

but not sure anything is directly relevant to your situation

i'd suggest removing the bottom bracket and pouring penetrating oil down the seat tube as a first resort, that might free up the clamp mechanism and you can't really break anything. also aluminium expands and contracts with heat/cooling, carbon is very stable. so it might be worth cooling the clamp area to see if you can make it contract away from the carbon, freeing it up. the easiest cooling trick is a bucket of ice (or ice and salt which will be colder); blasting it with co2 cannisters or using dry ice will give a greater cooling effect but it's a bit more risky.

Latest Comments