Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Purist Vuelta

Just thought I'd start a topic for discussing the options for purists ahead of the year's final grand tour.

Going by the Giro the top scorers were J-Rod and Hesjedal by a mile who went after the Maglia Rosa early and kept up the fight till the very end, the likes of De Gendt only got going towards the end and didn't score nearly as heavily. Other than Cavendish it wasn't worth having any sprinter as they were all outscored by the likes of Uran and Henao with solid, but unspectacular, totals. Pozzovivo came out on top in the DS stakes through sticking with the GC guys for most of the race although Tiralongo was worth a pick early on.

For the Tour the sprinter's scored more heavily and Sagan in particular was a must have with 550 points. Gripel and Goss also scored well but the real stars were Froome and Wiggins who's time trial heroics got them a tidy haul of points backed up by solid mountain finishes to see them finish on 367 and 475 respectively, well ahead of Evans, Nibali and TJvG who all came out with roughly 300 points a piece. Voeckler also scored in the same region and Pinot was by far and away the highest scoring DS.

Plans for the Vuelta? Stick to the climbers, there are less flat stages for sprinters and more summit finishes for the big climbers. I think like the Giro a couple of contenders will go for the lead early, Rodriguez and Cobo maybe, and look to hold off Contador and Froome. Contador is an enigma as he may be anonymous over the first week or two and look to ride into some form, that might work for the win but won't bag lots of fantasy points.

So, who do you think are the must have's? Who's going to get points on the board early and try to keep it up and who's going to coast under the radar before making a late, De Gendt-esque, charge for the line?

Also, will you be picking Uran/Henao for your team given that Froome is clearly the favoured rider or is Henao worth a punt as a cheap rider with the potential to keep up with the lead group?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

38 comments

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

With going away on sat i will be starting on purist and see how it goes. The first week is lacking in any real sprints with a couple of hefty climbs and uphill finishes so picked my team accordingly.

Decided not to go for Swift as it meant missing out on either Froome or Henao.

Christopher Froome
Joaquin Rodriguez
Sergio Luis Henao
Thomas de Gendt
Jonathan Castroviejo
Rinaldo Nocentini
Nairo Quintana
Stef Clement
Dario Cataldo

I will no doubt tinker with it prior to going away.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I nearly went that way Gkam but was worried about losing out on the points of Froome/Rodriguez/Contador... In this year's grand tours the top scorers overall have all been really high value riders, J-Rod in the Giro, Sagan and Wiggins in the Tour.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have 5 of drheaton's but only 3 of TER's on my transfer team.

But pursuit team is surprising. Its quite balanced, no-one above 30 or below 9  4

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well based on swifts sprinting at the TdP im hoping he can do well and get some stage wins. In effect i decided to go with swift and then 2 expensive DS contendors rather than have another expensive star and a couple of cheap DS's

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cataldo, Tiralongo, Machado and Talanksky are the four expensive climbers I want in my team but can't afford unless I juggle some things around. Even then if I want Conta-dope I can only have one of them.

Swift is an interesting call, you hoping for stage wins or bonus points from Froome?

Also, I lied, I have Bouhanni too  19

0 likes

I meant Vuelta, it was after reading your post I got Giro into my head

Your purist team has 5 the same as mine

OK mine was here

you've all had time to see it now  19

now i may make changes, i may not, who knows

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think it may be a bit late to be picking your Giro team...  19

Cards on the table, my current team looks like

Contador
Rodriguez
Froome
De Gendt
Bouhanni
Cheng
Quintana
Rasilla
Landa
Lobato

Basically, climbing stars and breakaway DSs. I'm not happy with it though and will probably make some changes before the deadline. May bring in Viviani for De Gendt (as Viviani is cheap and could go well in the sprints wheareas De Gendt may not score well consistently) and bump up DSs to proper climbers.

0 likes

Well ive just picked a Giro team and 3 of my star DS's are on the climbing side, with just 1 sprinter. As for my DS's ive gone for two that could be GC contendors, a breakaway guy, another sprinter and a guy who could do well or could do nothing

Pages

Latest Comments