Replacing bar tape

by notfastenough   August 13, 2012  

Hi, I bought some nice new tape at the weekend, and when I started to remove the current stuff, it's so sticky that it has left chunks still on the bars. Any tips for something that will lift the remnants off? Would white spirit do it?

Also, I forgot that black insulation tape had been used underneath to hold the cables in place - presumably anything capable of lifting the glue under the bar tape would also lift the insulation tape? I'd rather not bother replacing that if I can help it.

10 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

pick away at the lumpy chunks with your fingernail and then have a go at the rest with nail varnish remover, the electrical tape will be okay

posted by VecchioJo [753 posts]
13th August 2012 - 12:32

0 Likes

Generally I find meths also cleans it up, and is a bit less agressive than nail varnish remover.

posted by thereandbackagain [155 posts]
13th August 2012 - 12:54

0 Likes

oh, and lighter fluid can work as well, everyone has lighter fluid in the house, right?
Confused

i mostly end up using a mix of whatever solvents are available under the kitchen sink

13th August 2012 - 12:58

0 Likes

VecchioJo wrote:
oh, and lighter fluid can work as well, everyone has lighter fluid in the house, right?
Confused

i mostly end up using a mix of whatever solvents are available under the kitchen sink

And having used this approach of mixing various chemicals, do you still have a bike? Do you even have eyebrows? Devil

Cheers for the info guys, now need to get it sorted before the Wednesday club run.

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3329 posts]
13th August 2012 - 14:15

0 Likes

notfastenough wrote:
And having used this approach of mixing various chemicals, do you still have a bike? Do you even have eyebrows?

yes, and i now have a large pink rabbit, with yellow spots, that only i can see

13th August 2012 - 14:29

0 Likes

Had something similar myself last week, was a right bugger until I used methylated spirit. Worked a treat.

posted by Darthshearer [141 posts]
13th August 2012 - 15:25

0 Likes

Anything solvent really. White spirit is great. Stick some in a spray bottle and it works a treat. Just dont get any on your bearings.

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing..."

Cooks's picture

posted by Cooks [491 posts]
13th August 2012 - 17:01

0 Likes

Lighter Fluid +1 Wink

Other than that, petrol or meths works a treat.

As said above, go under your kitchen sick, get everything thats "harmful" and "toxic" mix it all in a bottle, put on some rubber gloves and bobs your mothers brother Big Grin

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8941 posts]
13th August 2012 - 18:24

0 Likes

Tried that one gkam. Stopped when the bottle started to smoke!!

giff77's picture

posted by giff77 [1059 posts]
14th August 2012 - 10:22

1 Like

Gkam84 wrote:
Lighter Fluid +1 Wink

Other than that, petrol or meths works a treat.

As said above, go under your kitchen sick, get everything thats "harmful" and "toxic" mix it all in a bottle, put on some rubber gloves and bobs your mothers brother Big Grin

Swiftly followed by a puddle of carbon fibre!

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3329 posts]
14th August 2012 - 12:20

0 Likes