Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacing bar tape

Hi, I bought some nice new tape at the weekend, and when I started to remove the current stuff, it's so sticky that it has left chunks still on the bars. Any tips for something that will lift the remnants off? Would white spirit do it?

Also, I forgot that black insulation tape had been used underneath to hold the cables in place - presumably anything capable of lifting the glue under the bar tape would also lift the insulation tape? I'd rather not bother replacing that if I can help it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Tried that one gkam. Stopped when the bottle started to smoke!!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lighter Fluid +1  3

Other than that, petrol or meths works a treat.

As said above, go under your kitchen sick, get everything thats "harmful" and "toxic" mix it all in a bottle, put on some rubber gloves and bobs your mothers brother  4

notfastenough replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Lighter Fluid +1  3

Other than that, petrol or meths works a treat.

As said above, go under your kitchen sick, get everything thats "harmful" and "toxic" mix it all in a bottle, put on some rubber gloves and bobs your mothers brother  4

Swiftly followed by a puddle of carbon fibre!

Cooks | 11 years ago
0 likes

Anything solvent really. White spirit is great. Stick some in a spray bottle and it works a treat. Just dont get any on your bearings.

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Had something similar myself last week, was a right bugger until I used methylated spirit. Worked a treat.

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

oh, and lighter fluid can work as well, everyone has lighter fluid in the house, right?

i mostly end up using a mix of whatever solvents are available under the kitchen sink

notfastenough replied to VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes
VecchioJo wrote:

oh, and lighter fluid can work as well, everyone has lighter fluid in the house, right?

i mostly end up using a mix of whatever solvents are available under the kitchen sink

And having used this approach of mixing various chemicals, do you still have a bike? Do you even have eyebrows?  19

Cheers for the info guys, now need to get it sorted before the Wednesday club run.

VecchioJo replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

And having used this approach of mixing various chemicals, do you still have a bike? Do you even have eyebrows?

yes, and i now have a large pink rabbit, with yellow spots, that only i can see

thereandbackagain | 11 years ago
0 likes

Generally I find meths also cleans it up, and is a bit less agressive than nail varnish remover.

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

pick away at the lumpy chunks with your fingernail and then have a go at the rest with nail varnish remover, the electrical tape will be okay

Latest Comments