Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aero road helmet

I want an aero helmet for road racing, and pretty much have three choices:

Lazer (sphere, o2, genesis, helium)
Giro Air Attack
Kask Mojito

Does anyone know when the Giro or Kask are coming out?

Is it worth it?

I only came across Lazer today, so not sure if they are good, anyone have one?

Cheerios.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

No, it was your comment about riding with no helmet.

How do you think Gerard Vroomen started?

With a Chemistry degree?

I THINK NOT.

Clearly, he started by clingfilming his equipment.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I hope Specialized, Cervelo etc. get behind the movement with Garmin and some other teams to form a breakaway league, not bound by the frankly stupid restrictions of the Union Cycliste Internationale.

They could use it as a shop window, and develop bicycles and equipment naturally, without the "Technological Gatekeeper," that is UCI.

The only problem would be securing good races, ie. the grand tours.

Does the UCI regulate television contracts?

OOOOOOOO

Just had a revelation (its probably been had).

If cycling was broadcast on SKY, Murdoch could pay the race organisers to ensure racing take place, and the teams would get craploads more money than I imagine they get from Eurosport now.

Bikes would become more advanced, and never again could the UCI meddle in business that they frankly shouldn't be (ie Anti Doping).

AHHHHH

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

What I used that window stuff, and melted it onto a helmet.

That wouldn't compromise safety would it?

Paul J replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Subjecting your plastic helmet to the heat of melted plastic? What do you think?

(And if your issue with my "when not racing, then why bother?" comment was because it dares to question the sacred UK roadie faith in the safety powers of the plastic head talisman, then I find it highly ironic you also can be happy to melt yours just for some pretty much immeasurable saving in aerodynamic drag ☺. PS: If it's about "looking pro", check out Tom Boonen http://road.cc/content/news/48221-tom-boonen-joins-roadcc-users-popping-...).

Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh, if you're wanting to race, my understanding is that helmet "covers" are not UCI legal anymore, nor are any "modifications" to a helmet. So if you turn up to a race with your home-brew, gaffer-taped aero-road helmet a commissaire can potentially get snotty about it. So better bring a spare helmet. E.g. see:

http://inrng.com/2012/03/uci-rules-regulation-bikes-clothing/

If you're not racing, then why on earth bother about this? (Indeed, why bother with the helmet in the first place? Just leave more room to fellow riders, slow down a bit when you see cars waiting to join from a junction, brake a bit earlier, and enjoy the breeze - much safer & more enjoyable, but I digress…)

Raleigh replied to Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes
Paul wrote:

(Indeed, why bother with the helmet in the first place? )

I no longer regard any of your comments with respect.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

They wear different helmets in the mountains which have vents.

koko56 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do wonder though - how do the sky helmuts work? Surely the vent closures must be some super awesome fabric that only "closes up" at speeds higher than X and stays open other times? How would it feel otherwise when you are churning out crazy watts up a mountain in TDF?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ah so its all to put it into your mind that you are better than you think and to put into your competition that you are better then them??  19

I'd just get one of Sweden's helmets used in the TT at the Olympics then  3 Or did you see the closing ceremony last night? The Pet Shop Boys riders??

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah man.

I'll try on one of my helmets tomorrow, probably cling film, then hairdryer.

The one above was made by filling the gaps with card and then PUMPING the black leccy tape on.

Hard to believe though (triathlete).

The back vents are of course left open.

What I'm really after is something that gives me such a psychological benefit that I am able to churn out sub 20 minute 10s on a road setup.

While looking not unlike a bauss.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is that a homebrew aero road helmet?  19

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Are there any stats on exactly how much benefit something like that is supposed to give or are you just after marginal gains?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

What about this, saw it on a Tri forum.

(eurgh)

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm with Paul J on this and they don't look kool, thats why I suggested the Kask Bambino  19

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, but they look kool.

And I'm a kool kid.

Paul J | 11 years ago
0 likes

What exactly is the point of having a helmet that has the gaps of a vented, road helmet but without the actual vents? Almost all the un-aeroness of a vented helmet, with all the heat issues of an aero helmet. Why not just buy a smooth-shell helmet, if you want something aero?

These have to be the dumbest helmets ever, functionally.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, take the hair dryer to it then do a couple more layers. If you stick with it you could layer it up enough to make a semi rigid covering you can remove.

Alternatively, just duck tape over your vents.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wheyy, got this:

Quote:

Many thanks for your e-mail to Team Sky.

We will try and address your feedback as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Turner

Looks promising!

Also, very pleased with the turnaround time.

Fingers crossed!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I wanted to have a little go at aeroising a helmet, so I wrapped up my sister's friend's one in Cling film.

Looks OK, but not sure at how well it would hold on, or if it would just stretch and go billowy.

Should I take a hairdryer to it?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you're signed up to the Sky newsletters every now and again you get emails letting you know they're selling off old kit. Mainly their 2011 bikes like GT's 2011 Dogma for £3k or Zandio's Graal TT bike and some old pedals and stuff. Not seen any helmets or other stuff so I assume they either bin them or send'em back to the manufacturer.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

That's weird.

I went to their contact thing, and sent one under "Replica Kit enquiries."

Hmm.

Also, quite hard to fit all that into 200 characters, had to use my Tweeting skills and get rid of some punctuation.  1

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

OK.

Worth a try  1

step-hent | 11 years ago
0 likes

The Lazer ones are here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=65993

Can't seem to dig anything up on the Kask covers, except a couple of news reports that Sky used them before they seemed to have the filled in helmet made. Maybe you should email Sky to ask if they want to sell you one...

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can't find nuthin  7

step-hent | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh, I see that the Lazer ones are all available as normal helments with covers - probably better than an aero helmet, to give you more options on warm days...

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure if its just a shell, or an actual whole helmet, so I emailed KASK, but wanted to know if any of you guyzzz knew.

Lazer looks good, but is expense  22

step-hent replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

I'm not sure if its just a shell, or an actual whole helmet, so I emailed KASK, but wanted to know if any of you guyzzz knew.

Lazer looks good, but is expense  22

It's an aero helmet - there was a cover, but the UCI won't allow it to be used at it's an aerodynamic fairing. For it to be allowed, the cover had to be part of the structure.

That said, you might be able to find an aero cover (as I think they made them before the UCI ruled them out). Might be worth looking around.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Pfff.

If I wore that, I'd probably get beaten up.

I want the aero mojito, comme suit:

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The Giro is set to come out in spring 2013, BUT its FUGLY, looks like a kids old skool skateboard helmet  3

The Kask Mojito is out
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kask-mojito-road-helmet-2012/

Omega Pharma use Lazer's don't they? That cant be all that bad  3

What about the Kask Bambino?  19

Latest Comments