Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Mark Cavendish

Ok, So if you have been around the forum's any amount of time, you'll have seen me express my views on him a number of times. Its fair to say, I am not his biggest fan and didn't really like him much at all.

It wasn't much to do with his cycling skills, which are about the best amongst the top sprinters. It was more based on his boring interviews, voice and just him in general when not sitting in the saddle.

2012 has brought a change for me. Firstly because of his little outburst at the interviewer who asked him about being tired after the TdF. Quite a good come back from him.

BUT, more because of him sitting in the box at the velodrome and talking about track cycling (which he knows a fair bit about). The first night of the track, he said about five words and looks very nervous and came across as his normal boring self. I thought, oh no, here we go.

Since then, he's been on great form and come out of his shell so much. A new found respect for him from me. I will probably never be his biggest fan, but I'm coming round to him slightly.

Just thought I'd make that public as I knew a few on here think I hate him with a passion  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Saintyl | 11 years ago
0 likes

And look at how succesful those footballers were!!  22

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

It wouldn't bother me if he bought a pink elephant which could dance the lambada and make a mean G&T. He's paid to do a job and generally does it brilliantly. As notfastenough says, if you compare him with a footballer in terms of ratio of salary to effort put in, he would be a relative bargain

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good on him. He admitted in an interview I read that he is paid more than the average premiership footballer, but the effort and sacrifices these guys make dwarf anything a footballer does, and Cav in particuar is far from average.

nick h. | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mark has many plus points but in a recent interview he revealed he owns five cars and has a £170,000 McLaren MP4 on order. I'm not so sure about him now.

koko56 replied to nick h. | 11 years ago
0 likes
nick h. wrote:

Mark has many plus points but in a recent interview he revealed he owns five cars and has a £170,000 McLaren MP4 on order. I'm not so sure about him now.

jealous much?

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mark Cavendish is anything but a boring interviewee (and I've had to endure plenty of the latter in my time, both in person and second hand).

Intelligent, articulate, provides great insight into exactly what makes a pro cyclist of his calibre tick and how the sport works.

Yeah, he can be short with journos who ask what he thinks is a dumb question... not a mistake you ever make twice  3

Simon E replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

Mark Cavendish is anything but a boring interviewee (and I've had to endure plenty of the latter in my time, both in person and second hand).

Intelligent, articulate, provides great insight into exactly what makes a pro cyclist of his calibre tick and how the sport works.

Yeah, he can be short with journos who ask what he thinks is a dumb question... not a mistake you ever make twice  3

That is my impression also (though I can't claim to have interviewed him myself).

I think we can all fall into the trap of wanting our 'heroes' to behave in a certain way and are disappointed when they don't. For a while I considered him a touch irritating and a mouthy young fellow. His childish two-fingered gesture at the Tour of Romandie in 2010 was particularly disappointing.

However, he has matured rapidly. Now, when an interviewer goes beyond asking the obvious questions, and when he has space to talk at length, his passion and detailed knowledge shine through. Of all the cyclists that interest me he is the one with whom I'd most want to talk about cycling because I suspect he would repay my keen interest with far more detail and depth than I could handle.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

With his sprint power and stamina to do 3 week tours. Does anyone else think like me that the omnium would be the race for him?  39

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

He wont be at Sky next season, simples.

Karbon Kev | 11 years ago
0 likes

I haven't changed opinion of him, still a twat imo .... with not a clue in front of the camera ..

Chris S replied to Karbon Kev | 11 years ago
0 likes

If he's such a twat, why not challenge him to a couple of hundred k's bike race?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't think Cav would have to take a full year out, just work on his TTing/Prologue speed a bit over the next few years and then possibly take half a year (including the TdF) off before the Olympics. Geraint Thomas was riding on the road up to the Giro really and taking it seriously but also fitting in World Cup events and the World Champs around his Team Sky schedule.

That would be the major benefit of staying at Sky, being able to work his race schedule around his track aspirations.

31 isn't that old either, Ed Clancy would be that old in Rio and Wiggins would be 35. Wiggins in particular if he keeps his TT form up would be able to walk a place in the team pursuit squad. He's been quoted in the past as comparing his time out from the road when's been doing track work as similar to a holiday compared to his normal workload.

0 likes

Oh and another thing.

I really dont think he will be in Rio. I think he has got caught up in the emotion and love of it. Cav is an emotional guy afterall.

If he was to ride team pursuit he would have to have almost a year out of the peloton, that doesnt work for me. He has too many records to be chasing and going for and in 4 years time, well, he is 4 years older (i.e 31), which means potentially;

Tour de France:- If he has a year out he could be only a couple of stage wins behind Eddy Mercx record. If he is to move to OPQS then this may not be bad. If he is at Sky (which i highly doubt) then that 1 seaosn in 2016 could be crucial.

Giro d'Italia:- The won points jersey eluding him to join an exclusive club.

Vuelta:- Not really his priority, but, given his respect for GT's if entered could potentially be up there with Jalabert & Kelly (although I doubt it)

MsR:- Multiple winner? I certainly think he can be.

GW:- Again, can he take it?

4 years is a long time in cycling but to overtake the Cannibal for stages at the Tour is something! I just cant see him taking a year out if the record is close.

I know the missing Olympic medal hurts him, but I think Tour stages would hurt him more.

0 likes

His co-presenting has been class. More relaxed and really enthusiastic and funny.

Love the guy.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've never been particularly anti-Cav but I think he's really added something to the track cycling coverage, in particular I love his explanations of the races:

Jake: Mark, explain the elimination race to the viewers
Mark: Well, it's a race where people get eliminated...

Class.

If he manages to force his way into the Pursuit squad for Rio and gets a gold he's probably got a decent post-racing career as an expert on the TV a'la Boardman.

colhum1 replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I've never been particularly anti-Cav but I think he's really added something to the track cycling coverage, in particular I love his explanations of the races:

Jake: Mark, explain the elimination race to the viewers
Mark: Well, it's a race where people get eliminated...

Class.

If he manages to force his way into the Pursuit squad for Rio and gets a gold he's probably got a decent post-racing career as an expert on the TV a'la Boardman.

Don't forget......

Jake: Well Mark...That's it over for Varnish..really disappointing but she can come back in 4 years and do it next time....

Mark: Didn't work out for me did it....

Jake: Oops, no, sorry Mark.

Brilliant

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Same.
He changed for me after he won at Champs Elysees.

I used to think he was a bit "meh", but after that, he's actually SICK.

Can't wait to see him in the TP squad for Rio.

Latest Comments