Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Poor Hugh Porter

Can anyone teach Hugh Porter that Venezuela is pronounced Venezuela and not Venenzuela?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

brian_the_snail | 8 years ago
0 likes

Porter wasn't sacked from the BBC because of ageism, it was because he is brutally bad. Some of the comments he comes out with makes you wonder if he ever was a cyclist which clearly couldn't be further from the truth. He mis-pronounces every other pro cyclist name, can't get his facts right, exaggerates the commentary as if he is going into a frenzy and constantly spouts out the same drivel like "the crowd is going ballistic" (even when there are only a few spectators clapping at the side of the road) and some may find his voice completely irritating. Live cycling has moved on in the last 20 years from virtually nothing on TV to an absolute bucket load and so has the cycling commentary. Some appear to still like them but even Liggett and Sherwen should call it a day although they are nowhere near as bad as Porter who in my view is the worst sports commentator not just in cycling.

KirinChris replied to brian_the_snail | 8 years ago
0 likes
brian_the_snail wrote:

Porter wasn't sacked from the BBC because of ageism, it was because he is brutally bad. Some of the comments he comes out with makes you wonder if he ever was a cyclist which clearly couldn't be further from the truth. He mis-pronounces every other pro cyclist name, can't get his facts right, exaggerates the commentary as if he is going into a frenzy and constantly spouts out the same drivel like "the crowd is going ballistic" (even when there are only a few spectators clapping at the side of the road) and some may find his voice completely irritating. Live cycling has moved on in the last 20 years from virtually nothing on TV to an absolute bucket load and so has the cycling commentary. Some appear to still like them but even Liggett and Sherwen should call it a day although they are nowhere near as bad as Porter who in my view is the worst sports commentator not just in cycling.

Three years to comment.  45  45  36

Certainly living up to your user name.

Grannycog | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, but comments about the brilliant Hugh are sounding just a tinssy bit ageist; Younger commentators make little mistakes now and then but they don't get attacked like this. Save your bile for the bland faces fronting up BBC3 Olympic coverage and Shirley Robertson's grating voice at Weymouth.

technojim | 11 years ago
0 likes

He's as bad as Jamie redknapp in the football for abusing the word "literally"

The velodrome is literally rocking, kenny is literally on fire....

Maybe it's pedantic but it bugs me even more than mispronunciation and confusion.

cat1commuter | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't object too strongly to Porter, but at the last Revolution races I went to at the Manchester Velodrome he was on the PA at about 120 dB, which I did hate!

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Whilst I agree Porter has been fantastic in the passed, he does need to retire.

The people who are syaing he should stay just because he is an institution need to let go, come on, let him go out when he has his marbles.

The most embarrasing part was him persistantly calling the Netherlands, Holland in the Womens road race.

Iamnot Wiggins replied to Darthshearer | 8 years ago
0 likes
Darthshearer wrote:

Whilst I agree Porter has been fantastic in the passed

Late to the party here as I wasn't a member in 2012 but how can you all pass comment on pronunciation from Porter and then let this monstrosity go?!

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

So, quick count up ....

Hugh to retire gracefully: 15
Hugh to get hung, drawn and quartered: 3
Hugh to keep going until all his marbles roll away: 2
Hugh for Prime Minister:  13

Mostyn | 11 years ago
0 likes

He is a pain to listen to, His voice really gets on my nerves!

robcrow | 11 years ago
0 likes

cant watch cycling on bbc or itv,there coverage is so poor,dont really understand why anyone would choose to do so when we have top rate coverage of our sport on eurosport.

fred22 replied to robcrow | 11 years ago
0 likes
robcrow wrote:

cant watch cycling on bbc or itv,there coverage is so poor,dont really understand why anyone would choose to do so when we have top rate coverage of our sport on eurosport.

Cos we're not all willing or able to pay lots of money for sky or cable?

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

...and Hugh's sticking with VeneNzuela. I've written to their ambassador to apologise and ask if they mind changing the name of their pround nation  44  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

He's awful, but I do like his voice for covering the cycling, I suppose its just what I've grown up with. Like watching the TdF on C4 when I was younger.

Snooker was the same, its just not right without Ted Lowe

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Argh, he's just getting worse......SHUT YOUR MOUTH and wait for the computer to tell you and stop guessing it.

Spouting that Hansen won the points race, lets total everything......blah blah blah, Oh Kluge won it......DUH, even I knew that and was shouting at him, It came up on the TV, so he must have had it on computer  14  14  14

Stumps replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Argh, he's just getting worse......SHUT YOUR MOUTH and wait for the computer to tell you and stop guessing it.

Spouting that Hansen won the points race, lets total everything......blah blah blah, Oh Kluge won it......DUH, even I knew that and was shouting at him, It came up on the TV, so he must have had it on computer  14  14  14

Ok i will take back my last entry, he was bloody awfull  40  40

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Porter - cycling
Walker - f1
Stu Hall (its a knockout)- footie

Without them it would be like a "carry on" film without Sid James. They are an institution and we should be proud of them  21  21  21  21

stefv | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm quite enjoying it. Makes me laugh.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

the Beebs commentary pains me. Given the option I'll always go for Eurosport.

ps did no-one else notice the very dodgy last change in the mens TP by GB? (obviously poor Hugh didn't!)

RhysW | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hugh is great!! In fact some more sports could do with a bit of Hugh and he works really well with Chris.

Ligget and Sherwin make similar mistakes in Tour coverage - they are often comentating on Tour Radio and a TV Monitor, not the easiest thing one guesses!

Just look at F1 commentary without Murray - it's not the same

veseunr replied to RhysW | 11 years ago
0 likes
RhysW wrote:

Just look at F1 commentary without Murray - it's not the same

I agree; it is now correct, accurate and much better!!

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

No Hugh, Judith Arndt's silver medal came in TT not road race ..... he's worse than my Grandpa!!

He did correct himself eventually (probably after a nudge from CB)

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know I was being critical but I think the data they are receiving isn't doing them any favours either.

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

He made a bit of a mess of the men's road race but his track coverage has been fine. Let's not get too picky.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah he's been poor, but he's normally ok with the track stuff, he'll come good, just getting a little excited I think and Boardman aint doing much better.....

Who used to be with Porter? It used to be great.

mattbibbings | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ok, I stand corrected on that example but I still think he is poor on his details at the moment.

I do have a huge soft spot for Hughs voice, I have grown up listening to his commentary all my life and in many ways he is a true voice of cycling. So it pains me to say I have noticed a definate decline in the quality of his commentary this Olympics.

mattbibbings | 11 years ago
0 likes

I hate to say it as I have a great respect for Hugh Porter but he is making just a ton of little mistakes in his commentary during this Olympics. I have not exactly been keeping a record (because I am a cycling geek, but not that much!)but he has a few clangers too many.

An example that springs to mind he commented during the Team Pursuit qualifiers that Geraint Thomas had great form after the Tour De France!

More annoying though is the BBC not showing the British teams in the first laps of the track coverage tonight.

Gkam84 replied to mattbibbings | 11 years ago
0 likes
mattbibbings wrote:

An example that springs to mind he commented during the Team Pursuit qualifiers that Geraint Thomas had great form after the Tour De France!

Now I am a geek and that much.

That's not what he said.....

He said that GT is a great rider having finished the TdF in the past. Not that he's just in great for after the TdF  3  3

drheaton replied to mattbibbings | 11 years ago
0 likes
mattbibbings wrote:

More annoying though is the BBC not showing the British teams in the first laps of the track coverage tonight.

That's not the BBC, that's the Olympic Broadcasting Service who provide all the tv pictures to all the tv companies showing the Olympics. It was the same with the road race, the BBC get whatever they're given.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

He was calling Gesink 'Geese-ink' during the Road Race. It's almost like giving my granddad a list of cycling terms and having him read them out.

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

He said that in the TT yesterday too, Boardman didn't exactly correct him but immediately used the word with correct pronunciation next time he spoke, preceded by a slight pause and with a bit of emphasis on it.

Most polite  3

Pages

Latest Comments