Home

So who you got?

Seems like an easy-to-tier event, which means I'll be completely wrong, but if I'm making tiers for the race it looks something like this:

Tier 1: Wiggins
Tier 2: Martin, Cancellara (depends on how close he is to 100%), Froome
Tier 3: Chavanel, Pinotti, Sanchez
Tier 4: Fuglsang, van Garderen (is he in the race?), Phinney, Larsson, Westra, Grabsch, Kwiatkowski (is he in the race?)

Everybody else. OK, I probably missed a couple guys... looked at this in a hurry. So who'd I miss? Or who do I have completely wrong.

101 comments

darren13366 [65 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Van Garderen and Kwiatkowski don't appear on the start list up on cyclingfever. I'd suggest you missed Menchov and Brajkovic from Tier 3?

frankiejay [150 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

The confusing thing is that the Cycling Fever list is different from some other lists. Anybody have a definitive list?

Wig_Billy [578 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I predict there will be a lot of identical teams for the TT, so I wouldn't be surprised if the highest score is shared by more than one person - which concerns me a bit because I've already made quite a lot of transfers (I just can't help myself :D).

0 likes

The key to winning may very well be picking the rider who finishes last. I'm completely serious. That's 10 points for a (probably) super cheap rider. It's just... which obscure rider to pick...

Gkam84 [9086 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I very much doubt Canc will be riding and I've got for something different in my team, I'm not going for all the normal riders  3

drheaton [3318 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

The obvious tactics seem to be either pick three of the top 4 (Wiggins, Froome, Cancellara, Martin) and see who else you can afford (Rogers, Bauer etc) or pick a more balanced team with some quality DSs and only one or two top stars.

Assuming you get the balance right and pick the right cheaper Stars/DSs then I reckon the second option will score more but option 1 is potentially less risky.

silas chime [189 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Don't discount Vinokourov or Boom for top 10 places at least and it looks like only 38-40 starters so half of the riders will score.

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

The obvious tactics seem to be either pick three of the top 4 (Wiggins, Froome, Cancellara, Martin) and see who else you can afford (Rogers, Bauer etc) or pick a more balanced team with some quality DSs and only one or two top stars.

Assuming you get the balance right and pick the right cheaper Stars/DSs then I reckon the second option will score more but option 1 is potentially less risky.

Ignore what I said, I just worked out that if you pick 1, 2, 3 you get a total of 120 points. If you pick 4 - 10 you get 116. Clearly, picking the first three then a a few others in the top 10 is the way to go so I think I'll be loading up on expensive stars.

TERatcliffe26 [4621 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Id like to think all but one of my riders have the potential to top 10 and should come inside the top 20. All my stars should top 10 when you look at recent form/the size of the field.

0 likes

Cancellara confirmed he will be on the startline  26

0 likes

Between Cancellara's crash and Martin's recent injuries is there anyone who can take on Wiggins? What's your in theory top 5?

Wiggins, Cancellara, Froome, Martin, Sanchez?

0 likes

I think the top 5 would be, Wiggo, Froome, Cancellara, Sanchez, Brajkovic

BUT, I'd like to see, Froome, Wiggo, Sanchez, Larsson, Albasini  3 3

chrisdstripes [1726 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Froome or Tejay, Froome or Tejay, Froome or Tejay...  39

0 likes

Is Tejay even racing? I thought it was just Phinney?

dave atkinson [6223 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

He is or he isn't, depending on where you look. for now i've left him in.

0 likes

Velonews just posted this 2 hours ago: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/london-olympics-time-trial-p...

It has Tejay on the startlist, as well as Kwiatkowski (who was another one left off the cyclingfever list.

As for top 5, I'll go:

Wiggins
Froome
Sanchez
Phinney (almost hurts to write this... if he finishes 4th twice the kid may never recover with how he looked after the road race)
Martin

TERatcliffe26 [4621 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

As far as i know Tejay and Kwiatowski are not riding, based on what was said when the teams were announced...

0 likes

If Tejay rides then he's in my team. If he doesn't ride then that'll probably help my team as he's not cheap  39

0 likes

He's not listed here, but then again either is Wiggo, seems to be around 5-8 riders missing  39

Random fact, Did you know that LL Sanchez's brother plays for Real Madrid? I didn't  26

0 likes

RIGHT, conclusive evidence that TVG will NOT be doing the TT

Quote:

Since no men’s road race athletes met the automatic criteria to compete in the individual time trial, Phinney received a discretionary nomination to fill the United States’ sole start position in the race against the clock. A former junior time trial world champion and one of the United States’ most talented up-and-coming time trialists, Phinney earned the prologue win against the world’s best in this season’s first grand tour, the Giro d’Italia.

http://www.usacycling.org/usa-cycling-announces-2012-olympic-team.htm

AWPeleton [3312 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

What about EBH, damn good tt'er.

0 likes

EBH is to expensive and not good enough to make top 5/6

So value for points he isn't worth it, He'll be one of the most unpicked riders this season I think

0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

As far as i know Tejay and Kwiatowski are not riding, based on what was said when the teams were announced...

Correct, As I posted up a bit, Phinney is USA's only rider and Maciej Bodnar is Poland's in the TT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics#Cycling

Quickstep list their riders here aswell

http://omegapharma-quickstep.com/en/news/show/opqs-ready-for-the-2012-lo...

Anyone you want me to check out.....lol

paulbburgoine [9 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

HI al has anyone got any spare tickets for the TT pburgoine [at] gmail.com
Thanks Paul

ray silvester [1836 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

EBH is to expensive and not good enough to make top 5/6

So value for points he isn't worth it, He'll be one of the most unpicked riders this season I think

He's worth it in stage races that start with a TT/Prologue then have a few hilly sprints to follow AND when he's not used as a super-domestique as in the TDF.

0 likes

In fairness EBH was worth picking for the first 4 days of the TdF, decent prologue result, hilly finish, flat lead-out (5 points bonus) then another uphill finish meant he was up there with Sagan score wise after the first few stages.

In a single time trial though he's not nearly cheap enough to be worth a punt.

JAndrewHill [1207 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Am I down to do the itt? I can represent Greece. If bodnar is down for poland is he abit sharp as kwia looked ok for a pick.

JAndrewHill [1207 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Well, apart from martin, who will defo come third I have eight of the top nine in my squad plus gil, who will score ten for last place.  4 44 44

0 likes

Barring any last minute news breakers I have my team set.

My stars are all European (but only 2/5 of my DS are);
I have two sets of riders from two countries;
One rider from the western hemisphere who I think has a chance to medal;
Two riders from east of Europe--one of which I am banking to finish last;
I only have multiple riders from one pro team;
At the last minute I went from three OPQ riders to one;
I have two riders over 30 points, two over 20 points, one over 10 points, one over 5 points, and three under 5 points.

Good luck figuring out my *winning* team  3

0 likes

I have 9 riders, 4 stars and 5 DS  3

Pages