Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

French terms in cycling

A little bit of cheeky product research for something I'm working on  4

Is the overuse of faux French terms in cycling (the damn 'tour de' everywhere) annoying or just a nod to the heritage of the sport?

Does the word Velo annoy you or is it just part of the cycling vocabulary?

For me, 'tour de somewhere not in France' annoys me but my local shop is called 'Spen velo' and it doesn't bother me, it's just a term.

Your thoughts?  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bidon.

I think there's a rule about that.  19

jayme | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do you drink from a Bottle or a Bidon?

Bob's Bikes | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think the over use of all these french terms is just so passé.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

If anyone uses the term "la grand boucle"I would walk away immediately.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

There's a line. Raleigh's examples don't cross it. Tour De bloody everything, on the other hand, does.

My club is 'Velo' so I can't complain about that.

KirinChris | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes to the Tour de... Tour is OK but it should be 'Tour of ...' if used in an English context. Assuming it is a Tour of course.

No problem with Velo... yes it's the French word for bike but they have just adapted it as well from the Latin word for speed.

I'm in France at the moment and was browsing through a French paper at a cafe on Monday. My wife looked at me scornfully, knowing I speak very little French, and was suitably amazed as I managed to convey the general meaning of an article about Wiggins and an interview with Christian Prudhomme.

Just from following cycling I understand so many French terms, and with knowledge of the context as well, it was relatively easy to understand.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gotta love the names for riders though:

Grimpeur, rouleur, domestique, vainqueur, descendeur (my personal favourite).

And stuff like Contre la Montre, flamme rouge, lanterne rouge, maillot a pois rouges etc.

The worst is of course the word for tyre: Pneu

drheaton replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Gotta love the names for riders though:

Grimpeur, rouleur, domestique, vainqueur, descendeur (my personal favourite).

And stuff like Contre la Montre, flamme rouge, lanterne rouge, maillot a pois rouges etc.

The worst is of course the word for tyre: Pneu

I love them but for some reason they always use Gruppo Compatto when the break is caught?! Just throw a random Italian one in there just to mix it up.

Latest Comments