Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Olympic Road Race

Only five days to go!

Start lists are up on Cycling Fever but beware, Cadel Evans has already put his participation in doubt so things may change.

I assume that points will be scored in line with one day classics, something like this from Milan San Remo?

Quote:

Information on scoring

This stage will be scored on the following criteria:

Finish line - one day race: Points awarded for the first 20 riders over the line in a one-day race.

The following points will be awarded (1st-20th): 50, 40, 30, 25, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Last man home: 10 points awarded for the last man home on a tour stage or one-day race

Breakaway bonus: 10 points to any rider in a lead breakaway group of 10 riders or less that's more than a minute ahead of the peloton at half distance

Team bonus: 5 points to every participating rider in the winning rider's team

Dave, will it work like the Worlds last year with two per nationality and team bonus points awarded for same country rather than trade team?

The Favourites seems to be Cavendish, Sagan (although he's racing on his own, no teammates), Goss (who can't win a thing) and Griepel which suggests everyone expects a sprint finish. Can anyone see a lone or small group breakaway winning? Possibly Boonen/Gilbert? Italy always seem to go well too so I expect them to be there or there abouts with Modolo/Paolini.

I think I'll be loading my team with sprinters but might take a punt on Boonen if he's fit (didn't he break some ribs in the Tour of Poland?).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

136 comments

mattbibbings replied to mattbibbings | 11 years ago
0 likes
mattbibbings wrote:

BBC coverage leaves a lot to be desired. Not least the near complete absence of time checks! The one stat that really means something to the viewing public and they have only managed to give 2 or 3 time checks at the top of Box Hill and thats it!

And I could barely hear Hugh Porter at the start over the crowd noise!

I take it back, the Box Hill time checks have been showing up and proving useful to keep track of events.

drheaton replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Riders radio's are banned. So what GB and other teams have done are link up some guys all round the course with radios and stop watches. So they are getting time checks and information all the way around. Might aswell give them radios in their own ears.

Aye, the teams are clever enough to work around lack of time checks and no radios so just let them have the radios. It hasn't benefited the race, hasn't limited GBs ability to judge their chase and hasn't allowed a group to get away.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Who is it sat in front of Cav in the GB train? Can't identify the jersey, is it Eisel?

rcorbin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gone
Cav
Greipel
Goss
Modolo
Impey
Plus 1 USA, GB, GER and Spain ds

Gkam84 replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Who is it sat in front of Cav in the GB train? Can't identify the jersey, is it Eisel?

Yeah I think the baby sitter has arrived to give Cav a hand  3

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wonder if EBH will help with the leadout...

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Could be anyone gets to play leadout. Cav seems to jump on a wheel then swings out at the moment.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

EBH will be going for a medal for himself. But other team sky members who have no hope of a medal might jump in and help shut this break down  3

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gilbert, Fuglsang, Brajkovic, Boom, Gesink, Kolobnev, Kreuziger, Van Garderen, Nibali, Chavanel, Rui Costa, Cancellara, Valverde, Leon Sánchez, Vinokourov, Urán, Henao, ...

at 1.00

0 likes

Got 2 of those

LLSanchez, Kolobnev

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

One minute gap and it sounds like Sanchez and Cancellara are up in the front group along with Valverde. This could come right down to the wire.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I just thought, There were more than 10 in the break at half way......No bonuses for them  3

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think the group may stay away....

Ive just got Kolobnev up the road

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I aint got anyone up the road and unless Germany pull their finger out, there will be no sprint. So I hope something starts moving behind  14

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Froome gone.....All he's done today is sit in Cav's wheel  39

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Froome drops out of the peloton, that's not going to help!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The break has a minute with 26km to go, Its over now

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wonder if Froome is planning on going after the TT over Wiggins?

Gap keeps going up, GB look cooked and the break is just full of great riders. Tempted to call it and say Cav's screwed but there's time yet.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bernie driving on the front  19

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

GB need to sit up and say, we're done and hope that others start pulling along else its totally fecked

0 likes

Peloton not working well. Cav's out of it now.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Another GB rider drops off, I think only Wiggo, Millar and Cav are left

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

If GB sit up then its done, nobody other than Germany want to bring this back. Australia, America, Switzerland, Belgium and Norway all have guys in the break. Italy too and Spain.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Christ, looks like an Italian or maybe Kolobnev gone head first into the barrier.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

It was Cancellara!

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

I need a Spain win, cause i won't be scoring anything else at this rate!  20 No riders in the break for me.....

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nah it was Canc and he's fecked his arm.....Guess who's not going to be in the TT teams for Wednesday  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

This is shit to watch without time checks and even the commentators aren't getting times  14

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Still 57 seconds with 10km to go, Boonen with a problem, its all over for Cav, the group looks to have too much of a break.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I nearly went Henao instead of modolo this morning as they are the same price but didnt and stuck with my gut... Fail! Well this will not even break a score of 10 for me  2

Pages

Latest Comments