Fantasy Cycling - final scores

by Dave Atkinson   July 22, 2012  

Be aware that final scores will be adjusted next week to take out Frank Schleck's points. So you final position may change.

cheers!

dave

15 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Have Remi's already been taken out? Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8859 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 15:32

2 Likes

yup, spent ages doing him Wink

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7381 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 17:20

1 Like

I really don't think you should take out Schleck's points... He earned them...And, it's just a game... Don't penalize the people who picked him for their team... They didn't dope...

Vive Le Road.cc Fantasy Cycling Game!

posted by enrique [1747 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 20:10

2 Likes

I know 'rules are rules' but I don't understand it either. How are we supposed to know who's doping and who isn't?

posted by Wig_Billy [577 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 20:31

3 Likes

Its called tough luck of the draw, you say it its unfair and we dont know that he is doping, but equally it would be unfair for someone to win by picking someone who has cheated over someone who has not.

And as is the case be it right or wrong the rules were set out from the star

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3962 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 20:52

2 Likes

TERatcliffe26 wrote:
Its called tough luck of the draw, you say it its unfair and we dont know that he is doping, but equally it would be unfair for someone to win by picking someone who has cheated over someone who has not.

And as is the case be it right or wrong the rules were set out from the star

Completely agree, rules are rules.

‘It is useless to meet revenge with revenge: it will heal nothing.’

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2758 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 21:02

1 Like

As always we'll review the rules at the end of the season. But for this season they're set. So Frank's points go.

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7381 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 21:11

1 Like

dave_atkinson wrote:
As always we'll review the rules at the end of the season. But for this season they're set. So Frank's points go.

Yes, I completely understand that. Just giving my opinion. Smile

posted by Wig_Billy [577 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 21:27

1 Like

Whilst I'm at it, a point about this part of the rule;

Quote:
'The scores and rankings for each race will be finalised once the race is completed, and we won't revisit them retrospectively should a rider be suspended later in the season. If we've announced a stage winner and the scores are changed due to a disqualification, that score will stand.'

I don't know if anybody here watched this years Tour of Turkey, but there was one guy who was suspiciously better than everybody else - Ivailo Gabrovski. If the fantasy game included that race, many people would've picked him and they would've collected lots of points as a result. But if somebody didn't pick him because they thought he was a bit too good to be true, they would've missed out because there was no positive test announced during the race.
Fast forward two months and it's reported that Gabrovski's urine sample from that race contained EPO. So anybody who didn't pick him would've been right to do so, but they wouldn't benefit because of the time the test results were announced.

To me, it doesn't seem fair that a positive test can either have a huge impact on your team, or no impact at all just because of the timing of the announcement. I appreciate that changing months of fantasy points and possibly reallocating prizes would be an absolute nightmare, but maybe this is something that can be looked at?

posted by Wig_Billy [577 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 22:13

3 Likes

Wig_Billy wrote:
Whilst I'm at it, a point about this part of the rule;
Quote:
'The scores and rankings for each race will be finalised once the race is completed, and we won't revisit them retrospectively should a rider be suspended later in the season. If we've announced a stage winner and the scores are changed due to a disqualification, that score will stand.'

I don't know if anybody here watched this years Tour of Turkey, but there was one guy who was suspiciously better than everybody else - Ivailo Gabrovski. If the fantasy game included that race, many people would've picked him and they would've collected lots of points as a result. But if somebody didn't pick him because they thought he was a bit too good to be true, they would've missed out because there was no positive test announced during the race.
Fast forward two months and it's reported that Gabrovski's urine sample from that race contained EPO. So anybody who didn't pick him would've been right to do so, but they wouldn't benefit because of the time the test results were announced.

To me, it doesn't seem fair that a positive test can either have a huge impact on your team, or no impact at all just because of the timing of the announcement. I appreciate that changing months of fantasy points and possibly reallocating prizes would be an absolute nightmare, but maybe this is something that can be looked at?

I think he has a point......

Can we have a recount of the TdF in 2009 because I never picked Armstrong? Big Grin

posted by londonplayer [671 posts]
22nd July 2012 - 22:38

2 Likes

dave_atkinson wrote:
As always we'll review the rules at the end of the season. But for this season they're set. So Frank's points go.

The wording of the rule might be something to look at if you do decide to keep it (I'm in the camp that says you shouldn't, but that's by-the-by). At the moment it says "if a rider is disqualified or suspended", but as I understand it, officially Frank Schleck withdrew himself after the positive test and was actually neither disqualified nor suspended. He presumably would've been if he hadn't withdrawn, but its just a grey area that some people might get narky about.

Anyway - great three weeks and great game, looking forward to finding out the rules for the Olympics! Wink

chrisdstripes's picture

posted by chrisdstripes [1638 posts]
23rd July 2012 - 8:34

3 Likes

chrisdstripes wrote:
looking forward to finding out the rules for the Olympics! Wink

me too Thinking

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7381 posts]
23rd July 2012 - 9:14

2 Likes

I'm in the camp of leaving it as it stands. If Schleck had tested positive for EPO after doing a Landis and winning a stage by 10 minutes I would have felt guilty for getting points that way if I'd picked him and SO angry if I hadn't and other people had benefited from his cheating.

The rule makes sense and the approach taken for tests post-tour is common sense. Yes, there will be cases where someone tests positive post race but it's too difficult to go back months in order to fix the points. How it's done now makes sense.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
23rd July 2012 - 9:27

5 Likes

if you had a lottery ticket, won the lottery and it turns out it was forged you wouldnt keep the money.......

seriously its frank shleck your only gona loose 5 points Tongue

posted by Lost faith in t... [119 posts]
23rd July 2012 - 10:15

1 Like

Lost faith in the brand wrote:
seriously its frank shleck your only gona loose 5 points Tongue

If it was Tommy V, I would be demanding a recount, but what did Frank do in the Tour? 10th, 10th & 12th place stage finishes.

Not going to impact on the top 3 prizes. As the difference between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 are not going to be impacted by 30 odd points. And he was never in number 3's team.

Possible impact on a stage win but unlikely. A lot of work for little gain Dave

posted by nickobec [260 posts]
23rd July 2012 - 15:01

1 Like