Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ouchie

Hello Ladies and Gentlethings

I'm just back from hospital after being rushed in on Monday night with a duff appendix. Still not totally with it and in some about of pain.

So without taking the piss or false info, can someone give me a quick round up what i've missed in TdF??

Any breaks stay away? Stage winner, that kind of thing.

I read about Schleck, quite a surprise. Anything else interested happened in the cycling world?

I know its only been Tuesday and Wednesday i've not been around or online, but it feels like a month. Not good  20 plus I have to wait 8 weeks before I can get back out on the bike, I'm sure I can do some easy spinning while sitting upright on the trainer??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Raleigh, there is a patch you can get that covers blisters and allows them to dry out whilst not getting infected. I THINK you can get larger patches which do the same thing.

They are waterproof and slightly cushioned, it might help mate.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got some savlon like that.

But it St-ings.  2

And you still have to leave a dressing.

West thing is because Im campaigning in the laser this summer as well, it gets wet everyday, so I'm havibg to resress it pretty much every day after sailing before bike.  22

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Someone told me about a drying spray with iodine - you scrub the wound then spray this on. It dries the wound, meaning no peeling the sheets off in the morning, and I *think* you then don't cover it. Can't remember the name of the blasted stuff though.

Keep smiling, this is turning into a walking wounded thread!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

OK, I'm gonna sound like a freak here and don't ask how I found this out, it was some old dude that patched me up on day.

You need something like Gold Bond medicated powder, put that over the wound. Then get an sanitary towel, put that over and then just wrap some normal bandage round, like you would put on a sprain. Then just change the pad daily and put more powder on it. Shouldn't take long to heal over  26

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Talking of ouchie, does anyone have any road rash tips?

I was racing on Wednesday at Trinity Park (ipswich) and some old[er] person tipped me off on a 90˚ corner. Upshot is, I took a lap out and finished second, BUT I scraped down both hips, elbow, RUINED my Icebreaker merino and Bibshorts, ground down my Carbon rival lever to a nice point and bashed both wheels out of true.

What do I use, Hydrocolloid?

Because removing Surgical tape hurts like NOTHING else.  2

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Something like that in a couple of weeks, because its highland games time  3

Here is just one of many kilted pictures of me  19

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is that a picture of you that Raleigh has stumbled upon Gkam?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, the problem being, I just cant get the supply of poison like him  3

0 likes

Dunno, something about "why sit on your ar$e when charged to the eyeballs, that's just wasting it!" No idea what he could mean.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Does he want me to call him or shall I wait for the phone to ring??  3

charliemac74 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not going to comment what comes up when I search for cock-ney.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

This is the first thing that comes up when I search Scotchman:

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant Stumps love it!! There is still time for our 'scottish' cousins to take Raleigh to task  19

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Time to get back into your barrel then and mature a few years  3

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gkam - coming from only 60 miles from the border i'm virtually a Scotch myself  19  19  19

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

19 Stumps  4  4  4  4  4

I'm still doped up to the eye balls, so didn't even notice it.  31

notfastenough replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

19 Stumps  4  4  4  4  4

I'm still doped up to the eye balls, so didn't even notice it.  31

Frank called, he wants a chat.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Raleigh, i'm surprised you haven't been brought to task yet by some of our Northern friends - its Scots, Scotch is a drink or a form of broth.

Or from an on line famous dictionary:
The natives of Scotland refer to themselves as Scots or, in the singular, Scot, Scotsman, or Scotswoman. The related adjectives are Scottish or, less commonly, Scots. Scotch as a noun or adjective is objected to except when used of whisky and in established phrases like Scotch egg and Scotch pine. In the United States, Scotch is often used where the Scots themselves, or some Americans of Scottish descent, would prefer Scottish or Scots.

There you go i hope you feel suitably chastised  4

daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes

This last week, we found out that Sagan is a future TdF winner, Team Sky are machines, Wiggo will return the favour to Froome when the course suits him (Cav might have something to say about that), Voeckler is fantastically mad and a great rider, Tejay is ready to lead team BMC, Nibali has no answer, Cav's learned his lines (for this year, at least), Frank suddenly wants Alberto's phone number (apparently, he needs to find a good butcher), and a French carpet fitter has lost a few tacks.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

My family live in Scotland, and for my birthday once I got a Scotland Cycling Jersey, I think the Commie games kit, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, yesterday in the Suffolk Lanes, a guy on a touring bike came up and said:

"A Scottish Cyclist! You've come a long way."

He was very disappointed that I wasn't actually Scotch, but said next time I was there, he'd race me up Arthur's seat.

Does anyone follow @TweeterSagan?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't know why its 8 weeks, The leaflet says 6 weeks for simple things like hoovering and cutting the grass. I explained to the Dr that I do alot of cycling and how soon could I get back out, 8 weeks was his advice, but nothing huge until I feel comfortable doing some short runs to see how my muscle's hold up and have healed  39

0 likes

Twice as a child I was within inches of the anaesthetic for Appendix extraction, then they decided it was constipation and didn't bother! Hope you're well.

If I'm honest, it wasn't the attacking stage I was hoping for when I set out my little plan to work from home for Wednesday with the live footage on next to me with the laptop in front.

Early break, 38 riders!

Voeckler rode everyone off his wheel to get the KOM jersey and the stage. Great result for him, love the way he lights up a race.

Loads of work early on from Eisel and Cav.

Nibali, Basso and 1 other LC rider attacked a few times but Froome/Wiggo/Porte kept with him, until it whittled down to just the top 3, then near the end of the last climb Nibali went again, Froome was cooked, so Wiggo came round him and chased. Same result as all the other attacks.

Cuddles had a dodgy stomach and kept yo-yo-ing off the GC contenders group until the elastic finally snapped. Teejay pressed on and is now top hope for BMC.

Chris Horner left a riderless bike on the road and launched himself into the adjacent ravine. Got back on and continued.

George Hincapie looked like Pudsey Bear with bandages ahoy.

Still, I got out for a couple of hours afterwards and knocked 24 seconds off my best time on a local cat4. When I'm crocked however, I (health permitting, obviously) do stuff that will benefit me later - stretching, core strength, leg strength exercises, tinkering with the bike. Even though you're not on the bike, I find that the feeling of your fitness withering away is decreased and it's easier to deal with.

Best of luck. Why 8 weeks?

Oh and if the B sample comes back positive, Frank is alleging poisoning! (Um, I can well believe that he isn't on PEDs, anyway...) Given that xipamide is a diuretic, (and ironic given the wording of your request) someone is indeed 'taking the piss'. Perhaps the French cows were due a doping control...or something.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Aparrently the only cure for a duff appendix is a Felt AR1 Di2

Gkam84 replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Aparrently the only cure for a duff appendix is a Felt AR1 Di2

Can you do me a prescription for that as we get them free in Scotland  3

Thats Drheaton for the little round up, looks like it could be a good day for attacks today

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Evans was suffering from 'stomach problems' and I think the heat got to him. I think this was probably anticipated though for BMC as TJ seemed to have been given the OK in advance to sit with the first group rather than go back to help Evans.

Pinot was another one suffering.

Stage highlights... well other than Nibali attacking and Froome/Wiggins closing him down not alot actually happened, it was a long break that splintered and Voeckler managed to capitalise.

Marauder | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Gkam sorry to hear about your pain  20

It looks like Evans has been having a bad few days and lost about 5mins on Wiggo.

You should be able to get hightlights of the stage on ITV's player. Cant check myself being at work.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got the app, yeah, managed to get someone to help me out of bed and through the house to watch today's stage.

Missed the highlights of yesterday.

What happened to Evans?  39

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Can you download the free app from aso / skoda. You can even live track the stage on it.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Seriously though, I'm stuck in bed with only my phone and tablet computer for company, So just a quick who won after rest day.

Was there a good break, anyone jump off?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Turns out Hushovd was riding the tour after all, but under the cover of invisibility.

He's been awarded all the stages do far, and is currently an hour ahead of Wiggo on the GC.

Latest Comments